• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Mike’s Camponotus journal

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Tai_pan1 - Posted April 18 2022 - 9:58 AM

Tai_pan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationGoose Creek, South Carolina, USA

Camponotus castaneus

colony currently consists of queen and five workers.  Currently in a test tube attached to an AC test tube portal.  Can’t see inside test tube to count eggs, larva or pupae due to current configuration.  Workers active at night.

Camponotus discolor

Currently a queen with 6 workers, 4 or 5 pupae and eggs and larva in a THA mini.  Had five workers and noticed two of them and the queen working on the cocoon of the 6th worker last night.  This morning the 6th worker was in the nest.  Looks like several more pupae are ready to eclose.

Camponotus Ocreatus

Currently a queen with 5 workers in a bamboo test tube attached to a homemade outworld.  Had 6 workers but one drowned in honey due to my lack of knowledge.  That won’t happen again.  They are very excitable ants and are active during the day.  Several pupae as well as eggs and larva.

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Queen and 6 eggs in a test tube.  Test tube covered in red film.

Camponotus vicinus

Queen with 2 eggs in a test tube.  She was in another test tube with 3 or 4 eggs.  During shipping the test tube flooded.  I transferred her to another test tube.  Eggs did not make it.  She now has 2 new eggs.  I’ll be surprised if this colony makes it.

• That_one_ant_guy and lazyant like this

#2 Offline Tai_pan1 - Posted May 26 2022 - 4:08 PM

Tai_pan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Camponotus castaneus

Colony is now up to 11 workers with at least 3 or 4 more pupae.   Hard to see due to the test tube insert.  These ants continue to be very skittish, even adding fruit flies freaked them out, but they calm down relatively quickly.  They seem to prefer meal worms over fruit flies and sugar water over honey.  They have munched on a jellybean.  

as a note, male alates of this species have been flying in my area, but no queens yet.  I hope to get a queen or two this year, but we will see.

Camponotus discolor

This colony is doing well, and are fun to watch.  They are up to 9 workers, and two have died.  I assume from old age, as everyone looks healthy.  These girls definitely prefer fruit flies but will take mealworms as well.  The are awesome to watch as they hunt down the fruit flies.  Little killing machines!   I attached a second THA mini to the colony since the outworld of the first mini had some sort of fungus take over.  I plugged up the contaminated outworld and they don’t seem to mind going to the second outworld.   The colony remains in the first mini with a nice pile of brood and eggs.  I count 5 more pupae in the pike.  They could care less about light or being disturbed.  If anyone is looking for a fun, easy Camponotus species, I highly recommend.

Camponotus Ocreatus

This colony has been a disappointment and I’m not really sure what I’ve done wrong.  Two ants eclosed, but they were shriveled and seem to be dead when eaten out of their cocoon.  The 5 workers have all since died.  There were two pupae, and one looked yellowish and one was white.  The queen also has a couple of eggs.  The yellow pupae disappeared but the white one remains.  I’m thinking the prognosis for this colony is not good.

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Hard to tell through the red film, and I don’t want to move the test tube, but it appears there are several pupae and some eggs

Camponotus vicinus

This queen is a fighter.  It appears that there are two pupae and several eggs and brood.  Again, it’s hard to see exactly what is going on through the red film and I don’t want to move the test tube.  I’m hopeful that she’ll eventually found a colony.

other items

caught some queens the other night.  Thanks to the folks here on the forum, I think three of them are Pheidole.  The other 5 are even smaller and I am unable to get any sort of decent picture.  They are all black and very small.  I am still hopeful that I will catch the Camponotus castaneus nuptial flight.

• UtahAnts likes this

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 26 2022 - 4:12 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Blacklights work nicely to attract C. castaneus queens.
  • ColAnt735 and Tai_pan1 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline Tai_pan1 - Posted May 26 2022 - 5:18 PM

Tai_pan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Blacklights work nicely to attract C. castaneus queens.

I sure hope so.  I know it does a great job attracting males, but I have yet to see a queen.  Fingers crossed that they’ll be out soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users