• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Weird thing in my Dubia Roach Breeder

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline antgallery - Posted September 8 2021 - 3:54 PM

antgallery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

There is this weird thing in my Dubia roach breeder I don't know if it is baby Dubia's or what as I am VERY new to keeping Dubia's. Any help would be greatly appreciated. To me it looks kind of like a small caterpillar. They're everywhere in my breeder and I don't know whether to be worried or not. The bottom is white with a small spot of black near the head and the top is black with long spikey hair.

Attached Images

• 20210908_184631.jpg

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 8 2021 - 5:02 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Dermestid beetle larva.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#3 Offline TestSubjectOne - Posted September 8 2021 - 5:03 PM

TestSubjectOne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I believe this is a Dermestid beetle larva, a common cleanup crew and feeder. They are decomposers and are often used to clean skeletons for museums of collections. You could culture them yourself or feed them off, but I would suggest separating them from your Dubias if practical so they don't compete for food. They are commonly bred so my guess is that the Dubia breeders mixed them somehow. By the way, young dubias are nymphs that look similar to adults. They do not have larvae, and instead of laying eggs the female will hatch the eggs in an "ootheca" or internal egg sack until the babies are ready to hatch and they expel the ootheca

• Antkeeper01 likes this

TestSubjectOne's Experiences in Antkeeping General Journal

Currently Keeping:

- Veromessor pergandei (1 queen, 600 workers)

- Novomessor cockerelli (1 queen, 200 workers)

- Myrmecocystus mexicanus (1 queen, 100 workers)

- Brachymyrmex patagonicus (3 queens?, 2,000 workers? & alates)

- Crematogaster sp. (1 queen, 600 workers)

- Liometopum occidentale (1 queen, 800 workers)

- Camponotus absqualator (1 queen, 130 workers)

#4 Offline antgallery - Posted September 8 2021 - 7:52 PM

antgallery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

I believe this is a Dermestid beetle larva, a common cleanup crew and feeder. They are decomposers and are often used to clean skeletons for museums of collections. You could culture them yourself or feed them off, but I would suggest separating them from your Dubias if practical so they don't compete for food. They are commonly bred so my guess is that the Dubia breeders mixed them somehow. By the way, young dubias are nymphs that look similar to adults. They do not have larvae, and instead of laying eggs the female will hatch the eggs in an "ootheca" or internal egg sack until the babies are ready to hatch and they expel the ootheca

Okay, thank you very much for the answer! I will try to separate them and maybe breed them, I'm not sure yet.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#5 Offline JamesJohnson - Posted September 8 2021 - 8:01 PM

JamesJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

You could culture them yourself or feed them off, but I would suggest separating them from your Dubias if practical so they don't compete for food.

Dermestid beetles usually eat dead Dubias and scraps of stuff even Dubias wouldn’t eat, so I would actually recommend keeping them in the colony.
  • Kaelwizard and Antkeeper01 like this

#6 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted September 9 2021 - 5:59 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

You could culture them yourself or feed them off, but I would suggest separating them from your Dubias if practical so they don't compete for food.

Dermestid beetles usually eat dead Dubias and scraps of stuff even Dubias wouldn’t eat, so I would actually recommend keeping them in the colony.

Agreed.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users