• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTS_KL's Ant Journal!

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#61 Offline SYUTEO - Posted December 6 2021 - 2:29 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

UPDATE
Pheidole cf. comata, Solenopsis geminata and Iridomyrmex anceps are doing very well! I am passing my Solenopsis geminata colony to my neighbor soon so I'll have to say goodbye...
Odontomachus has no brood :| I hope she can restart
Meanwhile the old colonies are doing very well! I don't even have to update on any of them as they have been the same for very long now.
Oecophylla queen is fine. She is alive but no brood. Hoping to find more!
Pseudolasius is alive and might get larvae soon!!
Dinomyrmex gigas and Ghost ants sadly passed away...
And lastly, a new addition! Monomorium floricola! This is a very interesting species as they are commonly found nesting in tree branches and collect nectar from flowers as sustenance. So far they take the honey and mealworm I have provided so I'm hoping this goes well!

That's unfortunate. :( D. gigas are rather sensitive and next time only check her once every two or three weeks or with a flashlight attached to some red film, make sure the light is also red and you don't want it too bright.

• ANTS_KL likes this

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#62 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted December 8 2021 - 5:15 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

New addition again! Tis isn't an update but more so a notification.
I found a small Proatta butteli colony! I managed to obtain 1 queen lots of brood and 40-50 workers! This species is carnivorous and eats many insects. Hope this works out!

• Antkeeper01, SYUTEO and eea like this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#63 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted December 21 2021 - 6:31 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Update!
Everything is the same as last update, but the Proatta and Monomorium floricola have new brood and are doing great! And I was given a Prionopelta sp. queen and I'm unsure how to care for her. Antwiki says they like campodeids but I do not think I can find any. Any suggestions for food?

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#64 Offline SYUTEO - Posted December 21 2021 - 6:44 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Springtails or fruit flies seem to be the only logical prey items other than centipedes. If she rejects both, then I guess you will have to feed her centipedes. Also your Pheidole cf comata might also be Pheidole noda.

#65 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted December 21 2021 - 3:36 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Springtails or fruit flies seem to be the only logical prey items other than centipedes. If she rejects both, then I guess you will have to feed her centipedes. Also your Pheidole cf comata might also be Pheidole noda.

Pheidole noda seem like a possibility, and at this point all I can say is black Pheidole. There are too many black Pheidole in Malaysia  :lol: I have given her springtails but they may be too large for her so I will try smaller ones. And I don't have access to a steady supply of geophiliomorph centipedes because I'm not at my grandmas house  :lol: I will also try crushed springtails and maybe a crushed cricket hatchling too!

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#66 Offline SYUTEO - Posted December 21 2021 - 5:55 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Pheidole noda seem like a possibility, and at this point all I can say is black Pheidole. There are too many black Pheidole in Malaysia  :lol: I have given her springtails but they may be too large for her so I will try smaller ones. And I don't have access to a steady supply of geophiliomorph centipedes because I'm not at my grandmas house  :lol: I will also try crushed springtails and maybe a crushed cricket hatchling too!

I've been trying to find Amblyoponinaes for so long but they are so rare in Malaysia. Also, all you need to find centipedes is to flip rocks or dig somewhere and get lucky.

• Antkeeper01 and ANTS_KL like this

#67 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted December 21 2021 - 10:50 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Pheidole noda seem like a possibility, and at this point all I can say is black Pheidole. There are too many black Pheidole in Malaysia I have given her springtails but they may be too large for her so I will try smaller ones. And I don't have access to a steady supply of geophiliomorph centipedes because I'm not at my grandmas house I will also try crushed springtails and maybe a crushed cricket hatchling too!
I've been trying to find Amblyoponinaes for so long but they are so rare in Malaysia. Also, all you need to find centipedes is to flip rocks or dig somewhere and get lucky.
This queen was found under a brick in an urban area

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk
  • Antkeeper01 and PaigeX like this

#68 Offline SYUTEO - Posted December 23 2021 - 5:48 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Pheidole noda seem like a possibility, and at this point all I can say is black Pheidole. There are too many black Pheidole in Malaysia I have given her springtails but they may be too large for her so I will try smaller ones. And I don't have access to a steady supply of geophiliomorph centipedes because I'm not at my grandmas house I will also try crushed springtails and maybe a crushed cricket hatchling too!

