• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Solenopsis aurea/amblychila ID (Agua Chinon, CA) (6-17-14)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline kellakk - Posted July 2 2015 - 6:21 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

I have a Solenopsis minor that I'm trying to identify to species for my internship.  I'm using this guide to try to identify it.  I got the best face shot possible with the stereo microscope that I was using, but it's really hard to judge for me which species this is.  Can anyone help me?

Solenopsis aurea/amblychila Face

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#2 Offline cpman - Posted July 2 2015 - 7:28 PM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
Minors are tricky to ID. I don't have access to it, but according to Dr. Trager's key to this genus, Carlton, C. E. 1987. Identification of Arkansas fire ant (Hymenoptera: Formicidae: Solenopsis spp.) workers can be used for minors. I'm unsure if it has these two species, as Arkansas may be too far west.
Dr. Trager does note that S. ambychila "resembl[es] a small, yellowish S. xyloni and very closely resembling S. aurea from which only queens and major workers can be distinguished with certainty," so I do wish you luck with this difficult ID...
Also, in Mackay and Mackay (2002), they say that the smallest workers of these species are indistinguishable.

Edited by cpman, July 2 2015 - 7:43 PM.

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 2 2015 - 7:55 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

This is the first time I've looked at the differences between these species, and after looking at images on AntWeb, I think the differences are pretty clear. I was always under the assumption that the ones I have been finding were S. amblychila, and I just took a look at one of the queen specimens I have, and it's definitely S. amblychila. As for this specimen of yours, I have no idea.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users