• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is it normal for

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted June 15 2021 - 3:15 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

I apologize that you all have taken offence to my statement. I understand that your internal bias has led you to believe that autism is a reflection of someone's intelligence. However, what I actually meant, was they exhibit behaviours which differentiate from the neurotypical.

ok good

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#22 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted June 15 2021 - 4:29 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

I added a light over the outworld, hopefully they'll move. Otherwise not sure... maybe just wait...? but it doesn't make sense for the queen lay eggs in the outworld and the workers come and take it back to the nest.

Yup, so sooner or later the queen would definitly move to the actual nest. You have done most of the things that would help (like making the nest dark and the outworld bright). That would have to be one stubborn queen to not move even in those conditions.

Edited by azzaaazzzz00, June 15 2021 - 4:32 PM.

• PetsNotPests and ColAnt735 like this
Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#23 Offline PetsNotPests - Posted June 16 2021 - 8:35 AM

PetsNotPests

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • LocationSouthern LA County, California

I added a light over the outworld, hopefully they'll move. Otherwise not sure... maybe just wait...? but it doesn't make sense for the queen lay eggs in the outworld and the workers come and take it back to the nest.

Yup, so sooner or later the queen would definitly move to the actual nest. You have done most of the things that would help (like making the nest dark and the outworld bright). That would have to be one stubborn queen to not move even in those conditions.

Keeping the outworld dry and the nest hydrated is also a great option. 

• azzaaazzzz00 likes this

Ants are Pets, not Pests. 

-Camponotus sansabeanus

-Camponotus US-CA02

-Camponotus vicinus

-Formica podzolica

-Monomorium spp.

-Pogonomyrmex californicus

-Solenopsis spp. 

#24 Offline hestoncv - Posted June 17 2021 - 6:28 AM

hestoncv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Sometimes ants just get super autistic, however rest assured that they know what suits them best.
I'm assuming that hearth is all cleaned and doesn't have any stench to it that might drive ants away though, so they should eventually move once colony gets larger.
I had more often than not my colonies move into tubing between nest and outworld, turning that into their nest area until they grew to a certain size when they just moved on their own.

I don't understand getting offended by a simple word. Autism is an issue with social things, a living space seems social to me so it applies. I assume it's easier to get offended if you have autism though.

Sometimes ants just get super autistic, however rest assured that they know what suits them best.
I'm assuming that hearth is all cleaned and doesn't have any stench to it that might drive ants away though, so they should eventually move once colony gets larger.
I had more often than not my colonies move into tubing between nest and outworld, turning that into their nest area until they grew to a certain size when they just moved on their own.

I don't understand getting offended by a simple word. Autism is an issue with social things, a living space seems social to me so it applies. I assume it's easier to get offended if you have autism though.

#25 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 17 2021 - 6:32 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Ok. Thanks for your input.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#26 Offline Queen - Posted June 17 2021 - 4:50 PM

Queen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSan Gabriel Valley

Today I noticed all the broods were moved into the nest. Most but a few workers also moved into the nest. There are a few workers lingering in the outworld next to the queen, which remains to budge from her little area/space from a few days back.

#27 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 18 2021 - 3:41 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Today I noticed all the broods were moved into the nest. Most but a few workers also moved into the nest. There are a few workers lingering in the outworld next to the queen, which remains to budge from her little area/space from a few days back.

Looks like the light at least helped. Hopefully the rest move soon.

#28 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 18 2021 - 6:05 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Blow on them every twenty minutes using a straw. Show them the outworld is NOT a secure place for brood.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users