• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tarrant County, Texas. 6/27/2015

Best Answer cpman , June 28 2015 - 8:17 PM

It is Trachymyrmex. Cyphomyrmex is a lot less than 5mm -- even queens. Mycetosoritis hartmanni is also too small and, although it exists in South Texas, doesn't reach as far north as Tarrant County.
Because of the location, my best guess as to species would be T. septentrionalis or T. turrifex (although the latter may or may not have been recorded from Tarrant County). The other species in this genus in Texas are too far west and south.

Because this genus uses the same fungus as Atta and Acromyrmex, if you could get a sample of leafcutter fungus, you may be able to get her to take care of it. This species mostly subsists on insect droppings as fungal substrate, so would likely be hard to care for in the long term. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BrittonLS - Posted June 27 2015 - 8:55 AM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas

1. Location of collection: Found in a clear dirt area in a neighborhood part surrounded by oak trees.
2. Date of collection: 6/22/15
3. Habitat of collection: Dug from founding chamber in the dirt right next to the sidewalk
4. Length (from head to gaster): 5mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Brown to tan color. No apparent patterns
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Lots of spines and very spiky and rough looking
7. Anything else distinctive: 
8. Nest description: Single hole with a semi circle of dirt a few inches from the entrance

Sorry, I had the worst time getting pictures of her, so I'm just including a whole bunch in the hope it helps figure her out. She was apparently extremely camera shy.

Multiple pictures: http://imgur.com/a/hJ8gC

ZehYw9W.jpg

#2 Offline LC3 - Posted June 27 2015 - 9:09 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Hmm weird ant. I don't think I ever seen it before.   It's most likely Cyphomyrmex a fungus growing species. I think it could either be C. wheeleri or 

C.minutus.

#3 Offline Ants4fun - Posted June 27 2015 - 9:55 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
She most likely dropped her fungus, if she already had an established home. They do it right after they finish digging.

#4 Offline BrittonLS - Posted June 27 2015 - 10:40 AM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Well that's super frustrating. Any suggestions for her? Can't believe I caught just two queens on Monday and one died and the other is unable to be raised XP

The worst part is she's already started laying a few eggs in the test tube... Why are you taunting me...

#5 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted June 27 2015 - 12:11 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

I think she might be a Trachymyrmex sp.

• LC3 likes this

#6 Offline BrittonLS - Posted June 27 2015 - 1:44 PM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Hrm, that also seems to be a good guess... I'm definitely going to need better pictures but I kinda think I shouldn't keep picking her up and putting my microscope on her test tube lol

Trachymyrmex sp. Might be more likely because she definitely has a spine that I don't see on the Cyphomyrmex sp.

Edited by BrittonLS, June 27 2015 - 1:48 PM.

#7 Offline LC3 - Posted June 27 2015 - 2:18 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

You should give us a detailed description.

There are a few other fungus ants but I doubt they are this species because these other ants live in the neotropics. 

I don't know Trachymyrmex and Cyphomyrmex well enough to identify this species

Fungus ants in the neotropics:

Mycetosoritis

Mycetarotes

Mycocepurus

Edited by LC3, June 27 2015 - 2:35 PM.

#8 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 27 2015 - 4:58 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Some better pictures would help.

#9 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted June 28 2015 - 12:40 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Cyphomyrmex have a different head shape than this queen. Trachymyrmex looks more likely to me.

#10 Offline BrittonLS - Posted June 28 2015 - 5:47 PM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Here are more subpar pictures of the ant, just follow the link. You can see the spine I mentioned better here, But I couldn't quite get a good head shot.

http://imgur.com/a/M7XBc

xOqrP13.jpg

#11 Offline LC3 - Posted June 28 2015 - 6:07 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Cyphomyrmex have a different head shape than this queen. Trachymyrmex looks more likely to me.

I agree with you because Cyphomyrmex has ridges along it's exoskeleton while Trachymyrmex has lots of spines and a prickly texture.

#12 Offline cpman - Posted June 28 2015 - 8:17 PM   Best Answer

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
It is Trachymyrmex. Cyphomyrmex is a lot less than 5mm -- even queens. Mycetosoritis hartmanni is also too small and, although it exists in South Texas, doesn't reach as far north as Tarrant County.
Because of the location, my best guess as to species would be T. septentrionalis or T. turrifex (although the latter may or may not have been recorded from Tarrant County). The other species in this genus in Texas are too far west and south.

Because this genus uses the same fungus as Atta and Acromyrmex, if you could get a sample of leafcutter fungus, you may be able to get her to take care of it. This species mostly subsists on insect droppings as fungal substrate, so would likely be hard to care for in the long term.
  • Jonathan21700, BrittonLS and LC3 like this

#13 Offline BrittonLS - Posted June 29 2015 - 6:06 AM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Awesome, cpman. Great analysis, thank you. Yeah, I remember seeing that's what they use, I guess that would be pretty hard to maintain. Perhaps I'll try to let her loose. Or should make her a specimen. But that is so cold lol.
  • cpman likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users