• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Idontexist's solenopsis journal

• Please log in to reply
354 replies to this topic

#221 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 19 2022 - 3:43 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,440 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Honestly, I think this guy deserves more credit than he gets. He's actually trying and he's finally succeeding. This is a great example of perseverance since no matter what people say or how difficult this is he still keeps trying. I feel like for sure at least one person will disagree with me, but this is my opinion about this.

I get that, I do, but then look at his treatment of other members of the forum. He has broken multiple rules at this point.
Rules? Which ones? I have not read every single comment he has posted but I have not seen any broken rules.
He has spammed threads and insulted members. I don’t remember all of the exact threads, but I know for a fact he has. In the People Rating thread he just posted “fardhead.” I’m not even sure what that is supposed to mean.
me neither they are 1% antkeeper, 10% double poster, 40% necroposter, and 49% troll
Your math teacher would be proud!
  • Antkeeper01 and FloridaAnts like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#222 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted February 19 2022 - 7:59 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

I get that, I do, but then look at his treatment of other members of the forum. He has broken multiple rules at this point.
Rules? Which ones? I have not read every single comment he has posted but I have not seen any broken rules.
He has spammed threads and insulted members. I don’t remember all of the exact threads, but I know for a fact he has. In the People Rating thread he just posted “fardhead.” I’m not even sure what that is supposed to mean.
me neither they are 1% antkeeper, 10% double poster, 40% necroposter, and 49% troll
Your math teacher would be proud!

damnit I was tired so I did the math wrong

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#223 Offline Idontexist - Posted February 22 2022 - 8:21 AM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Guys I'm back not much has changed. But i forgot i i told you but i have a new trapjaws ant queen. The old one is still in the tube with a larva. Ectatomma ate her baby
  • OiledOlives likes this

#224 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted February 23 2022 - 6:15 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Guys I'm back not much has changed. But i forgot i i told you but i have a new trapjaws ant queen. The old one is still in the tube with a larva. Ectatomma ate her baby

*shocked*

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

#225 Offline Idontexist - Posted February 24 2022 - 7:20 AM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
The new trapjaws queen died. Old one is still going. Btw i broke my ipad. So don't ban me from the discord
The new trapjaws queen died. Old one is still going. Btw i broke my ipad. So don't ban me from the discord
  • OiledOlives likes this

#226 Offline NicholasP - Posted February 24 2022 - 9:09 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Unfortunately, that's the problem with Odontomachus queens. They for no reason sometimes and Odontomachus are fairly sensitive.

#227 Offline antsriondel - Posted February 24 2022 - 9:32 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

please do some research on how to keep ants. :ugone2far:

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#228 Offline OiledOlives - Posted February 24 2022 - 9:59 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I believe in you, Idontexist

• Antkeeper01, azzaaazzzz00 and NancyZamora4991 like this

#229 Offline NancyZamora4991 - Posted February 24 2022 - 10:03 AM

NancyZamora4991

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, California

Me too, keep trying!

• azzaaazzzz00 likes this

#230 Offline bmb1bee - Posted February 24 2022 - 12:01 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Try not to disturb them too much, please check out other threads or websites to research on the species you're keeping to better suit their needs. Wish you luck on your cool semi-claustral species...

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#231 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted February 24 2022 - 2:09 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Heres a usefull guide that might help if you haven't already read it:https://www.formicul....php/topic/220-

Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#232 Offline NicholasP - Posted February 24 2022 - 11:06 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

So, here's the thing... First, I will say that I will leave a link at the bottom of my comment to CheetoLord02's Odontomachus journal to back up what I will say here. I would love to go on my rant of how this is so unfair to say because Odonotmachus are horrible since they love to move sand out of their nest and etc. and the brood would die. But I won't go on that rant... Instead, I'll just say that from what I've read on your journal you have never kept Odontomachus so you wouldn't know how they are to keep. I do have to agree though that Idontexist should do more research, but the chances are small that it was his fault because from what I saw him doing it seemed like he was doing everything correct (Except for the kid getting stung). It's also common for Odontomachus to never want to get workers during founding or not be mated. I don't want to start a war or anything. I just want to put the facts out there. Odontomachus aren't easy ants to keep even the best ant keepers struggle with them at times.

CheetoLord02's Odontomachus Journal: Cheeto's Terrific Trapjaws (Odontomachus clarus) (Updated 8/4) - Page 2 - Ant Keeping Journals - Ants & Myrmecology Forum (formiculture.com)

Edited by NicholasP, February 24 2022 - 11:11 PM.

