• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

C. fragilis growth rate?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Queen - Posted July 13 2021 - 12:45 PM

Queen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSan Gabriel Valley

Does C. fragilis normally have a very fast growth rate based on your experience?

I received my colony on 5/23 with 5 workers, 1 pupae, a few small larvae, no eggs.

Today 7/23, just shy of 2 months, the colony has 30+ workers with 1 huge major (almost the size of a queen), 20+ pupae, 10+ larvae, 10+ eggs.

Just wondering if this is their normal growth rate or did I do something extra to promote growth?

Thanks.

#2 Offline ReignofRage - Posted July 13 2021 - 12:52 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • LocationCalif.

We would need to know what temperature you are keeping them at and also how often they had/have access to sugars and protein.

#3 Offline Queen - Posted July 13 2021 - 1:11 PM

Queen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

We would need to know what temperature you are keeping them at and also how often they had/have access to sugars and protein.

Temp not measured, but there is a heating cable next to it to keep a gradient.

Sugar readily available through liquid feeder. They have either humming bird mix or byformica sunburst (whichever one is easier for me to prep during that time)

Protein every other day or whenever they finish their meal (whichever is later). Finished is defined as I see no ants eating and only exoskeletons or inedible remnants inside or outside of the nest. Protein includes fruit flies, red runners, crickets.

#4 Offline TestSubjectOne - Posted July 13 2021 - 1:25 PM

TestSubjectOne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

That's normal growth for the species under good conditions. Mine (C. absqualator) are at 70 workers with 4 majors from 6 workers after 250 days, but I've fed them less regularly than you. Colonies will adjust their growth to match the amount of food they get, and thermophilic species slow when they aren't heated.

TestSubjectOne's Experiences in Antkeeping General Journal

Currently Keeping:

- Veromessor pergandei (1 queen, 600 workers)

- Novomessor cockerelli (1 queen, 200 workers)

- Myrmecocystus mexicanus (1 queen, 100 workers)

- Brachymyrmex patagonicus (3 queens?, 2,000 workers? & alates)

- Crematogaster sp. (1 queen, 600 workers)

- Liometopum occidentale (1 queen, 800 workers)

- Camponotus absqualator (1 queen, 130 workers)

#5 Offline Queen - Posted July 13 2021 - 1:31 PM

Queen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

That's normal growth for the species under good conditions. Mine (C. absqualator) are at 70 workers with 4 majors from 6 workers after 250 days, but I've fed them less regularly than you. Colonies will adjust their growth to match the amount of food they get, and thermophilic species slow when they aren't heated.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users