• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Strange Occurrence

missing legs death

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Dave - Posted June 28 2015 - 8:50 PM

Dave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

So, my partner has little black ants in her kitchen every summer, in Ontario, Canada. She has been feeding them for like 14 years (drops of honey, pieces of fruit etc. on the kitchen counters). Because she was expecting to move out this Spring, she hasn't fed them because she doesn't want them to get used to friendly ant feeding humans this year and then get killed off by the next tenants who will likely not honor this arrangement. As a result, we haven't seen many of them and assumed they found an outdoor source of food.

Here's where things get strange. We were away for a couple of of weeks and came back to find dozens, if not hundreds of dead ants everywhere - in the sinks, on the floor, counters, up the stairs etc. We found many survivors that were missing limbs and antennae. Several were left with just 2 legs - one on each side. We gave mercy to the ones in the worst shape and prompty put out some honey for the survivors, incase this was due to starvation.

Does anyone know what would cause such a mass ant die off and so many missing appendages? Could they have been attacked by another colony? Are there diseases that do this? Would starvation do this? It's an old country kitchen, so they should easily be able to get outside for food. We are just so confused over this.

Edited by Dave, June 28 2015 - 8:51 PM.

#2 Offline Ants4fun - Posted June 28 2015 - 9:05 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Are you sure that there where no pesticides used in the house while you where away? If not, this might be the after math of a Tetramorium sp.E battle. In spring when they remark their terretories, they fight for space. These battles are quite often, and there are a lot of casualties. The fact that they were missing limbs as well helps that theory.
  • Miles, LC3 and Dave like this

#3 Offline Dave - Posted June 28 2015 - 9:41 PM

Dave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Absolutely no pesticides, ever. We would know if somebody came to spray because we have security cameras all over the place.

This is a pic of the ants http://s1045.photobu...hd5x0h.jpg.html

Do you know what kind of ant this is?Do you think it was another species of ant or another colony that these battled it out with?

#4 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted June 28 2015 - 10:17 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

That is weird indeed because that is a Camponotus species. Probably C.pennsylvanicus.

• Dave likes this

#5 Offline Dave - Posted June 28 2015 - 10:48 PM

Dave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Just noticed that one of the ants has another ant's head firmly attached to its own head. His feeding companions do not seem too pleased. I can only guess that when they see the decapitated head, they go on the offensive thinking it's an enemy ant, then it looks like the ant wearing the head explains "whoa dude, its me!" Things calm down until another feeding companion, that didn't get the decapitated head hat memo, spots the intruder's head and starts to freak out and get aggressive. This happens over and over and over again. Poor ant :(

Edited by Dave, June 28 2015 - 10:49 PM.

#6 Offline Herdo - Posted June 28 2015 - 11:35 PM

Herdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationGlendale, Arizona

Just noticed that one of the ants has another ant's head firmly attached to its own head. His feeding companions do not seem too pleased. I can only guess that when they see the decapitated head, they go on the offensive thinking it's an enemy ant, then it looks like the ant wearing the head explains "whoa dude, its me!" Things calm down until another feeding companion, that didn't get the decapitated head hat memo, spots the intruder's head and starts to freak out and get aggressive. This happens over and over and over again. Poor ant :(

Wow, that is very interesting.

• Dave likes this

#7 Offline Desnob - Posted June 29 2015 - 3:10 AM

Desnob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Beautiful ants right there! From what you described there was definitely some war going on since ants don't lose limbs through starvation or pesticides. It could've been a fight between the members of the same colony, although I've heard of that happening only in captivity.

• Dave likes this

[Current Colony - June 26, 2015] Tetramorium sp. e 200+ workers]

Need a safe sealant for a formicarium or outworld? Buy it on Amazon

#8 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 29 2015 - 7:58 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

:lol: That's pretty funny.

This is no doubt the results of a fight. Many times after a fight, there will be ants walking around with their enemy's head clamped on them somewhere.

I was surprised when I saw the pictures since you said they were small ants. This genus has some of the largest ants in North America. I guess you meant little as in the way any ant would be described by humans. If they are wood nesting Camponotus, they might not be as friendly as you think, at least not to your house. Camponotus are Carpenter ants, and they chew through wood.

#9 Offline Dave - Posted June 29 2015 - 8:37 AM

Dave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I referred to them as small because I have seen much larger ants in this area, but looking back I realize I should have said they range in size from approximately 1-2 cm. I have never thought these ants were friendly, as I often see them being a-holes to other insects and they sometimes give us attitude when we disturb them. Recently, I saw one attacking a lady bug, and I jumped to the rescue and pushed the ant away with a pen, then it attacked the pen and ran up it as if it was coming for me! lol. I have seen sawdust and figured it was due to mice, but I guess it was these guys all along.

Another odd thing I noticed - several of the ant carcasses on the floor had been wrapped up in spider silk, so it looks like the ceiling spiders had a good feast from this battle. I've never known this to happen in this house before, as the ants tend to stick to floors, counter-tops and the downstairs floor.