• OiledOlives likes this

#233 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted February 25 2022 - 5:56 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

So, here's the thing... First, I will say that I will leave a link at the bottom of my comment to CheetoLord02's Odontomachus journal to back up what I will say here. I would love to go on my rant of how this is so unfair to say because Odonotmachus are horrible since they love to move sand out of their nest and etc. and the brood would die. But I won't go on that rant... Instead, I'll just say that from what I've read on your journal you have never kept Odontomachus so you wouldn't know how they are to keep. I do have to agree though that Idontexist should do more research, but the chances are small that it was his fault because from what I saw him doing it seemed like he was doing everything correct (Except for the kid getting stung). It's also common for Odontomachus to never want to get workers during founding or not be mated. I don't want to start a war or anything. I just want to put the facts out there. Odontomachus aren't easy ants to keep even the best ant keepers struggle with them at times.

CheetoLord02's Odontomachus Journal: Cheeto's Terrific Trapjaws (Odontomachus clarus) (Updated 8/4) - Page 2 - Ant Keeping Journals - Ants & Myrmecology Forum (formiculture.com)

I said how they should do more research before keeping hard species like these or maybe release them and at least antsriondel has successfully founded ants several times unlike Idontexist. And afaik Antsriondel didn't say they weren't hard ants to keep they just said do some research on keeping ants. Also remember that time they caught a Pseudomyrmex queen? I do, I told them to release it before it was too late, the next update they post said it was dead.(IDC if I ranted) I don't want a war either but Idonexist should wait for some of the easier species in their region.

Edited by Antkeeper01, February 25 2022 - 5:58 AM.

#234 Offline OiledOlives - Posted February 25 2022 - 6:07 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I'd keep any ants I caught, regardless of difficulty. I would rather try to keep an ant and gain experience from it than just give up and let it go.

• Locness likes this

#235 Offline NicholasP - Posted February 25 2022 - 9:02 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Should I tell you all the story of my Polyergus mexicanus and how I was still a beginner when I kept them, and I was successful in raising them? Of course, they did die in the end because there was leak in their water tower. But they did get to bios, and I never thought they would since I was still a beginner. The thing is even if you're a beginner you should keep any ant you find. Each time you keep an ant queen or colony you learn from your successes and mistakes. Although the queen and or colony may die it helps you learn a lot more when you keep them than releasing them.

#236 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted February 25 2022 - 9:05 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Should I tell you all the story of my Polyergus mexicanus and how I was still a beginner when I kept them, and I was successful in raising them? Of course, they did die in the end because there was leak in their water tower. But they did get to bios, and I never thought they would since I was still a beginner. The thing is even if you're a beginner you should keep any ant you find. Each time you keep an ant queen or colony you learn from your successes and mistakes. Although the queen and or colony may die it helps you learn a lot more when you keep them than releasing them.

But! Did you keep any ants at all before that?

#237 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted February 25 2022 - 9:13 AM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

I agree with OiledOlives in that you should gain as much knowledge as you can from catching queens but you also need to do research on how to keep them. I believe in you Idontexist best of luck with your Odontomachus queen.

Edited by ColAnt735, February 25 2022 - 9:41 AM.

• Locness likes this

"If an ant carries an object a hundred times it's weight,you can carry burdens many times your size.

#238 Offline NicholasP - Posted February 25 2022 - 12:38 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

But! Did you keep any ants at all before that?

Yes, and so has Idontexist starting with his Monomorium so I don't see your point here.

Edited by NicholasP, February 25 2022 - 12:38 PM.

#239 Offline bmb1bee - Posted February 25 2022 - 3:32 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

I feel like Idontexist should still listen to everyone else here. We're giving him all this good advice but he doesn't really apply any of them... I still believe that he should keep his Odontomachus and Ectatomma queens, but should better take care of them and for goodness's sake, PLEASE DO MORE RESEARCH. It seems like he does know some stuff about ants, so I'll give him some credit for that. However, he should at least try to let us help him, first by giving us more pictures and information instead of blurry images and "my queens died", second by learning how to take care of ants better. I've been following this thread for quite some time now, and I feel like everything is exactly the same as when it started, except instead of beginner ants they're now difficult ants that people have trouble with. My opinion, so please don't take it personally... Best of luck on your queens.

• Antkeeper01 and ColAnt735 like this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#240 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 25 2022 - 5:54 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,440 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
This journal just keeps going, but all the good ones fizzle out after six or seven posts. Irony.
  • Antkeeper01, NancyZamora4991 and ZATrippit like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users