• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

10 queen lasius neoniger experiment

neos :l

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#21 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted September 11 2021 - 9:01 PM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • LocationOregon

i d c

If you don't care about your colonies, you probably shouldn't keep ants. Or any pets for that matter.

Edited by TacticalHandleGaming, September 11 2021 - 9:02 PM.

• smares, TestSubjectOne, Antkeeper01 and 3 others like this

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus semirufus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole californica, Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel. 

#22 Offline GRIMM_OwO_ - Posted September 11 2021 - 9:08 PM

GRIMM_OwO_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Locationseattle wa
:l

Edited by GRIMM_OwO_, September 14 2021 - 7:56 PM.

#23 Offline eea - Posted September 11 2021 - 9:10 PM

eea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

I wish you don't find anymore queens  (n)

• smares, Antkeeper01, Moonant01 and 1 other like this

-camponotus sansabeanus: 20 wokrers

#24 Offline GRIMM_OwO_ - Posted September 11 2021 - 9:15 PM

GRIMM_OwO_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Locationseattle wa
:l

Edited by GRIMM_OwO_, September 14 2021 - 7:56 PM.

#25 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 11 2021 - 9:22 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Umm is pleometrosis suddenly considered cruel now? Its a legitimate founding strategy in captivity for getting a larger batch of nanitics and they do it in the wild as well.
  • Mdrogun, NickAnter, OiledOlives and 2 others like this

#26 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 12 2021 - 2:03 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
It is somewhat cruel if one is doing it just to F around with some queens you don’t care about as the OP says. He’s free to do what he wants, just don’t post about it here and expect us to toast your marshmallows or something.
  • smares, AntsDakota, Chickalo and 3 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#27 Online futurebird - Posted September 12 2021 - 4:02 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

I think OP just became kind of defensive, and that's understandable given that we were kinda piling on. I just want them to know that it's probably going to just end up with queens dying. And if you work with ants you can say "don't care" but personally I don't assume anyone is that boring or dead inside to go to all the trouble of working with such small fragile creatures, something that takes patience, care, and intelligence... but then just not care if you put those creatures in a situation where they won't be able to thrive. I have more faith in OP than that. 

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#28 Offline AntsDakota - Posted September 12 2021 - 6:22 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

It is somewhat cruel if one is doing it just to F around with some queens you don’t care about as the OP says. He’s free to do what he wants, just don’t post about it here and expect us to toast your marshmallows or something.

I agree with this. Condemning any living thing to death for an 'experiment' (by definition this isn't a scientific experiment whatsoever) is cruel and inhumane. However I would be fine with an ant keeper using pleometrosis in order to yield a larger generation of nanitics as Manitobant said, just not killing queens since he doesn't care about the species. 

• smares, ANTdrew, Antkeeper01 and 3 others like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#29 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted September 12 2021 - 7:53 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

I agree with this. Condemning any living thing to death for an 'experiment' (by definition this isn't a scientific experiment whatsoever) is cruel and inhumane. However I would be fine with an ant keeper using pleometrosis in order to yield a larger generation of nanitics as Manitobant said, just not killing queens since he doesn't care about the species. 

I've done this once with a native species: Pogonomyrmex occidentalis, but only because I believed that they were infertile and now that they have larvae I plan to seperat them once they get a worker

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#30 Offline smares - Posted September 13 2021 - 12:05 AM

smares

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLakewood, Colorado
Grimm, why are you attacking people right out the gate? If you care so little about your pets why even bother collecting them? Why bother posting here if you don't care what we say?
  • Antkeeper01, TacticalHandleGaming, azzaaazzzz00 and 2 others like this

#31 Offline Chickalo - Posted September 13 2021 - 4:27 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

I think I'm late to the party, but I'm still putting my opinions and experiences in here so I don't feel left out D:

First, in my experience Lasius can lay before hibernation, but always get workers after.  More often then not it's eaten before hibernation and relaid after.  I do think it has to do with regional difference, obviously up here in massachusetts we got decently long winters, but very cold (anywhere from 20 to -10 degrees fahrenheit I think) so it's probably smarter for them to begin founding after their sleep.

Second, with what Manitobant said (I do still have you blocked on Discord btw, I hope you know that), Pleo founding is a decent strategy.  I wouldn't do it for some species that's uncommon, but sure I'd do it for Tetramorium immigrans since it's not like nature is going to run out of them any time soon haha.  However, smashing 10 queens into a test tube (especially 10 queens of my favourite species) is as I'd define it, a "Cruel and unusual punishment," which goes against eighth commandment in the United States of America, fun fact.  Say "I D C about ur opinion" all you want, but honestly it is a bit...  weird?

Third, please use better grammar, I tend to be a grammar police but, like, what you've been saying really hurts my head I'm not going to lie.  Sure it's not about ants, but like, Rule 7 here.  You've said IDC quite a few times.  Not going to bother you too much but in my opinion it's not okay to type okay like ok, okay? 

