• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The Most Impossible To Keep Ants

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Online futurebird - Posted July 18 2021 - 8:12 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

I just watched a fun video about "the most impossible to keep reptiles" and it was really interesting addressing how some species just need too much space, or special food and even zoos struggle to keep them. 

So what would that list be like for ants? Let's consider "successfully keeping" a generally humane life for the colony where they can grow large enough to make female alates. 

I'll give a go at it, but I know some of you will have some neat contributions:

x2LJWme.png 
1. Army Ants. A foraging species that lives in a bivocac, terrible stings and bites, insane numbers, and they need so much food. There was a Chinese youTuber who had a queen of the Asian army ant, she was huge, but apparently died without founding ... which makes the whole thing more sad than exciting. I guess you could "keep" these by owning a jungle. But I don't think that counts. 

2. Pseudomyrmex ferruginea lives in the acacia tree and growing a whole tree for you ants sounds like a lot of work. I don't know if they can live without the tree, but that seems cruel to me. 

What would you put on this list?

• TennesseeAnts, Antkeeper01, AntBoi3030 and 1 other like this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 18 2021 - 8:30 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Besides the obvious army ants, i have a few:

1. Subfamily proceratiinae, which need super high humidity and only eat spider eggs, something most antkeepers cannot obtain in large quantities.

2. Melissotarsus, which only nest in live trees and exclusively tend scale insects.
  • CheetoLord02, Antkeeper01, Chickalo and 1 other like this

#3 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 18 2021 - 8:50 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I'm going to say Acropyga because similar to what Manitobant said about Melissotarsus, Acropyga ants tend to root aphids for honeydew as their main source of food. And Allomerus because they make traps on extremely spiky plants to catch prey.

• futurebird likes this

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#4 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 18 2021 - 8:53 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts

I'm going to say Acropyga because similar to what Manitobant said about Melissotarsus, Acropyga ants tend to root aphids for honeydew as their main source of food. And Allomerus because they make traps on extremely spiky plants to catch prey.

acropyga can be kept in a dirt setup with plants for their aphids I'm pretty sure. Also the allomerus and the pseudomyrmex OP mentioned would probably do fine outside of their plant, as other genera like azteca or philidris do well in artificial nests.

#5 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 18 2021 - 9:02 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I would have to add Atta cephalotes to this for the sole reason of having absolutely massive colonies, numbering in the millions. They are impossible to contain long term unless you have a full entomology lab where you can keep such a huge setup, and keep up with their insane demands for food. 

• futurebird likes this

#6 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 18 2021 - 9:12 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts

I would have to add Atta cephalotes to this for the sole reason of having absolutely massive colonies, numbering in the millions. They are impossible to contain long term unless you have a full entomology lab where you can keep such a huge setup, and keep up with their insane demands for food.

fungus growers are super easy to limit growth though. Cheeto has done it. Most captive colonies don’t get that big for this reason.
  • CheetoLord02, Somethinghmm, futurebird and 1 other like this

#7 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 18 2021 - 10:06 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

fungus growers are super easy to limit growth though. Cheeto has done it. Most captive colonies don’t get that big for this reason.

I mean its impossible to keep a mature colony. Not the stunted colonies that we keep.

• futurebird likes this

#8 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted July 18 2021 - 11:17 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Azteca should be on this list, at least the species that are associated with Cecropia trees. You'd basically have to keep a whole tree just to keep the ants with it. And Azteca colonies get massive; probably on-par with or larger than Liometopum.

• TennesseeAnts, Antkeeper01, futurebird and 1 other like this

#9 Online futurebird - Posted July 18 2021 - 1:07 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

acropyga can be kept in a dirt setup with plants for their aphids I'm pretty sure. Also the allomerus and the pseudomyrmex OP mentioned would probably do fine outside of their plant, as other genera like azteca or philidris do well in artificial nests.

Wow acropyga are now my new obsession. This video about them is so good. 

Acropyga, lives underground their whole lives and farms mealybugs to survive. That's interesting but lots of ants farm other insects for honeydew--

What makes this incredible is that when the queens of acropyga leave to mate and start new colonies they *select* a single mealybug to take with them to start their new colony.
This means ants invented a kind of unconscious selective breeding.

qvJYPwm.png
Think about the evolutionary pressures! The mealybugs are going to evolve to be the most "selectable" ... the queens will evolve better selection skills.
This has gone on so long neither the ants nor their herds can live on their own anymore.

