• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Live feeding, an unnecessary cruelty

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Offline 11.11.00 - Posted January 3 2022 - 5:37 PM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Trigger warning: Animal Cruelty, do not click the links if you do not want to see animal cruelty. However, I included them because the creator of these videos is a prominent figure in our hobby

Recently I saw the tiktok of a popular US based ant dealer who had videos of his ants live feeding a scorpion and attempting to live feed a tarantula (probably purchased from a pet store). I do think that this is wrong and unnecessary cruel but where should the hobby draw the line between providing protein for our pets and killing another life? 

Personally, I believe that feeders should be prekilled and only insects bred as feeders should be used as such. 

Edited by 11.11.00, January 3 2022 - 6:55 PM.

• Canadian anter, CheetoLord02, Antkeeper01 and 4 others like this

#2 Offline ReignofRage - Posted January 3 2022 - 6:02 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • LocationCalif.

This seems like a nice species journal.

• cocdeshijie, Antkeeper01, OiledOlives and 1 other like this

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted January 3 2022 - 6:03 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Attagarrett is already quite a controversial figure in the hobby, having been accused of scamming as well as potentially forging permits. It honestly doesn’t surprise me that he would do this.
  • CheetoLord02, Antkeeper01, m99 and 1 other like this

#4 Offline KadinB - Posted January 3 2022 - 6:20 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Great..... more drama...... :facepalm:

• cocdeshijie, Antkeeper01, OiledOlives and 1 other like this

#5 Offline Zeiss - Posted January 3 2022 - 6:32 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Oh no, feeding ant colonies living things they could come across in the wild, what a terrible thing.

I get the same stuff from some people when they figure out I feed my snake live mice.

Edited by Zeiss, January 3 2022 - 6:33 PM.

• YsTheAnt, cocdeshijie, KadinB and 2 others like this

#6 Offline 11.11.00 - Posted January 3 2022 - 6:37 PM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Oh no, feeding ant colonies living things they could come across in the wild, what a terrible thing.

I get the same stuff from some people when they figure out I feed my snake live mice.

is that a flex or something?

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#7 Offline Zeiss - Posted January 3 2022 - 6:46 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

is that a flex or something?

Yes.  Absolutely.

• YsTheAnt, cocdeshijie, Antkeeper01 and 2 others like this

#8 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 3 2022 - 7:02 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGympie, QLD, Australia

I know at least some snakes won't eat dead/thawed out mice so I understand that one. but with ants... it takes a long time for the feeder bugs to die, mice die way faster.

Edited by PaigeX, January 3 2022 - 7:03 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis 

Journal: Main

Instagram: australian_polyrhachis

May God Bless you.

#9 Offline eea - Posted January 3 2022 - 7:04 PM

eea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

there's also this video of this guy feeding his pet wasp to his ants

Edited by eea, January 3 2022 - 7:05 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

-camponotus sansabeanus: 20 wokrers

#10 Offline 11.11.00 - Posted January 3 2022 - 7:27 PM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

I know at least some snakes won't eat dead/thawed out mice so I understand that one. but with ants... it takes a long time for the feeder bugs to die, mice die way faster.

I understand feeding live mice to snakes such that they won't starve, but otherwise, it is pretty looked down upon in the reptile hobby. Not only because of a more painful death, but because of the dangers of a live struggling prey and it is far from natural as the mouse or tarantula/scorpion does not have a route to escape its respective predators which refutes the wild argument. 

Edited by 11.11.00, January 3 2022 - 7:36 PM.

• m99 and robbiesants like this

#11 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 3 2022 - 7:35 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’ve spoken against live feeding ants on this forum for years. It is unnecessary, borderline cruel, and a good way to get mites into your colony. Don’t do it.
  • CheetoLord02, Kaelwizard, 11.11.00 and 3 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#12 Offline 11.11.00 - Posted January 3 2022 - 7:39 PM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

I’ve spoken against live feeding ants on this forum for years. It is unnecessary, borderline cruel, and a good way to get mites into your colony. Don’t do it.

Yep, couldn't have been better said

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#13 Offline SleepyAsianAnter - Posted January 3 2022 - 7:40 PM

SleepyAsianAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles (SoCal)

Personally I feel like this is a non-issue, bugs are bugs. It's holds much less weight than live-feeding mice to snakes or feeding feeder-fish to turtles. In the end, do as you like, if you feel it's cruel, then don't do it.

It's up to you how you feed your ants. 

• Zeiss, YsTheAnt, cocdeshijie and 2 others like this

#14 Offline 11.11.00 - Posted January 3 2022 - 7:53 PM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Personally I feel like this is a non-issue, bugs are bugs. It's holds much less weight than live-feeding mice to snakes or feeding feeder-fish to turtles. In the end, do as you like, if you feel it's cruel, then don't do it.

Why would you think it holds less weight? Just curious. 

Especially given that like vertebrates, bugs can also feel pain

• Antkeeper01 and robbiesants like this

#15 Offline SleepyAsianAnter - Posted January 3 2022 - 8:27 PM

SleepyAsianAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles (SoCal)

For one, mice and fish are much more evolutionarily developed than the drosophila experimented on in the article you quoted, their nervous systems are far more complex. This of course means that the "pain" drosophila feel when "wounded" is likely extremely different from the sensation of pain that you and I would feel. The average fruit fly has 200,000 brain cells, the average human has 86 billion. 