Anyways, if you read my text block many thanks, have a nice day and I hope your neoniger don't die unnecessarily, Lasius my Beloved! 

Edited by Chickalo, September 13 2021 - 4:27 AM.

• Antkeeper01, azzaaazzzz00 and antgallery like this

シグナチャーです。예.

#32 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted September 13 2021 - 5:28 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

I think I'm late to the party, but I'm still putting my opinions and experiences in here so I don't feel left out D:

First, in my experience Lasius can lay before hibernation, but always get workers after.  More often then not it's eaten before hibernation and relaid after.  I do think it has to do with regional difference, obviously up here in massachusetts we got decently long winters, but very cold (anywhere from 20 to -10 degrees fahrenheit I think) so it's probably smarter for them to begin founding after their sleep.

Second, with what Manitobant said (I do still have you blocked on Discord btw, I hope you know that), Pleo founding is a decent strategy.  I wouldn't do it for some species that's uncommon, but sure I'd do it for Tetramorium immigrans since it's not like nature is going to run out of them any time soon haha.  However, smashing 10 queens into a test tube (especially 10 queens of my favourite species) is as I'd define it, a "Cruel and unusual punishment," which goes against eighth commandment in the United States of America, fun fact.  Say "I D C about ur opinion" all you want, but honestly it is a bit...  weird?

Third, please use better grammar, I tend to be a grammar police but, like, what you've been saying really hurts my head I'm not going to lie.  Sure it's not about ants, but like, Rule 7 here.  You've said IDC quite a few times.  Not going to bother you too much but in my opinion it's not okay to type okay like ok, okay? 

Anyways, if you read my text block many thanks, have a nice day and I hope your neoniger don't die unnecessarily, Lasius my Beloved! 

Whispers not to mention they are native

• Chickalo likes this

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

#33 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 13 2021 - 5:39 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I would also like to add that in my opinion stuffing 10 queens in a tube is literally nothing. Neoniger fly en masse, and i have caught over 150 in the past week, and my friends in Ontario have caught over 500. They are extremely common, and not to mention most of these queens would've died in the wild anyways.
  • NickAnter, OiledOlives and Chickalo like this

#34 Offline Chickalo - Posted September 13 2021 - 5:44 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

I would also like to add that in my opinion stuffing 10 queens in a tube is literally nothing. Neoniger fly en masse, and i have caught over 150 in the past week, and my friends in Ontario have caught over 500. They are extremely common, and not to mention most of these queens would've died in the wild anyways.

They don't fly that in large of numbers here, I don't know if it's because it's heavily populated in the greater Boston area or something.  I kinda forgot the majority of queens die during founding in the wild.  

• TacticalHandleGaming and antgallery like this

シグナチャーです。예.

#35 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted September 13 2021 - 5:53 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

"extremely common" HA not where I live and how I would love a colony of these.

• Chickalo, TacticalHandleGaming and antgallery like this

#36 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted September 13 2021 - 6:52 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • LocationOregon

"extremely common" HA not where I live and how I would love a colony of these.

Literally have had zero luck finding any so far this year. Really would love another colony since they are such a fun little species.

• TestSubjectOne, Antkeeper01, Chickalo and 1 other like this

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus semirufus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole californica, Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel. 

#37 Offline AntsDakota - Posted September 13 2021 - 10:02 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I D C  about your hate comments

If you don't want critique, why, may I ask, are you a member of this forum? The whole point of forums like this is to receive advice from more experienced people; if you take this advice as 'hate comments', then perhaps this place of sharing, advice, and critique isn't the best for you.

• Antkeeper01 and cap_backfire like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#38 Offline AntsDakota - Posted September 13 2021 - 10:05 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

IDC OK leave me alone 

or just leave my experiment alone

Why did you post this 'experiment' here in the first place then? Its awful immature to assume that everyone will have the same opinions as you on things like this; not everyone will pat you on the back for everything you do. 

• Antkeeper01 and TacticalHandleGaming like this

#39 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 13 2021 - 3:11 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

How is blasting him and calling him cruel a "critque"? A statement to that side is quite absurd in my opinion. I have personally seen Lasius species found in groups of 20 or more in the wild, it is perfectly natural. If a couple queens die, it is rather to be expected. Their survival rate in the wild would have been far lower. Do I think this is the best thing to do? No. But is it something that is akin to tossing your ants in the microwave for 30 seconds and seeing what's going to happen? No. If he wishes to do this, then he probably won't change his mind, and constantly talking about how horrible it is adds nothing to the forum.

And to the OP. Generally, responding in text shorthand doesnt lend to seriousness.

Edited by NickAnter, September 13 2021 - 3:13 PM.

• Kaelwizard, Manitobant, OiledOlives and 2 others like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#40 Offline KadinB - Posted September 14 2021 - 6:45 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Umm is pleometrosis suddenly considered cruel now? Its a legitimate founding strategy in captivity for getting a larger batch of nanitics and they do it in the wild as well.

tbh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users