• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Other Hobbies?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 23 2021 - 10:03 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yeah, I wouldn’t have the willpower to “collect” any alcoholic beverage. Tasting them, and even fermenting my own is a different matter, though.
  • ConcordAntman and cap_backfire like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#42 Offline drawpositive - Posted July 23 2021 - 11:07 AM

drawpositive

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Other than keeping ants, I also write books (they're terrible), Lego building, coding, cubing, gaming, reading random books, watching random videos and keep other pets (mostly inverts).

I'm guessing you mean cubing as it refers to collectible card games?

Which games do you have cubes of?

#43 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 23 2021 - 11:23 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Other than keeping ants, I also write books (they're terrible), Lego building, coding, cubing, gaming, reading random books, watching random videos and keep other pets (mostly inverts).

I think I’ve heard it used as a verb for solving Rubik’s Cubes too.

#44 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 23 2021 - 12:51 PM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

I assumed it had something to do with cannabis.  

• DDD101DDD and gs5248 like this

#45 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 23 2021 - 7:07 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I think I’ve heard it used as a verb for solving Rubik’s Cubes too.

Yes, exactly.

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#46 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 23 2021 - 7:10 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I assumed it had something to do with cannabis.  

Definitely not.

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#47 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 23 2021 - 8:21 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

These all sound so great.   

I only collect whiskeys in my tum-tum.   Well, bourbons.   I'm a huge bourbon fan.   

I'm so stoked to see all these hobbies.   I'm going to add "general inverts" to mine as I have snails, millipedes, jumping spiders and um... Well, TONS of isopods.   Well, easily 12 pounds of isopods.   

These are awesome.  Thanks to all of you for posting.   

Species list for those pods?

• ConcordAntman and cap_backfire like this

#48 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted July 23 2021 - 8:24 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

spending too much time staring at dead bodies in jars

(y)

My YouTube channel :)

#49 Offline That_one_ant_guy - Posted July 25 2021 - 4:44 PM

That_one_ant_guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Ayyy finally met someone else who likes to cube
  • gs5248 and SYUTEO like this

#50 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 26 2021 - 7:04 PM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

These all sound so great.   

I only collect whiskeys in my tum-tum.   Well, bourbons.   I'm a huge bourbon fan.   

I'm so stoked to see all these hobbies.   I'm going to add "general inverts" to mine as I have snails, millipedes, jumping spiders and um... Well, TONS of isopods.   Well, easily 12 pounds of isopods.   

These are awesome.  Thanks to all of you for posting.   

Species list for those pods?

Species list... nothing TOO special... 

Armidullitium Vulgare:  Punta Cana, Magic Potion, Kluggi (Montenegro), Orange Vigor, T-Neg Ablino

Porcellio Hoffmanseggi

Armidillidium Gestroi

P. Scaber:  Orange Koi 
Dairy Cows 

Giant Canyons
Pretty much all the Pruinosis

Armidillidium Parracea

Armidillidium Frontirostre

Armidillo Officianalis

I know there's more... There's lots more.  I have like 32 species.   Most are pretty basic, some are morphs of things I've never seen... 

#51 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 26 2021 - 7:19 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I do a lot of freshwater fishing in my spare time, as well as anything else nature-related. I work on my YouTube channel whenever I can, and go to the gym a few times a week.

• ANTdrew and cap_backfire like this

#52 Offline gs5248 - Posted July 28 2021 - 6:53 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

I love to watch tv, lazily most of the day  :o

Modding Nerf guns

I like to watch like two anime's but I am not a weeb.

I like to archery from time to time

Terrarium making

Ecosphere making

And that is about it!

• cap_backfire and DaAnt like this

#53 Offline gs5248 - Posted July 28 2021 - 6:57 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

Ayyy finally met someone else who likes to cube

I also like to cube. My times are downright garbage though.

#54 Offline AlexLebedev - Posted July 28 2021 - 7:39 PM

AlexLebedev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, California

So obviously many of us have other hobbies... Here's mine:   

Building non-traditional enclosures for insects and fauna able to be kept in your home.   This has been a love/ hate project but I learn from each attempt.   JUST found out the extent of some issues with my most in-depth build and am a little disheartened but... not to the point of crying about it.  

