• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTS_KL's Ant Journal!

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#21 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 14 2021 - 12:58 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Hi Ants KL, are the weavers living in a big test tube? Do you enclose it with cotton bud? Or use talcum/alcohol rub?

I keep them in an escape proofed Exo-terra. I use a kind of vine, better known as a money plant. They are in a huge test tube and are refusing to move out cuz they are stupid. The test tube was just left there and they decided to seal the entrance and make it smaller.
Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk
Oic, money plant has poisonous sap, so maybe they are cautious not to stay in there?
Do you mean Pachira aqutica or Epipremnum aureum?
Idk.... It's the vine with green and white leaves. And it's sorta lime ish color

Does it look like Epipremnum aureum?

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#22 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 14 2021 - 12:59 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Hi Ants KL, are the weavers living in a big test tube? Do you enclose it with cotton bud? Or use talcum/alcohol rub?

I keep them in an escape proofed Exo-terra. I use a kind of vine, better known as a money plant. They are in a huge test tube and are refusing to move out cuz they are stupid. The test tube was just left there and they decided to seal the entrance and make it smaller.

Oic, money plant has poisonous sap, so maybe they are cautious not to stay in there?

Do you mean Pachira aqutica or Epipremnum aureum?

Idk.... It's the vine with green and white leaves. And it's sorta lime ish color

Does it look like Epipremnum aureum?

Yaya

• SYUTEO likes this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#23 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 15 2021 - 1:56 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
Update!
Bad news. Crematogaster had 3 workers but 1 died so down to 2. Pheidole dying. Good news, simillimus larva bigger, and new queen! Pics after eggs are laid. Sp is Tetraponera rufonigra! Help on care pls.

• Antkeeper01 and SYUTEO like this

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#24 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 15 2021 - 2:07 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I believe the cause of the Crematogaster and Pheidole dying is stress, try covering them from light and only expose them to light when feeding them, try doing it for a week and see if that works.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#25 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 15 2021 - 3:19 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I believe the cause of the Crematogaster and Pheidole dying is stress, try covering them from light and only expose them to light when feeding them, try doing it for a week and see if that works.

I think it's actually hygiene issues. The trash piles are close to the ants so it's hard to clean.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#26 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 15 2021 - 3:39 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I think it's actually hygiene issues. The trash piles are close to the ants so it's hard to clean.

Hmm, that's a bit strange, before moving my L. rothneyi colony to a new test tube, their trash piles are also very close to the brood but they didn't deplete in numbers that quickly. The same is for my Pheidole parva (when they are still living in a test tube) and my previous Iridomyrmex anceps colony (they didn't die from the trash, but I'm still not 100% sure what they died from).

• Antkeeper01 and ANTS_KL like this

#27 Offline ashley1505 - Posted July 27 2021 - 3:31 PM

ashley1505

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Ants KL, did you chance upon their queens or bought from a store? You are staying in KL right?
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#28 Offline ashley1505 - Posted July 27 2021 - 3:38 PM

ashley1505

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Any updates to your weaver colony? Photos if possible? I'm still yearning for a weaver colony so any news of a flourishing one is good news :)
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#29 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 28 2021 - 11:45 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Ants KL, did you chance upon their queens or bought from a store? You are staying in KL right?

I stay in Petaling Jaya but everyone here calls it KL. I used to stay in KL anyway. I catch all my queens and some are from my neighbor.

#30 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 28 2021 - 11:47 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Any updates to your weaver colony? Photos if possible? I'm still yearning for a weaver colony so any news of a flourishing one is good news :)

I don't have too good of news to share. The colony is at 3 workers and brood growth has slowed to a halt. However is should be around 3 days till my Odontomachus simillimus queens larva has a pupa. And my new black crazy ant colony is doing great! The Crematogaster died and I'm still getting over that... No pics as I'm really not in the mood.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#31 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 28 2021 - 11:51 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I don't have too good of news to share. The colony is at 3 workers and brood growth has slowed to a halt. However is should be around 3 days till my Odontomachus simillimus queens larva has a pupa. And my new black crazy ant colony is doing great! The Crematogaster died and I'm still getting over that... No pics as I'm really not in the mood.

Better luck next time. Hopefully you'll get more soon.

#32 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 29 2021 - 3:15 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Better luck next time. Hopefully you'll get more soon.
Nah I prolly won't. I haven't seen queen ants let alone insects in the past 3 weeks

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#33 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 31 2021 - 7:14 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
Sad news, the weaver ants workers all died and the queen is alone. I'll try to get her to found again. The Carebara is dead. Odontomachus rixosus aren't doing too well. Simillimus larva should pupate soon. Everyone else is fine.

I won't be updating for a few weeks as I'm not rlly free rn.

• Antkeeper01 and SYUTEO like this

#34 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted July 31 2021 - 7:39 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

brood boost the weaver queen!!

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#35 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 31 2021 - 6:48 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Check your ants for mites, they could be the cause of your ants' deaths. Make sure all food you give them is pesticide free. Keep them away from direct sunlight. Do not keep them in an air conditioned room. Feed them more often. Check on your O. rixosus and Carebara queens less often, during feeding, don't shine light onto them. O. rixosus is more sensitive to O. simillimus. Try different setups for Carebara the next time you found them (I would suggest filling up a test tube with substrate and introducing your queen in, It's the only setup I had success with). 

#36 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 31 2021 - 8:04 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Check your ants for mites, they could be the cause of your ants' deaths. Make sure all food you give them is pesticide free. Keep them away from direct sunlight. Do not keep them in an air conditioned room. Feed them more often. Check on your O. rixosus and Carebara queens less often, during feeding, don't shine light onto them. O. rixosus is more sensitive to O. simillimus. Try different setups for Carebara the next time you found them (I would suggest filling up a test tube with substrate and introducing your queen in, It's the only setup I had success with).

I did all the above. Also I can't brood boost the weaver cuz all the nests I find are guard posts.

#37 Offline ashley1505 - Posted July 31 2021 - 8:09 PM

ashley1505

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Sad news, the weaver ants workers all died and the queen is alone. I'll try to get her to found again. The Carebara is dead. Odontomachus rixosus aren't doing too well. Simillimus larva should pupate soon. Everyone else is fine.
Sent from my CPH2201 using TapatalkI won't be updating for a few weeks as I'm not rlly free rn.

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear this... don't be too sad, they r truly small n fragile... let's wait for the next opportunity to try again.. But u have done extremely well as u got them this far!

#38 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 31 2021 - 8:12 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Sent from my CPH2201 using TapatalkI won't be updating for a few weeks as I'm not rlly free rn.

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear this... don't be too sad, they r truly small n fragile... let's wait for the next opportunity to try again.. But u have done extremely well as u got them this far!
Yeah I guess... I hope I can still brood boost the queen before she dies. I have her in a temporary enclosure. I just need iridomyrmex anceps and I'll be happy and stop catching ants lol. Mco has been rough. I'll see if I can update in around 3 weeks but I'll probably not be updating for a month or more since I have a few issues here with my ants and the general hobby. It's gonna be hard to get by for me but if I release anyone I'll keep the rarer ants.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#39 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 31 2021 - 10:28 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I did all the above. Also I can't brood boost the weaver cuz all the nests I find are guard posts.

Ok, hopefully everything works out and your ants recover. Also, you should feed your ants a variety of foods so your ants get all the nutrients they need.

#40 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 31 2021 - 10:45 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Ok, hopefully everything works out and your ants recover. Also, you should feed your ants a variety of foods so your ants get all the nutrients they need.
I do.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users