• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hello from Phoenix Arizona

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Herdo - Posted June 23 2015 - 11:26 PM

Herdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationGlendale, Arizona

Hello everyone.  I'm Herdo from the Greater Phoenix area and I am pretty much brand new to the hobby.  I've been interested in ants my whole life, but started to look into it about a year ago.  I got disinterested because I was under the impression finding a queen would be an extremely difficult task.  A few days ago I kept finding dead queens floating in my pool.  I mistook them for baby yellow-jackets because I had recently found a yellow-jacket nest in my yard.  After thinking about it for a while I realized the color, size, and overall shape was entirely wrong and they couldn't be yellow-jackets.  I then remembered what I had learned previously about winged ants and realized I had some queens on my hands.  At that point I realized they weren't as rare as I had previously thought so since then I've been reading and watching as much about ants as I can.

I ordered some test tubes and some featherweight forceps from Amazon which have already arrived (hooray for free one day shipping!)  I'm going to start looking for some queens probably tomorrow morning.  The ant queens I keep finding lots of are in the genus Pheidole and I've also found a couple smaller black queens and winged males of an unknown genus/species.

I'm very excited and I can't wait to get started. 

• Jonathan21700 likes this

#2 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted June 23 2015 - 11:38 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Well you have one thing on your side: location. Arizona is the best possible place for keeping ants... All the amazing species there... Welcome!

#3 Offline Herdo - Posted June 24 2015 - 12:06 AM

Herdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Thanks Gregory2455.  Yea, I've been learning that about Arizona as well.  I watched "Empire of the Desert Ant" which was very fascinating and took place here in Arizona featuring the honey pot ants.

#4 Offline Alza - Posted June 24 2015 - 12:34 AM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

Welcome lad, I'm alza c:

#5 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted June 24 2015 - 1:09 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Thanks Gregory2455.  Yea, I've been learning that about Arizona as well.  I watched "Empire of the Desert Ant" which was very fascinating and took place here in Arizona featuring the honey pot ants.

You should look through this page showing specimens of the ants of Arizona, genus by genus. https://www.antweb.o...nts&images=true

#6 Offline Herdo - Posted June 24 2015 - 1:37 AM

Herdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Thank you Alza!

And wow Gregory2455, thank you for the link.  There is a ton of variety in this state.

• Gregory2455 likes this

#7 Offline LC3 - Posted June 24 2015 - 6:44 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Oi H'llo and welcome to the forum.

#8 Offline Ants4fun - Posted June 24 2015 - 7:11 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Welcome! I heard that some took the 'ants of the southwest' course, which I believe is in Arizona.

#9 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 24 2015 - 8:11 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Welcome. Arizona is the ant keeper's place to be.

• Gregory2455 and cpman like this

#10 Offline Foogoo - Posted June 24 2015 - 8:15 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Welcome! I was just reading about Cephalotes, it would be awesome if you're able to find any around where you are!

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#11 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted June 24 2015 - 9:06 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Welcome Herdo! :)

#12 Offline Herdo - Posted June 24 2015 - 12:37 PM

Herdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Thanks for the welcomes everyone!

Welcome! I heard that some took the 'ants of the southwest' course, which I believe is in Arizona.

Ah yes, I kept running across that course while trying to find native species here in Arizona.  It looks like a lot of fun, but unfortunately I think it's cancelled this year.

Welcome! I was just reading about Cephalotes, it would be awesome if you're able to find any around where you are!

Those things are so cool!  I've heard of them before, but I believe they are only found in southern Arizona around Tucson which is a couple hours south of Phoenix.

Welcome Herdo! :)

Hey Jonathan21700, thanks for referring me to this forum.  :D

• Jonathan21700 likes this

#13 Offline William. T - Posted June 24 2015 - 1:04 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

Hey there! :)

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#14 Offline Trailandstreet - Posted June 24 2015 - 1:37 PM

Trailandstreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Welcome.

I like Phoenix, it was one of the first cities I saw, on my last trip through the "wild west" in 1995.

:hi: Franz

if you find any mistakes, it's my autocorrection. it doesn't speak english.

#15 Offline Herdo - Posted June 25 2015 - 6:42 AM

Herdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Hey William T.

Welcome.

I like Phoenix, it was one of the first cities I saw, on my last trip through the "wild west" in 1995.

I hope you made it to Tombstone if you were visiting the "wild west".  Another great old western town is Bisbee.  It's in the far southeast corner of Arizona and i's one of my favorite "get out of town for the weekend" places.

• Trailandstreet likes this

#16 Offline cpman - Posted June 25 2015 - 10:20 AM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Hi there from Texas!

You've got some great ants there.

• Herdo likes this

#17 Offline Trailandstreet - Posted June 25 2015 - 10:13 PM

Trailandstreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Hey William T.

Welcome.

I hope you made it to Tombstone if you were visiting the "wild west".  Another great old western town is Bisbee.  It's in the far southeast corner of Arizona and i's one of my favorite "get out of town for the weekend" places.

Yep. We visited a few other towns and also a ghost town in Arizona.

• Herdo likes this

:hi: Franz

if you find any mistakes, it's my autocorrection. it doesn't speak english.

#18 Offline Crystals - Posted June 26 2015 - 11:35 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Welcome!

Yes, it often comes a surprise at how common ant queens can be at certain times of the year.  Some species only fly for a day or two, while others occasionally send a few queens all summer.  The pools are great queen catchers, try (carefully!) hanging a blacklight bulb over the pool overnight to catch a number of nocturnal fliers.

• Herdo likes this

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#19 Offline Herdo - Posted June 28 2015 - 12:29 PM

Herdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Hi there from Texas!

You've got some great ants there.

Hey cpman.  That's what everyone is telling me. :D

Welcome!

Yes, it often comes a surprise at how common ant queens can be at certain times of the year.  Some species only fly for a day or two, while others occasionally send a few queens all summer.  The pools are great queen catchers, try (carefully!) hanging a blacklight bulb over the pool overnight to catch a number of nocturnal fliers.

Thanks Crystals.  That sounds like a great idea.  I've got three queens now so I'm going to hold off on trying to catch more until I get my first stable colony going.  I've seen some of the formicariums you've created and they look great!

• cpman likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users