• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

camponotus discolor/decipiens/caryae

camponotus caryae

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline futurebird - Posted June 29 2021 - 4:10 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

screenshot_4022.png

I got this colony from tar heel ants, and he knows his stuff, so I'm 98 percent certain they are camponotus discolor as advertised... and yet. I see photos online that confuse me all the time!

So, I looked up the description. 

screenshot_3999.png

Wow, I thought it would mention decipiens as the ant discolor is often confused with, but here is a new ant... camponotus caryae. In any case it seems that I need to look at the little face hairs of the ant. 

caryae has hairs all over the face except the forhead.

decipiens has hair on the mandibles and above them on the upper lip (on the 'clypeus') The descriptions says "one or two pairs of hair on the posterior margin of the clypeus"

discolor has basically a beard, hairs the same as decipiens... but more and also on the cheeks. 

screenshot_4002.png

screenshot_4020.png

It's really hard to see their face hairs! It's hard to get a photograph... but looking at them with my magnifying glass I just don't see the "cheek hairs" They have hairs on the top of their head, on their mandibles, on the clypeus (but IDK if it's exactly "one or two pairs") and that is all.

If one of them dies and I can find the body I'll update this post with some microscopy. 

Can someone help me?

Edited by futurebird, June 29 2021 - 7:22 AM.

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 29 2021 - 7:33 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I think this is C. discolordecipiens. The lack of hairs seems quite apparent.

:facepalm: I read the numbers wrong... I thought the species corresponded to the number to the left of it, I can't read apparently.

Edited by NickAnter, June 29 2021 - 4:55 PM.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline futurebird - Posted June 29 2021 - 8:19 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

But discolor has more hair?

#4 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 29 2021 - 12:11 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Yeah, this is decipiens as evidenced by the bare malar region of the head. You can bet most decipiens/discolor that are found and kept by ant hobbyists are actually C. decipiens, as that species is far more common than discolor in most places. I'm not sure why so many people insist on calling everything discolor when it's actually fairly easy to verify the identity of each species, but I've theorized it's because the name might sound cuter and more appealing than decipiens. I've seen another person's "discolor" from Tar Heel Ants and they looked like decipiens as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's only decipiens being sold.. especially due to the relative rarity of discolor. If THA's permit is specifically for discolor this might be technically illegal but hey, that's their problem for not verifying something that's able to be seen easily with a cheap cellphone macro lens!

• TennesseeAnts, Somethinghmm, Fatatoille and 1 other like this

#5 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 29 2021 - 1:33 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Yeah, one hundred percent C. decipiens.

Edited by TennesseeAnts, August 19 2021 - 10:54 AM.

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 29 2021 - 2:06 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,421 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Plot twist!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 29 2021 - 4:55 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Eye power low apparently.... didn't check to see which number properly corresponded to the species...

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#8 Offline futurebird - Posted August 11 2021 - 10:25 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

I almost deleted this post but I have some happy news. I got a better camera recently and I can see the hairs... all of the hairs much more clearly. On the queen it's pretty definitive. It's DISCOLOR as advertised. 

Ant identification is difficult. And even if they were decepins I wouldn't have been angry I just wanted to dispel any lingering suspicions and show that, yes, I was able to verify the species myself independently. This whole nonsense started because I lacked the tools and knowledge to do that properly. 

So what did we learn? Ant face hairs are hard to see!

Also... no one really knows if some of these species might not interbreed. So the rather sparse hairs on young majors isn't that big of a deal. Here is my lovely bearded lady.

hku7tKB.jpg

Thank you all for being patient with my amature etymology efforts.

All of the queens I've gotten from Tar Heel (I've bought 4) have absolutely thrived.  No one is as careful in their packing and shipping, and I've never felt like I was sent something less than what was expected. Definity one of our better vendors for all us folks out east. Worth what some perceive as a (modest) price premium. And now I can add: even difficult to identify species with many similar cousins are correctly identified. 

• smares and m99 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus caryae

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users