• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ethical and ecological problems?

ecology ethical native species exotic invasive species

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Max_Connor - Posted August 7 2021 - 5:08 AM

Max_Connor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

I've heard some antkeepers talking on the internet about the consequences of keeping exotic species, the ones that are not native to your area.

That it's important to buy and catch only those ants that are native to where you live, and that keeping any exotic species (not even necessarily invasive) is not ethical for some environmental reasons which I don't understand...

What's so bad about keeping say southern species in the Northern Hemisphere?

If you let the alates escape your nest and let them fly and breed in your area (where there aren't any other alates of the same species), nothing happens.

Even if you have a polygynous species that can escape and successfully live outside, one winter will kill them all as soon as they're from South and do not hibernate.

Suppose they have parasites that are not native to your area too - those will be some worms and mites, but if you succeed in killing them or just don't let them out of the nest then nothing really threatens your environment again.

I just don't get the reasoning behind all this so-called bioethics...

What do you think of this whole argument? And do you keep any invasive ants? 

• TennesseeAnts, Antkeeper01, KadinB and 1 other like this

#2 Offline BrandonM - Posted August 7 2021 - 6:41 AM

BrandonM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationOntario, California
I wonder if the folks that introduced the species below into their new environments felt the same as you…

Cane Toad

Burmese Python

Northern Snakehead Fish

Asian Carp

European Starling

Mongoose

Feral swine

Domestic cats

Nutria (from S. America)

Gypsy Moth

Here’s a link to other benign species that have been introduced with minimal impact to just N. America.

https://en.m.wikiped...n_North_America

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • gcsnelling, TestSubjectOne and Tyr_Ants like this

#3 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 7 2021 - 7:22 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I think the concern is pretty overblown. Responsible keepers that know what they're doing aren't an issue. About the ethics, a few people do believe keeping any exotic is bad- invasive or not. I am not one of those. Again, if you are responsible and know what you're doing there's really no risk at all to the environment around you. Like you pointed out, most ants need alates of an unrelated colony to actually mate and found colonies. Unless there's already a colony established of said species around you, escaped alates also aren't an issue.

• Mdrogun, CheetoLord02, NickAnter and 2 others like this

#4 Offline zA-Z0-9 - Posted August 7 2021 - 7:38 AM

zA-Z0-9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Locationraymondville mo

i totally get why they do this because not everyones  responsible enough to keep thier pets in thier enclosures as proven with the burmese python but i personally keep exotic ants because i feel responsibe enough to take this responsibility

• Antkeeper01 likes this

I LOVE ANTS!!!!

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 7 2021 - 8:36 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

POPULAR

Here we go again…
  • nurbs, AntsMaryland, TennesseeAnts and 12 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 7 2021 - 10:43 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Here we go again…

Yep…

#7 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 7 2021 - 2:14 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Here we go again…

I know, it feels like every week a new one pops up..
  • yaboiseth, Antkeeper01 and zA-Z0-9 like this

#8 Offline Tyr_Ants - Posted August 7 2021 - 5:18 PM

Tyr_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCosta Mesa California
Quick solution, ban all ants 😎😎 problem solved lol

Edited by Tyr_Ants, August 7 2021 - 5:20 PM.

• zA-Z0-9 likes this

Ant Shop: (restocking soon) https://www.formicul...op/#entry195574  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  B)  B)  B)

#9 Offline Max_Connor - Posted August 7 2021 - 7:26 PM

Max_Connor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

I wonder if the folks that introduced the species below into their new environments felt the same as you…

Cane Toad

Burmese Python

Northern Snakehead Fish

Asian Carp

European Starling

Mongoose

Feral swine

Domestic cats

Nutria (from S. America)

Gypsy Moth

Here’s a link to other benign species that have been introduced with minimal impact to just N. America.

Well ok, I get that there are a lot of examples of invasive species that have been introduced by pet owners to different habitats.

But take the Burmese pythons - they have invaded Florida, where they have no natural predators (except humans) and where they eliminated lots of birds, foxes, rabbits etc.

But why should we be concerned about it so much? Unless the pythons start threatening humans - those are agricultural issues, for example - we shouldn't care, maybe?

Can a bunch of pythons make the whole ecosystem collapse? Will whole cities be impacted by elimination of rabbits and birds?

And how can some ants from Southeast Asia survive in northern states, for example?

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#10 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 7 2021 - 8:08 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Some of the burmese python issue isn't strictly the fault of keepers. MANY escaped when buildings that were holding many of them were destroyed from hurricanes. The only times species from Southeast Asia end up in Northern areas are in places like greenhouses, or indoors. They don't really survive in the wild. A minor exception to this is Brachyponera chinensis, which has been found wild all the way up in Massachusetts. They are quite cold hardy it would appear, however, they are a species with a vast range in Southeast Asia, and much of their distribution is above it.

• TennesseeAnts, Antkeeper01 and futurebird like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#11 Offline zA-Z0-9 - Posted August 7 2021 - 9:03 PM

zA-Z0-9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Cane Toad

Burmese Python

Northern Snakehead Fish

Asian Carp

European Starling

Mongoose

Feral swine

Domestic cats

Nutria (from S. America)

Gypsy Moth

Well ok, I get that there are a lot of examples of invasive species that have been introduced by pet owners to different habitats.

But take the Burmese pythons - they have invaded Florida, where they have no natural predators (except humans) and where they eliminated lots of birds, foxes, rabbits etc.

