• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant ID, Camponotus? (6-12-2015) (Angelus Oaks, CA)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Foogoo - Posted June 30 2015 - 3:30 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I assumed this was Camponotus vicinus and forgot about it until I was looking up some C. vicinus and it appears their workers are yellow, or at least not jet black. This one was completely black, about 10mm long. Any ideas?

IMG 20150612 134520

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#2 Offline Foogoo - Posted June 30 2015 - 3:35 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

C. laevigatus maybe?

• Jonathan21700 likes this

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 30 2015 - 6:45 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

C. laevigatus without a doubt. Let me guess, this was found on a giant downed pine tree, possibly during the day?

#4 Offline Foogoo - Posted June 30 2015 - 8:53 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

C. laevigatus without a doubt. Let me guess, this was found on a giant downed pine tree, possibly during the day?

That was my thought after doing some reading and seeing the hairs. Close enough, on a stump during the day. :D

Aside from the clypus, are there any distinguishing features between C. vicinus and C. quercicola? I'm now wondering what the queen I found is and I can't seem to get a good look at her clypus.

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 1 2015 - 8:22 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I think the head on C. quercicola is a lot larger. From what I have seen, C. vicinus have relatively small heads, and they don't stick out past the sides of their thorax. The C. quercicola I have, as well as my C. laevigatus queens have big heads that stick out farther than the sides of their thorax. Also, C. quercicola eggs look like those of C. laevigatus--really elongated; almost like cricket eggs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users