• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

[Europe] Looking to buy Lasius pupae.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NPLT - Posted June 15 2021 - 8:47 AM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationPiaseczno, Poland

Hello, fairly recently I have come in possesion of a Lasius queen in the Chtonolasius subgenus along with 7 host workers, and I am looking to buy pupae of any of the following species:  Lasius alienus, Lasius brunneus, Lasius emarginatus, or Lasius niger preferably though the latter species.

My location is Poland, Mazovia, Piaseczno.

I am willing to pay maximally 34 euro and the shipping costs up to 10 euro ( I'm sorry if it doesn't seem like a lot, but 34 Euro translates to roughly 150 Polish złoty, so, it's fairly much for me  ).

Edited by NPLT, June 15 2021 - 8:53 AM.

Um, uh, Ants!

link to journal: https://www.formicul...lt-ant-journal/

#2 Offline GeorgeK - Posted June 15 2021 - 1:33 PM

GeorgeK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSiberia

There's no point in purchasing them online, especially if you live anywhere near where said species have colonies.
Just wait until early morning or later in the afternoon and look below anything on the ground, be it rocks or plastic and turn it around, there is more than likely going to be ants with pupae there as they bring them close to surface to incubate during the day.
Simply scoop how many you need and enjoy.

#3 Offline NPLT - Posted June 15 2021 - 1:47 PM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

There's no point in purchasing them online, especially if you live anywhere near where said species have colonies.
Just wait until early morning or later in the afternoon and look below anything on the ground, be it rocks or plastic and turn it around, there is more than likely going to be ants with pupae there as they bring them close to surface to incubate during the day.
Simply scoop how many you need and enjoy.

Unfortunately in my parts, the ants of these species nest nearly always between pavement stones, and thus I am unable to find pupae, also, due to a cold spell in early spring, wild colonies currently mostly have larvae, thus the only way for me to get pupae is if somebody would be willing to sell me pupae from captive colonies, or from places that didn't experience said cold weather. 

Edited by NPLT, June 15 2021 - 1:50 PM.

Um, uh, Ants!

#4 Offline GeorgeK - Posted June 15 2021 - 1:53 PM

GeorgeK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSiberia

Ah, that makes much more sense. I'm afraid I can't help you much in that case, however, have you tried looking at any Polish people who might help you? I know that there is a lot of Facebook groups for each European country, hopefully you could get someone there to help you without actually having to spend much (if any at all) money.

#5 Offline NPLT - Posted June 15 2021 - 2:02 PM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Ah, that makes much more sense. I'm afraid I can't help you much in that case, however, have you tried looking at any Polish people who might help you? I know that there is a lot of Facebook groups for each European country, hopefully you could get someone there to help you without actually having to spend much (if any at all) money.

Yes, as of now I have made an offer on another forum similar to this offer ( cannot do it on facebook, as I lack an account )... however the only person interested on that forum has sadly not found any pupae, thus I thought I could try my luck here.

Um, uh, Ants!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users