• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pheidole Queen ID Request (Austin, TX 6/23/2015)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline cpman - Posted June 23 2015 - 2:13 PM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

So, I found a dealated Pheidole queen in my pool today.

She is 7 mm long. She has really big jaws for her size. Her gaster is much darker than her mesosoma and head. Her postpetiole is much wider than her petiole is. Her antennal scapes are curved near the base, so I'd guess she is in the P. fallax species group.

My best guess at the moment is P. texana or P. hyatti because of how wide the postpetiole is, but the former species is not supposed to be common, so I doubt it. The latter is quite common around here.

Here are pictures:

0996944D-0CF0-48E4-BC8E-78848488B63E_zps

F213DBF4-DC5F-4D83-A9CF-90EA1016BDC6_zps

D058C7A9-A6FA-43B5-9C1D-2BC0A9B30E71_zps

I know it is unlikely for me to get an ID until I get workers, but hopefully someone will be able to ID it from a queen.

Edited by cpman, June 23 2015 - 9:18 PM.

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 23 2015 - 7:52 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Pheidole is one of those genera that I never plan on getting ID'd.

#3 Offline LC3 - Posted June 23 2015 - 9:37 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Why?

#4 Offline cpman - Posted June 23 2015 - 9:44 PM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Why?

It is the largest genus of ants in the world, and it is extremely difficult to identify. Many of the species (even in areas with very well studied ant fauna) are very poorly characterized. Many species are difficult to identify from a full set of castes. The reproductives of lots of species aren't well characterized either. There are lots of species that seem to be a large complex of related species and other species that should be made into a single species.

Usually, you need both minor and major workers to even have a shot at identifying them. Hopefully, I'll be able to ID this species once she gets both majors and minors...

Edited by cpman, June 23 2015 - 9:45 PM.

#5 Offline LC3 - Posted June 23 2015 - 10:28 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Interesting. Pheidole are on of my favourite species sadly I only had one encounter with them my whole life which was in Shanghai, China.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users