But why should we be concerned about it so much? Unless the pythons start threatening humans - those are agricultural issues, for example - we shouldn't care, maybe?

Can a bunch of pythons make the whole ecosystem collapse? Will whole cities be impacted by elimination of rabbits and birds?

And how can some ants from Southeast Asia survive in northern states, for example?

ok no offense man and I'm not tryna be mean or nothin but i was on your side at first but youre starting to sound a little crazy i mean lets not pretend the ecoystem isn't delicate dude like come on 

• Antkeeper01, OiledOlives and futurebird like this

I LOVE ANTS!!!!

#12 Offline zA-Z0-9 - Posted August 7 2021 - 9:06 PM

zA-Z0-9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Quick solution, ban all ants problem solved lol

that's not even funny my queen ant almost threw up her breakfast when she read this take it down or i will have it reported immediately lolol :lol:

Edited by zA-Z0-9, August 7 2021 - 9:06 PM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

I LOVE ANTS!!!!

#13 Offline Tyr_Ants - Posted August 7 2021 - 9:44 PM

Tyr_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCosta Mesa California

that's not even funny my queen ant almost threw up her breakfast when she read this take it down or i will have it reported immediately lolol :lol:
NOOOOOO please don't :( :( :( I beg u please don't report me
  • zA-Z0-9 likes this

Ant Shop: (restocking soon) https://www.formicul...op/#entry195574  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  B)  B)  B)

#14 Offline Max_Connor - Posted August 7 2021 - 10:07 PM

Max_Connor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

ok no offense man and I'm not tryna be mean or nothin but i was on your side at first but youre starting to sound a little crazy i mean lets not pretend the ecoystem isn't delicate dude like come on 

Has there ever been a case when the whole system was destroyed because of a couple of imported species? And have the people died out in that area? 

#15 Offline zA-Z0-9 - Posted August 7 2021 - 11:05 PM

zA-Z0-9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Has there ever been a case when the whole system was destroyed because of a couple of imported species? And have the people died out in that area? 

have you ever been to australia  invasive species result in crop failure they compete with your livestock etc. for example if i was a beekeper and you released your colony of army ants and a few other people had the same idea they would kill my bees leaving me and every other beekeper out of a job not to mention the native ants they would destroy i still keep exotic ants but I'm not gonna pretend its not wrong so i guess my answer is people don't die out because of an invasive species but life gets alot harder for everyone 

Edited by zA-Z0-9, August 7 2021 - 11:25 PM.

• TennesseeAnts and futurebird like this

I LOVE ANTS!!!!

#16 Offline zA-Z0-9 - Posted August 7 2021 - 11:07 PM

zA-Z0-9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

NOOOOOO please don't :( :( :( I beg u please don't report me

lol  :lol: don't tempt her she just might now out of her majestys sight  :mad2:its people like you that make her sick to her gaster

Edited by zA-Z0-9, August 7 2021 - 11:09 PM.

I LOVE ANTS!!!!

#17 Offline Max_Connor - Posted August 7 2021 - 11:46 PM

Max_Connor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

have you ever been to australia  invasive species result in crop failure they compete with your livestock etc. for example if i was a beekeper and you released your colony of army ants and a few other people had the same idea they would kill my bees leaving me and every other beekeper out of a job not to mention the native ants they would destroy i still keep exotic ants but I'm not gonna pretend its not wrong so i guess my answer is people don't die out because of an invasive species but life gets alot harder for everyone 

Hmmm.... Releasing army ants in Australia - sounds tempting :)

#18 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted August 8 2021 - 5:48 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

In that case, let's just burn everything that we don't absolutely need for no reason because humans are definitely the only thing that's important and we're the only ones with a right to live on this earth.

Edited by DDD101DDD, August 8 2021 - 5:49 AM.

• kounelus, TestSubjectOne, yaboiseth and 3 others like this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#19 Offline futurebird - Posted August 8 2021 - 6:32 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Beyond harming human food sources like crops don't you like having thousands of different kinds of ants to learn about from all over the world? Invasive species can drive more rare ants to extinction. There might even be ants that we have not even studied that we never get to know. I think that is tragic. 

I do think that ant laws in the US are a bit of a mess. But I hope you can understand that unique and beautiful creatures are worth protecting. If not because it's nice to care about living things then because they enrich our understanding of the world when we study them. 

It'd be horrible if every climate that was the same had the exact same species all over the world. 

I do think that it should be possible to keep exotic ants, from perhaps an approved list of those unlikely to spread. And after reading this thread I'm thinking we need to educate keepers more. Please don't release alates that aren't native. Come on dude. 

• gcsnelling, TennesseeAnts, Kaelwizard and 3 others like this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#20 Offline GreekAnts - Posted August 8 2021 - 6:35 AM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Probably troll topic...
you clearly want to start a debate and make people get upset, I can clear see it from your answers..

If you want to keep exotic ants just be really careful and make sure you are legal, because you will end up in trouble.
Have some common sense, be extra careful with them and don't be irresponsible letting them out or letting them escape,if they manage to get out you will be responsible for ruining the local or even national ecosystem...
Do not expect people to cheer you up for keeping exotic ants, by keeping them you will have to face the anxiety and fear of them ending up outside with all the results this might bring.
For me only people with special permit and skill should keep exotic ants, and if someone that has exotic ants is responsible for their escape and the damage that they caused, he/she must pay a big fine or even face jail time.

• TestSubjectOne, BrandonM and Tyr_Ants like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ecology, ethical, native species, exotic, invasive species

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users