• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Clypeal notch?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Foogoo - Posted July 3 2015 - 10:54 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I'm asking specifically for Camponotus but this can apply to any ant. Would somebody mind explaining with pictures what exactly the clypeal notch is? I've spent a good amount of time googling pictures, reading papers and forum posts but I'm still not positive what this notch is. Thanks.

• AntTeen804 likes this

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 3 2015 - 5:58 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I took this picture of the clypeal notch on a Camponotus hyatti major a while back for an ID thread. This species is of the Myrmentoma subgenus which are all relatively small and have clypeal notches. The picture's not the best, but I think it shows it pretty clearly.

gallery_2_175_98590.jpg

#3 Offline Foogoo - Posted July 3 2015 - 6:08 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Thank you! That helps a lot. It's the notch at the bottom of the clypeus, right about the madibles right?

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#4 Offline Foogoo - Posted July 3 2015 - 6:09 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

The trouble I'm having is take for example this C. vicinus, looks like there is no notch, not even a shallow one. Am I missing something?

Camponotus_vicinus_casent0102789_head_1.

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 3 2015 - 6:15 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

No, you're absolutely right. C. vicinus doesn't have a notch because it is not a Myrmentoma; it's a Tanaemyrmex.

And yes, based on your description, you were looking at the notch in my picture.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users