• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What is your ant's favorite food? "whatever is new"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline futurebird - Posted July 11 2021 - 7:04 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Is it just my imagination or do many kinds of ants get *more* excited about a new kind of insect than one they have had before? I find I'm always trying new foods since they have the biggest reaction to whatever they have not tried before. Is this just how they get nutrition? 

Also Pogonomyrmex are supposed to be "seed eating ants" but as far as I can tell they are the least picky. Though that might be because I feed them about 3/4ths seeds and 1/4 various insects and sweets. They go nuts for any insect and are the only ants who eat it ALL. Even the exoskeleton. It's almost alarming. 

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#2 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 11 2021 - 7:16 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Ants seem to like new and different foods more because naturally they try not to completely exhaust a specific food source. Some people even have their colonies stop eating certain foods if there isn’t enough variety.

Edited by Kaelwizard, July 11 2021 - 7:17 AM.

#3 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted July 11 2021 - 7:31 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

My Camponotus always try to attack new foods.

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#4 Offline TestSubjectOne - Posted July 11 2021 - 7:54 AM

TestSubjectOne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

In terms of insects, I have only fed my colonies crickets for the past few months and I've noticed that they aren't having as strong of a feeding response as they had before, though their brood still grows normally. I have 100 dubia roaches coming in the mail for variety, and possibly to start a breeding colony so I can give my ants constant variety. I agree with your assessment of harvester ants. While my Veromessor pergandei would deny insects as a founding colony, I recently tried again and they seem more than happy to make whole crickets disappear overnight.

TestSubjectOne's Experiences in Antkeeping General Journal

Currently Keeping:

- Veromessor pergandei (1 queen, 600 workers)

- Novomessor cockerelli (1 queen, 200 workers)

- Myrmecocystus mexicanus (1 queen, 100 workers)

- Brachymyrmex patagonicus (3 queens?, 2,000 workers? & alates)

- Crematogaster sp. (1 queen, 600 workers)

- Liometopum occidentale (1 queen, 800 workers)

- Camponotus absqualator (1 queen, 130 workers)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users