• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

New member and new hobbyist looking for help

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 Offline WSantkeeper - Posted July 21 2021 - 11:05 AM

WSantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationBellevue, Washington

A tube of silicone is $4 here. That would be your easiest way to go. The whole removable glass thing is dumb, in my opinion, because if you had any kind of thriving colony inside, there is no way you could remove glass without all holy hell breaking loose.

I know aquarium safe silicon is super cheap (4-5 euros) but I was thinking of a scenario that the formicarium get fungus growth or it gets super dirty, I know you can't just open the glass with ants inside, but what if the colony needs an upgrade anyway?
I would be able to just make them move and clean the nest and reuse it for a very long time (perhaps use it for multiple colonies in the future) but if I glue the glass I will not able to clean it unless I break the glass or damage the ytong,
so I would need to make another nest and this possible would go to waste, I know the ytong is cheap but it needed a lot of effort and I don't like to waste stuff.

If I glue the glass with silicon and I need to clean the nest in the future what options I have without removing the glass? (for example I mess up the watering and the nest gets fungus,then I force the ants to move (using light for example) and I have the nest empty and I need to clean it)

I know the nest isn't something special, I just want to make sure what is the best option so the next time I will make a better version of it.

Well, how I usually try to clean my nests is by using the tubing hole and splashing water down it. Not the best way, but it gets the job done.

• GreekAnts likes this

Queens I keep:

Camponotus sp.

Formica sp.

Unknown queen ant sp.

1 parasitic Formica queen!

#42 Offline GreekAnts - Posted July 21 2021 - 12:04 PM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Thanks for the answers!, I am thinking to put the ytong nest inside a aquarium that I will use as a outworld and I will make a safety barrier of baby powder/alcohol on top.

#43 Offline GreekAnts - Posted July 28 2021 - 12:45 PM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Hello again, Today I made a ytong nest inside a aquarium, so here are the results:

I made chambers on the front, on the left side and on the back (I was not able to photograph the back,but if you want I can do it tomorrow) 
Because the ytong was smaller than the aquarium in the length on the right, I didn't dug holes on it and I just put some soil to cover the empty space (maybe I will plant a small plant that doesnt grow big), I also throwed a little bit of sand on the bottom of the ytong and because the nest is big I covered the back and the left side with soil and closed 1 outdoor and 2 inside connections so the ants that will live there will dig it on their own when they feel like it. As you can see in the photos I watered the nest just to test it and it looks ok, I just throwed some water in the corners and some on top. On the top of the nest I used some soil to help with moisture and to make a decent outworld, The nest is not finished yet so if you have any suggestions or even if I did anything wrong pls tell me.

• Kaelwizard likes this

#44 Offline GreekAnts - Posted July 28 2021 - 12:47 PM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Also forgot to mention, will this nest be good for messor ants? and is baby powder and alchohol mix good and effective?

#45 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 28 2021 - 5:24 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Best thing to do would be to find a very thin, flexible piece of plastic to cut a rim to go around the top of the tank. Line the rim with fluon. Be aware that the ants will choose to nest in the soil instead of the ytong. That’s what I call Myrmy’s Law: that all things being equal, ants will always do what you don’t want or expect them to do.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#46 Offline GreekAnts - Posted July 29 2021 - 1:37 AM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Best thing to do would be to find a very thin, flexible piece of plastic to cut a rim to go around the top of the tank. Line the rim with fluon. Be aware that the ants will choose to nest in the soil instead of the ytong. That’s what I call Myrmy’s Law: that all things being equal, ants will always do what you don’t want or expect them to do.

I am thinking to glue some glass pieces around on the top so I will end up with what you say but with glass, not sure yet, I will think about the plexi too.
I don't mind the ants nest in the soil but I guess I can make the right of the nest less desirable for them somehow, but even if they nest there I don't mind at all.

#47 Offline GreekAnts - Posted August 3 2021 - 6:30 AM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Hello again I changed the look of the formicarium and I think now it looks better:

I went to a workshop and they cutted for me a plexiglass that I will use on the top, for extra barrier, but I need help to decide how to glue it, if I use a aquarium silicon will it glue with the glass?
Here a photo of the acrylic (I havent removed the sticker yet and I just placed it on top)

#48 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 3 2021 - 8:24 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Aquarium silicone would be perfect. Any 100% silicone will be cheaper and is the same thing.
  • GreekAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#49 Offline GreekAnts - Posted August 3 2021 - 8:37 AM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Aquarium silicone would be perfect. Any 100% silicone will be cheaper and is the same thing.

Thank you so much for the answer!  I will try it and post the results here.

#50 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted August 3 2021 - 3:34 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

GreekAnts, that looks great!

• GreekAnts likes this

#51 Offline GreekAnts - Posted August 4 2021 - 7:13 AM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

I found a 100% aquarium silicon yesterday and I glued it, here the results: 

I know it looks dirty, I will clean it later with alcohol, I think it turned out ok, thanks for the help!

• Kaelwizard, TestSubjectOne and mantisgal like this

#52 Offline GreekAnts - Posted August 4 2021 - 7:14 AM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Btw I wanted to ask, is there a list with all ant species that can chew through ytong,plaster etc? or anyone know species that are safe to keep in ytong?

#53 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 6 2021 - 9:29 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Btw I wanted to ask, is there a list with all ant species that can chew through ytong,plaster etc? or anyone know species that are safe to keep in ytong?

Many genera probably could given enough time. Tetramorium, Camponotus, Messor and Crematogaster most likely can, so I'm guessing Greek species can as well. They probably would only start chewing it if they don't have enough space.

• GreekAnts likes this

#54 Offline GreekAnts - Posted August 6 2021 - 9:34 AM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Many genera probably could given enough time. Tetramorium, Camponotus, Messor and Crematogaster most likely can, so I'm guessing Greek species can as well. They probably would only start chewing it if they don't have enough space.

So I guess the only option is either keep the nest inside a aquarium/any container or keep track of them and hopefully spot them when they start chewing around.

• Kaelwizard likes this

#55 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 6 2021 - 9:36 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

So I guess the only option is either keep the nest inside a aquarium/any container or keep track of them and hopefully spot them when they start chewing around.

Basically just make sure that the ytong is surrounded by something they can't chew out of.

• GreekAnts likes this

#56 Offline smares - Posted August 6 2021 - 9:45 PM

smares

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLakewood, Colorado
Greekants nice nest! It looks great, can't wait to see some ants in there!
  • GreekAnts likes this

#57 Offline GreekAnts - Posted August 7 2021 - 12:22 AM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Me too, but sadly this may take a while because the nest is kinda big and I don't have any colonies yet so I have to wait until I buy a ready messor colony and wait for them to grow in numbers before I put them there.

#58 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 7 2021 - 2:37 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Me too, but sadly this may take a while because the nest is kinda big and I don't have any colonies yet so I have to wait until I buy a ready messor colony and wait for them to grow in numbers before I put them there.
Patience is needed in all aspects of ant-keeping.
  • ConcordAntman and GreekAnts like this

#59 Offline GreekAnts - Posted August 15 2021 - 12:18 AM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Hello again, I was on vacation and before 3-4 days it rained here where I live but I was away, is it still possible to find a queen if I search? or should I wait for another rain?

#60 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 15 2021 - 2:37 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Hello again, I was on vacation and before 3-4 days it rained here where I live but I was away, is it still possible to find a queen if I search? or should I wait for another rain?

You have nothing to lose by searching. Many species fly a few days after rain.
  • GreekAnts likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users