Printing/ Painting/ Modifying miniatures for RPGs.   Or just things I'm interested in.   Or tabletop games.   

Collecting Funko Pops

Raising isopods and millipedes

Trying to get my green thumb

Collecting comic books (not so much anymore... It's just not as fun as it used to be) 

Lego.  Always and forever Lego.  

Drawing for family and friends-particularly my daughter who loves to see my draw her favorite cartoon characters so she can then cut them out like paper dolls.  

Working on my YouTube channel, which honestly I don't do enough just now.  

Also working on a puppet related, short comedy sketches streamed to Facebook.  Not sure how that will work so might just do it on YouTube.   

Anyway, that's mine!   What are yours?  

And before you ask... NO I don't have any time for myself.   Or all the time for myself?   SOME time for myself.   

I forgot to include naps.  

Model railroading and ice hockey.

What i am keeping Brachymyrmex patagonicus 1 worker x5 tetramorium immigrans 10 workers x2 lasius crypticus 5 workers Pheidole californica 6 queens150~ workers 10-30 majors, Formica argentea 10~ W

What I've kept crematogaster sp pheidole californica camponotus vicinus high elev, dumetorum,laevigatus, prenolepis imparis, pogonomyrmex californicus and subnitidus and californicus, veromessor andrei, camponotus sayi, hypoponera opacior ,Liometopum occidentale solnopsis molesta group, solenopsis xyloni.

#55 Offline AlexLebedev - Posted July 28 2021 - 7:43 PM

AlexLebedev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

I'm a hooper. I play for hours every single day and have a high chance of making Varsity as a sophomore 

I play icehockey i hope i can get far with it like ncaa or professional leagues i just turned 13 2 months ago and playing with highschool freshman

• cap_backfire likes this

What i am keeping Brachymyrmex patagonicus 1 worker x5 tetramorium immigrans 10 workers x2 lasius crypticus 5 workers Pheidole californica 6 queens150~ workers 10-30 majors, Formica argentea 10~ W

What I've kept crematogaster sp pheidole californica camponotus vicinus high elev, dumetorum,laevigatus, prenolepis imparis, pogonomyrmex californicus and subnitidus and californicus, veromessor andrei, camponotus sayi, hypoponera opacior ,Liometopum occidentale solnopsis molesta group, solenopsis xyloni.

#56 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 29 2021 - 2:41 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I'm a hooper. I play for hours every single day and have a high chance of making Varsity as a sophomore

I play icehockey i hope i can get far with it like ncaa or professional leagues i just turned 13 2 months ago and playing with highschool freshman
Do you follow the NHL?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#57 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 29 2021 - 3:13 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
I make YouTube vids when I'm free, draw, make cartoonish ant art on my computer, and play random games like among us, Roblox, pocket ants and stumble guys.

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk
  • cap_backfire likes this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#58 Offline Tyr_Ants - Posted July 29 2021 - 10:41 AM

Tyr_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCosta Mesa California
Gym and swim

Ant Shop: (restocking soon) https://www.formicul...op/#entry195574  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  B)  B)  B)

#59 Offline AlexLebedev - Posted July 29 2021 - 10:51 AM

AlexLebedev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Do you follow the NHL?

Yup  I play as a goalie so its hard making it on team i have a private coach and trainer he is also a family friend too.

#60 Offline drawpositive - Posted July 30 2021 - 3:45 AM

drawpositive

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationDelaware

1.) Gardening (trying pears and blackberries this year)

2.) Homebrewing wine

3.) Retro video games (slowly going through the SNES library for games I missed from my childhood; recently played Earthbound 9/10)

4.) Tabletop games (Magic the Gathering, Netrunner, Terraforming Mars, Root, etc.)  speaking of which, anyone ever hear of or play The March of the Ants? 

MarchoftheAnts
Album: My media uploads
1 images
0 comments

Edited by drawpositive, July 30 2021 - 3:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users