Secondly, they are literally bugs, what you would classify as pain is likely nociception, the avoidance of harmful factors. This is a reflex, not a feeling.

Lastly, at the risk of sounding speciest, to me (I can't speak for everyone), I literally do not care if a fruit fly suffers for 20 seconds while being hunted, it happens billions of times per day all around the world. I eat meat, I acknowledge that in order to eat meat, an animal is executed (quite painfully) in a slaughterhouse somewhere.

• Zeiss, YsTheAnt, 11.11.00 and 2 others like this

#16 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted January 3 2022 - 8:34 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

In order to arbitrate the debate proposed in this thread, we have to first concretely define what it means to be aware in our infinitely complex universe. From a monist perspective, human sentience is the emergent property of the composite minute chemical interactions within our brains.

Bruno Latour proposed viewing the world as a network of infinite actors, all exerting influence on one another. His theory echoes Einstein’s model of a causal web connecting every object in the universe. If human consciousness is the result of our interactions, then what makes a fruit fly or a cockroach, or even a rock or a UV ray any less conscious than we are?  They are created by forces that, on a universal scale, are just as numerous as the ones that shape us. Panpsychism, the concept that consciousness is an inherent property of matter, has recently gained traction within scientific communities, and highlights the importance of how we should evaluate significance within the situation of live-feeding.

Because all matter is universally conscious, it doesn't make sense for us to take part in any disturbance of nature at all. We should never feed ants anything because we'd be disturbing the inherent consciousness of the universe. It's pretty clear that ANY FEEDING of any kind has great negative consequences and should be abolished within the ant-keeping community.

Edited by sirjordanncurtis, January 3 2022 - 8:35 PM.

• Zeiss, YsTheAnt, 11.11.00 and 2 others like this

#17 Offline 11.11.00 - Posted January 3 2022 - 8:41 PM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

For one, mice and fish are much more evolutionarily developed than the drosophila experimented on in the article you quoted, their nervous systems are far more complex. This of course means that the "pain" drosophila feel when "wounded" is likely extremely different from the sensation of pain that you and I would feel. The average fruit fly has 200,000 brain cells, the average human has 86 billion. 

Secondly, they are literally bugs, what you would classify as pain is likely nociception, the avoidance of harmful factors. This is a reflex, not a feeling.

Lastly, at the risk of sounding speciest, to me (I can't speak for everyone), I literally do not care if a fruit fly suffers for 20 seconds while being hunted, it happens billions of times per day all around the world. I eat meat, I acknowledge that in order to eat meat, an animal is executed (quite painfully) in a slaughterhouse somewhere.

Thanks you for your thoughts. I respect your opinion 100%, I just wanted to correct you about the second point. The study's significance was that the study proved that the pain the fruit flies felt was beyond nociception - the reflex of avoiding painful stimuli. The pain the fruit flies felt was long lasting which differs from reflex which is instantaneous.

Edited by 11.11.00, January 3 2022 - 8:44 PM.

• Antkeeper01 and PaigeX like this

#18 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted January 3 2022 - 9:04 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

In order to arbitrate the debate proposed in this thread, we have to first concretely define what it means to be aware in our infinitely complex universe. From a monist perspective, human sentience is the emergent property of the composite minute chemical interactions within our brains.

Bruno Latour proposed viewing the world as a network of infinite actors, all exerting influence on one another. His theory echoes Einstein’s model of a causal web connecting every object in the universe. If human consciousness is the result of our interactions, then what makes a fruit fly or a cockroach, or even a rock or a UV ray any less conscious than we are?  They are created by forces that, on a universal scale, are just as numerous as the ones that shape us. Panpsychism, the concept that consciousness is an inherent property of matter, has recently gained traction within scientific communities, and highlights the importance of how we should evaluate significance within the situation of live-feeding.

Because all matter is universally conscious, it doesn't make sense for us to take part in any disturbance of nature at all. We should never feed ants anything because we'd be disturbing the inherent consciousness of the universe. It's pretty clear that ANY FEEDING of any kind has great negative consequences and should be abolished within the ant-keeping community.

Would you consider human activities(ex: building cities, blowing up stuff) to be part of that natural setting? Why or why not? 

• OiledOlives likes this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#19 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted January 3 2022 - 10:14 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

I usually wouldn't feed live food to my ants, perhaps with something like Myrmecia I might, since they're very large, have a stinger, and generally kill their food quite quickly. I'd only really do that as a last resort if they get fussy though.

There are also some ant species that kind of 'dislike pre-killed food'. I'd probably give species like that smaller things like fruit flies.

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#20 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted January 3 2022 - 10:43 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

Would you consider human activities(ex: building cities, blowing up stuff) to be part of that natural setting? Why or why not? 

I was mostly being satirical. My point was that it doesn't make sense for us to be attempting to use the scientific conclusions like the ones mentioned above to form ethical arguments or call someone out for acting, in your own opinion, morally ambiguous. Sure, it still makes sense to be discussing the implications of science, but not in a manner where we're certain to never reach any actual agreement or change anyone's opinions.

• Zeiss, UtahAnts and NicholasP like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users