I managed to get a pic, this morning, of the ant with the head-hat. It looks like the other ant clamped onto its antenna and held on after the decapitation. The head looks like a different shape, so I assume it's a different species? http://s1045.photobu...yjxbes.jpg.html

Thank you all for educating me on this matter. I gotta say, it's been a really cool experience to be able to do a quick google search to find this group of very knowlegeable and friendly Ant People, and to even be able to talk to then in an ant chat room! You guys are awesome!

Edited by Dave, June 29 2015 - 8:48 AM.

#10 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 29 2015 - 9:10 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I think they're both Camponotus, but it could possibly be another species of Camponotus.

• Dave likes this

#11 Offline dermy - Posted June 29 2015 - 2:04 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I'm thinking this is either a Colony of Camponotus living somewhere near or even in your home, especially since they seem to be Camponotus pennsylvanicus, which are common Carpenter Ants that invade and even nest in homes. i think there could have been a foraging trail that got to close to the Colony or something and they fought them.

Or Two Colonies that got in each-others way.

Have you noticed any Winged ants in your home at all?

If not then you may just have some foraging ants getting into your home looking for food.

• Dave likes this

#12 Offline William. T - Posted June 29 2015 - 3:08 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

In China there are baits that change the odor of the foragers. When they get back to the colony they are killed, and the workers turn upon each other. It is sold as some " ant block." Perhaps your partner has scents in the kitchen that turned the workers upon each other.

• Dave likes this

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#13 Offline LC3 - Posted June 29 2015 - 3:15 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

In China there are baits that change the odor of the foragers. When they get back to the colony they are killed, and the workers turn upon each other. It is sold as some " ant block." Perhaps your partner has scents in the kitchen that turned the workers upon each other.

That's interesting.

#14 Offline Dave - Posted June 29 2015 - 6:27 PM

Dave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I haven't seen any winged ants. There are no fragrances of any kind in the house. All the products she uses are natural and fragrance free.

Edited by Dave, June 29 2015 - 6:28 PM.

#15 Offline BrittonLS - Posted June 29 2015 - 9:28 PM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas

I'm still laughing over 'little ant' followed by, 'well that's weird cause that looks like Coamponotus.' XP

• LC3 likes this

#16 Offline LC3 - Posted June 29 2015 - 10:20 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Same I was certainly confused when he said they had different castes since smaller formacine species usually aren't polymorphic.

Anyways to recap they are most likely the eastern black carpenter ant otherwise known as Camponotus pennyslyvanicus you might wanna check your house as these ants like infest structures.

As for the dead ants it's most likely a battle, maybe a colony from somewhere else in the house manage to attack the other nest that originally inhabited there or they were fighting over food in your kitchen. 

It's amazing how you've been with these ants for 14 years even though they are notorious for infesting structers. Most people would call the pest control in a matter of minutes. Glad you have such ties with nature though.

• Dave likes this

#17 Offline Dave - Posted June 29 2015 - 11:50 PM

Dave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I was certainly confused when he said they had different castes since smaller formacine species usually aren't polymorphic.

Pretty sure I didn't say that since I don't even know what that means ;)

My girlfriend is cool like that. She rescues and feeds any animal in need...earthworms, flies, spiders, chipmunks, squirrels, porcupines, raccoons, birds..etc. She even rescues mice from her zillion rescue cats, and I've seen her feed formula to orphaned baby mice that are small enough to fit on a nickle, with a tiny paintbrush. The most unbelievable rescue was two fruitflies that fell into some honey. She went through an amazing process in a matter of seconds that had them cleaned off and flying about again in maybe 5 minures. The house is over 100 years old, so it's already seen its fair share of critter damage, and the threat of carpenter ant damage isn't going to sway her.

Thanks again guys! Now I know what species of ant we have, and that there was a battle of some sort. We've examined some of the carcasses and they look to be the same species as the survivors. One other thing of note is that we've only seen missing appendages on the larger ants. We haven't seen any damage to the smaller ones.

Edited by Dave, June 29 2015 - 11:51 PM.

#18 Offline LC3 - Posted June 30 2015 - 9:06 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

I was certainly confused when he said they had different castes since smaller formacine species usually aren't polymorphic.

Pretty sure I didn't say that since I don't even know what that means ;)

Thanks again guys! Now I know what species of ant we have, and that there was a battle of some sort. We've examined some of the carcasses and they look to be the same species as the survivors. One other thing of note is that we've only seen missing appendages on the larger ants. We haven't seen any damage to the smaller ones.

1.You said they had different sizes. Sizes are usually linked with having a caste system. Polymorphic means they have multiple sizes. :P

2. You probably observed the larger ones with missing limbs either a) they were easier to see or b ) because the larger ones in most carpenter ants I've seen act like soldiers so it's possible they we're more involved in the fighting than the smaller ones. 

Edited by LC3, June 30 2015 - 9:17 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: missing legs, death

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users