But, to be an ant colony that never needs to risk going above ground for food... never revealing the location of your colony ... that's a huge advantage!
I wonder what other hidden ants remain still undiscovered?

John LaPolla shows in the video how this has been going on for TWENTY MILLION years!

6AgWguO.png

Edited by futurebird, July 18 2021 - 1:07 PM.

• mmcguffi, TennesseeAnts, Antkeeper01 and 5 others like this

#10 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 18 2021 - 4:08 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
Before anyone wrongly says it, I'm going to mention an ant that is commonly thought of as being impossible but actually isn’t: slave-makers, in particular the genus polyergus. These ants are considered “impossible” by some keepers because of their raiding requirements. They need lots of formica pupae to maintain and need to raid quite often. However, while these ants certainly aren’t for beginners, they are far from impossible to keep. I and many others have successfully done it, and i have heard of european keepers raising them to alates.
  • TennesseeAnts, Antkeeper01 and WSantkeeper like this

#11 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 18 2021 - 5:00 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I see, so it IS possible to keep them.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#12 Online futurebird - Posted July 18 2021 - 5:11 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Before anyone wrongly says it, I'm going to mention an ant that is commonly thought of as being impossible but actually isn’t: slave-makers, in particular the genus polyergus. These ants are considered “impossible” by some keepers because of their raiding requirements. They need lots of formica pupae to maintain and need to raid quite often. However, while these ants certainly aren’t for beginners, they are far from impossible to keep. I and many others have successfully done it, and i have heard of european keepers raising them to alates.

What about the ants that live with other ants, but without them noticing? Anyone know which ones I mean?

#13 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 18 2021 - 6:08 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,400 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Sounds like you mean the Solenopsis thief ants?
  • TennesseeAnts and Antkeeper01 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#14 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 18 2021 - 6:27 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts

What about the ants that live with other ants, but without them noticing? Anyone know which ones I mean?
formicoxenus?
  • Antkeeper01 and futurebird like this

#15 Online futurebird - Posted July 18 2021 - 6:30 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

formicoxenus?

That's the one! The "guest ant" I wonder if one can keep them as they live in nature... in one of your other colonies... 

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#16 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 18 2021 - 8:41 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
You could probably do it in some kind of naturalistic setup or a specialized formicarium with a separate nesting area for the parasite (they nest separately but forage in the nest of the host)

#17 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 20 2021 - 1:50 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Maybe unless you have a millipede farm, Plectroctena would be extremely hard (or even impossible) to keep.

• United-Ants likes this

#18 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted July 20 2021 - 5:05 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

Discothyrea testacea, as their food requirements are not really known.  I have tried spider eggs of various species which were not accepted.  I now believe they are feeding on either centipede or millipede eggs, at least from the food-eggs I have observed associated with the colonies I have found.  I have found Proceratium spp. not too difficult if one uses the common house spider as an egg source.   Neivamyrmex spp. are on my list, not so much with the issue of feeding them but parasitic mites. I currently have a colony that is in its second round of brood and have a nice batch of callows going.  I have switched to keeping them in a deep large container with much fresh sterile soil and this seems acceptable and no mites as far as I can tell.  I will switch them to a fresh container soon. The down side is I know they are there but not seen as the deep soil confirms their hypogeic life style.  Of course still having a food source is paramount so S. invicta as before. 

• TennesseeAnts, TestSubjectOne, WSantkeeper and 1 other like this

#19 Online futurebird - Posted July 20 2021 - 2:11 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

qxgjnL5.png

I know I'm a weirdo but I can't stop thinking about how awkward this must be for the mealy bug. 

• Kaelwizard, Antkeeper01, AntBoi3030 and 2 others like this

#20 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 20 2021 - 6:53 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Azteca should be on this list, at least the species that are associated with Cecropia trees. You'd basically have to keep a whole tree just to keep the ants with it. And Azteca colonies get massive; probably on-par with or larger than Liometopum.

For some reason I think Azteca alfari are really cool.
  • Antkeeper01 and United-Ants like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users