• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Aphaenogaster sp. confirmation?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Offline m99 - Posted August 10 2021 - 11:56 AM

m99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationCT

This little lady just walked right up to me in my attic apartment about an hour ago. Getting pictures of her was hilarious, she really had the zoomies until I managed to smear a little Sunburst in there and keep her still enough for the last shot. It was at least comforting to know she hadn't been hurt after having to be flicked into the tube to save her from my cat's interference hah.

To my first-year totally amateur eyes, this seems like a classic Aphaeongaster, no? Given the details below, I have to assume Picea?

Size: Hard to measure Ms. Zoomies but looks around 8-11mm. A little bigger than my tetramorium queens.

Notable: Those petioles, and then in one of the pics you can clearly see whatever you call the spiky bits on the end of her thorax? Both seem to match with Picea pictures, plus the body carriage seems pretty distinct even to a noob like me.

So, if she is as expected, do you think she'd be happiest in just a basic tube setup (eventually to be connected to AC tube portal for young feeding until formicarium?) or the spare Por Amor apartment I have? Care sheets mention a strong preference for humid/dry zones in the nest, and the Apartment has a grouted inner chamber (high humidity) and a non-grouted outer chamber that can be used to extend the nest that's dryer, so I wondered.

Thanks for your help!

20210810 151913
20210810 151933
20210810 152608
20210810 152649

Edited by m99, August 10 2021 - 11:57 AM.

#2 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 10 2021 - 12:06 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

100% Aphaenogaster, but I don't know about species.

• m99 likes this

#3 Offline m99 - Posted August 10 2021 - 12:15 PM

m99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationCT

Once I get her into her (slightly) clearer AC test tube, what angles/body parts would be best for confirming species?

#4 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 10 2021 - 12:28 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Please ignore my apparent inability to distinguish a V from a Y.

Edited by NickAnter, August 10 2021 - 12:33 PM.

• m99 likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#5 Offline m99 - Posted August 10 2021 - 12:31 PM

m99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationCT

OOH! Not a picea? Exciiiiiting! They're literally flying coast to coast today, huh?

What's the distinguishing features for you on that ID?

Edited by m99, August 10 2021 - 12:31 PM.

#6 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 10 2021 - 12:32 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Oh NVM. I thought this was NV, not NY...
Could be one of a couple species then.
  • m99 likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#7 Offline m99 - Posted August 10 2021 - 12:40 PM

m99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationCT

Oh haha, even still. I suppose it doesn't affect the care either way, maybe I'll get more pictures clearer on that can help nail down an ID.

*edit* Either way, she's loaded to the gills with Sunburst and most definitely fertile and eager to lay in her final claustral tube, hooray. Here's hoping for a healthy batch of nanitics before hibernation season starts setting in!

20210810 170355 (1)
20210810 170548 (1)

Edited by m99, August 10 2021 - 1:20 PM.

#8 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 10 2021 - 2:39 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
When I lived in MI Aphaenogaster queens laid eggs before hibernating so hopefully it will be the same for you.
  • m99 likes this

#9 Offline m99 - Posted August 10 2021 - 2:48 PM

m99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationCT

Phew that's good news. We've still got a solid 60 days of good temperatures even overnight here, so I'd hope so. She was definitely very focused on cleaning her business end even in the capture tube, which is what my tetramorium girls all did who were laying within 48 hours.

I've got her in a separate box with a tantruming carpenter queen now so I'll properly leave them alone for at least 3-4 weeks and hopefully spy plenty of brood once I check!

#10 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted August 10 2021 - 2:54 PM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
Maybe rudis I caught a bunch of these here a month ago.

Attached Images

• 97A61C8F-749A-4418-AFD7-4E731D655929.png

• m99 likes this

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#11 Offline m99 - Posted August 10 2021 - 3:32 PM

m99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationCT

Maybe rudis I caught a bunch of these here a month ago.

How much red undertone would you say yours have? It was hard to get a close look at mine since, but I definitely didn't see any signs of it, and that seems like a common sign of Rudis? At least based on google pics. But they all look the same at the end of the day outside a microscope lol oi

#12 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted August 10 2021 - 4:52 PM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
They’re barely dark red super close to brown. They do have similar gastors to rudis. Here’s better pictures

Attached Images

• 29C9A639-C290-43EC-9B60-7FE9958D1894.png
  • B481D54E-40BF-4406-88C9-D86717157CA4.png

• m99 likes this

Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#13 Offline m99 - Posted August 10 2021 - 6:26 PM

m99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationCT

Oh yeah that could be a definite possibility. Shame I only found the one, I guess seeing how a few queens reacted to being housed together might have helped narrow things down a bit. I'm guessing workers have a few more differentiating features that'll make it easier to get an ID? Hopefully.

#14 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 10 2021 - 6:30 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
I’ve heard that A. rudis might be a species complex but I’m not sure if this is true.
  • m99 likes this

#15 Offline m99 - Posted August 10 2021 - 7:29 PM

m99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationCT

Ah! Antwiki says picea and rudis can be distinguished by slight lightening of the antenna's tip-most segment in picea, vs. single shade in rudis. The queen pics google gives me seem to hold that out.

AND I was just showing a friend a pic I got of my queen where you could see the texture of her antenna very clearly which I thought was cool...

Hmm. Well, this is definitely lightening at the tip, but I feel like it could just be thinner body tissue being backlit toward the tip, too. Though I guess if it were as heavily pigmented it wouldn't lighten so much?

20210810 151911

Aha! No, it's definitely lighter, confirmed in other photos but can see it most clearly here.

20210810 170515

Alright, that's good enough for me. Who am I to contradict the wiki the ants wrote themselves after all?  :D  Picea it is!

Edited by m99, August 10 2021 - 7:30 PM.

#16 Offline m99 - Posted August 15 2021 - 12:22 AM

m99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationCT

Eggs! I'm sure she'll probably eat them now that I peeked, but at least I know she's fertile lol. I'll probably add her to my ongoing journal if she's still going strong next time I check.

#17 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted August 15 2021 - 5:33 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
I think I caught some a. Rudis last night this is probably picea
  • m99 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users