• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ethical and ecological problems?

ecology ethical native species exotic invasive species

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 Offline OiledOlives - Posted August 11 2021 - 8:23 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

this thread is why I hate using this site

• Tyr_Ants and Max_Connor like this

#42 Offline Tyr_Ants - Posted August 11 2021 - 9:49 AM

Tyr_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCosta Mesa California

Time to let the troll die, let's quit feeding it.

I like how people call anybody who just has a different point of view a troll  :)
You admitted to trolling use your brain and your opinion is just horrible, and stoping environmental damage doesn't only benefit us but the insects and animals around us, your views are dangerous and ignorant.

Ant Shop: (restocking soon) https://www.formicul...op/#entry195574  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  B)  B)  B)

#43 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 11 2021 - 10:21 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Threads like these can be constructive, so long as they remain respectful and logical. That is what a debate is, this has sadly devolved into keyboard warriors duking it out. Next time a thread like this comes up, why not respond respectfully, and think of it as a philosophical discussion so that someone may learn from it, including the participants.
  • Max_Connor likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#44 Offline 11.11.00 - Posted August 11 2021 - 10:37 AM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

I just want to add that places like Japan, Southern China, Italy, and Spain have no ant importation laws whatsoever and an even larger hobby compared to places as well as climate like California and Texas yet they all share the same 4-5 invasive species none of which were introduced through the ant trade. 

I have no doubt that a blacklist would acheive the same results as the status quo, but there is also no reason for aphis to change their regulations other than ease of enforcement. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ecology, ethical, native species, exotic, invasive species

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users