How can you find forest species in urban areas???
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#69 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted December 23 2021 - 7:16 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

How can you find forest species in urban areas???

I found Strumigenys in my neighborhood and afaik it wasn't a sp that often nests in urban areas. So......

• SYUTEO and azzaaazzzz00 like this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#70 Offline SYUTEO - Posted December 23 2021 - 11:50 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I guess you're all just extremely lucky. (:

Edited by SYUTEO, December 23 2021 - 11:51 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#71 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted December 24 2021 - 8:14 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

well my sister lost it an hour later so not really

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#72 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted December 25 2021 - 1:34 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Nah the neighbor has soil from the forest so multiple colonies might have had a nuptial flight. He works at a durian farm so there are lots of cool ants there.

#73 Offline SYUTEO - Posted December 25 2021 - 4:30 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Nah the neighbor has soil from the forest so multiple colonies might have had a nuptial flight. He works at a durian farm so there are lots of cool ants there.

Wow. I never found Amblyoponinaes in the plantation before.

• Antkeeper01 and ANTS_KL like this

#74 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted January 3 2022 - 7:44 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

quick update: every colony is fine except the Tetramorium. They passed away from old age  :*( . I'm glad they lasted a whole year with me. And the Prionopelta queen passed away due to unknown causes. Pushing the bad news aside, the Solenopsis geminata have grown a lot! Happy New Year to everyone!

Edited by ANTS_KL, January 3 2022 - 7:44 PM.

• PaigeX likes this

#75 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted February 23 2022 - 4:44 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I'm BACK HAHAHHA
I got lazy so I didn't update
But here I am!
My ant collection is really small right now because I'm not having any luck yet!
Proatta butteli, 3 Pheidole cf. noda and one Iridomyrmex anceps colonies are all alive!
I have 1 Colobopsis sp. queen and 2 unidentified Dolichoderine queens too! 
Everything else has died.
I don't know how long it will take before I can find more queens but I'll try to keep this journal updated and not slack off!

#76 Offline SYUTEO - Posted February 23 2022 - 5:04 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Good luck with the Colobopsis!

• ANTS_KL likes this

#77 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted March 8 2022 - 4:31 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Woahhhh another update! (finally using my laptop)
So this post will be more focused on the Colobopsis queen. I suspect her to be a Colobopsis vitrea queen and she has larvae (I saw one nodding its head while trying to eat a trophic egg). Her larvae are growing slowly but they have gotten bigger since the last time I checked. I do not know if I can get workers from her as she seems quite skinny. BUT I gave her some honey and she drank most of it so I guess she is okay now? The Dolichoderines on the other hand are not doing so well. They have almost no eggs so I'll get them into test tubes. That's all for now!

• AntsCali098 likes this

#78 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted April 5 2022 - 5:13 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

UPDATE
I decided to clear out my colonies for new queens. My current collection comprises of Iridomyrmex anceps (recovering from worker loss. raised one new worker alone), Odontomachus rixosus (will likely die due to lack of information on care. Watched her mate twice), Camponotus cf. arrogans (likely infertile), Paratopula sp. (likely infertile) and Solenopsis geminata.

#79 Offline SYUTEO - Posted April 5 2022 - 5:46 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Is your O.rixosus queen the old one or a new one? You could try what you done before which is by introducing a wild worker to her or try to brood boost her somehow. O. rixosus is also polygynous. Here's a little information I found about their care. (Scroll down to the comment section)

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#80 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted April 7 2022 - 5:04 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Is your O.rixosus queen the old one or a new one? You could try what you done before which is by introducing a wild worker to her or try to brood boost her somehow. O. rixosus is also polygynous. Here's a little information I found about their care. (Scroll down to the comment section)

Thank you. This queen is a new one, caught during a nuptial flight (at least I think it was their flight. There were so many O. rixosus males). The old queen passed away due to her not laying eggs. If I can go into a forest sooner or later, I will try to dig up a bit of brood and workers. 

• Antkeeper01 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users