Hello there new here!
I need some help with a wasp/ant I found. I'm thinking she's a flightless wasp but not sure if she may still be a queen ant. I'm new to ant keeping and have already found a few Queens around my home that have started laying eggs for me. if she is a Queen, I'll add her to my new collection. If she's a wasp I'll release her back where I found her.
Here are some pictures I was able to get of her and some info on where I found her.
1. Location of collection: CURRA, QLD
2. Date of collection: 22/10/21
3. Habitat of collection: Open woodlands near rocks and leaf litter.
4. Length (from head to gaster): 5mm
5. Colour, hue, pattern and texture: Black with some banding on the gaster, its also very hairy under the light on the gaster. Head and thorax are shiny, black in colour. Reddish/orange tipped antennal and tips of feet.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Flat pointed gaster. Small head compared to body size.
7. Distinguishing behaviour: Antennal move very quick when walking. Similar to other native wasps I've seen. Huddles up with head tucked under body when not moving.