• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

m99's: T. immigrans — P. imparis — A. picea

tetramorium journal immigrans prenolepis imparis picea aphaenogaster

42 replies to this topic

#41 Offline m99 - Posted September 24 2021 - 9:24 AM

m99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationCatskills, NY

Hooray the epic guilt of occasionally shining bright flashlights and lightly tapping their tube can finally end, they moved! And shockingly it wasn't even the easy move into the specially prepared second tube right next door—they caravaned across the entire setup and moved into the Por Amor  UndergroundCiti formicarium woooot.

Pics incoming

Edited by m99, October 2 2021 - 8:37 AM.

#42 Offline m99 - Posted September 24 2021 - 9:40 AM

m99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationCatskills, NY

They stuck it out in the torture chamber for most of a week. In fact they were very acclimated to even the direct overhead light by that point (though not close-up flashlight).

This was a couple days ago, about ten minutes after I'd triggered the last mini "GRAB A BEBE AND FLEEEE" cycle with some tapping. I expected them to be moving any time now, I'd rotated the tube multiple times, they haaad to be feeling disrupted enough right??? But seeing that these two girls had taken the "RUNAWAY" opportunity to dash out to the buffet and bring home a fruit fly, which they then acrobat tag teamed, made me realize it was time to get drastic.

20210919 184851
20210919 184846

And by drastic I mean I did the one thing I realize now I should've done from the very beginning (and probably the only thing that actually really mattered), which was taking the AC tube reducer off the end of their tube and connecting them directly to the portal. doh.

Sure enough, 24 hours later I came back from a visit to a friend's to an empty tube!  :yahoo:

20210923 091200
20210923 091206

After a tiny heart attack when I didn't see them in the second tube either, I looked over and spotted three girls waving fruit flies from the buffet pile over their heads and hauling them into the nest  :lol: so I knew all was well.

20210923 230547
20210923 230542
(the white stuff over the hydration section is sand, not eggs lol)

With so much time to look at them over the last few days, I'm pretty confident they've got 24 or 25 girls (as of last night) running around. And I, uh ... I can quite easily count at least 50 late instar larvae and pupae in those two pics above  :o

So looks like mama really is gonna call my bluff. Go lady go  :D  B)

I'm sad that I won't see much of her anymore, especially since they've very traumatized by light and vibration right now, so I'll finally let her have some privacy for a while. She's a good girl and a helluva layer, I hope I have her for a long time!

Last couple shots of them out in the open:

20210921 004505

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#43 Offline m99 - Posted September 30 2021 - 2:43 PM

m99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationCatskills, NY

Holy dimorphism batman!

Not really of course lol, but still, a few weeks ago I had suspected I was seeing my first wave of non-nanitic eclosures coming already, and I was correct!

Obviously the m99 buffet has the good stuff wutwut  B)

Blurry because I had to scramble for the exact moment when one of the oldest girls was in view next to one of the youngest, but still a marked contrast that's even more obvious in person:

20210930 183432
20210930 183431
20210930 183416

Meanwhile I've felt like the first picea eclosures are imminent for more than a week now, but every time I take a peek her pile has just gotten slightly bigger lol. But the two month mark isn't far off, so I guess she's just gonna go ahead and take the maximum amount of window I've ever seen referenced for A. picea first generations. Fingers crossed.

Edited by m99, September 30 2021 - 2:45 PM.

• AntBoi3030 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tetramorium, journal, immigrans, prenolepis, imparis, picea, aphaenogaster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users