• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is it normal for

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Queen - Posted June 14 2021 - 9:20 PM

Queen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSan Gabriel Valley

the colony, queen, and brood to live in the outworld of THA Hearth? The nest has all the appropriate humidity, water, ventilation, and heat. The outworld only has sugar water tower.

#2 Offline GeorgeK - Posted June 15 2021 - 12:03 AM

GeorgeK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSiberia

Sometimes ants just get super autistic, however rest assured that they know what suits them best.
I'm assuming that hearth is all cleaned and doesn't have any stench to it that might drive ants away though, so they should eventually move once colony gets larger.
I had more often than not my colonies move into tubing between nest and outworld, turning that into their nest area until they grew to a certain size when they just moved on their own.

• Somethinghmm and hestoncv like this

#3 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted June 15 2021 - 6:48 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

Sometimes ants just get super autistic, however rest assured that they know what suits them best.
I'm assuming that hearth is all cleaned and doesn't have any stench to it that might drive ants away though, so they should eventually move once colony gets larger.
I had more often than not my colonies move into tubing between nest and outworld, turning that into their nest area until they grew to a certain size when they just moved on their own.

that hurts I was diagnosed with ASD in February.

• Swirlysnowflake and NPLT like this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#4 Offline iulius - Posted June 15 2021 - 7:38 AM

iulius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFrance

the colony, queen, and brood to live in the outworld of THA Hearth? The nest has all the appropriate humidity, water, ventilation, and heat. The outworld only has sugar water tower.

Have you tried to cover the glass of the nest with opaque paper (cardboard carton for instance)?  It might help for the move towards the nest, if darker than the outworld.

#5 Offline Queen - Posted June 15 2021 - 7:58 AM

Queen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

I noticed today half of the workers moved in with broods, some remain outside with the queen.

Yes, it is cleaned without any stench.

Have you tried to cover the glass of the nest with opaque paper (cardboard carton for instance)?  It might help for the move towards the nest, if darker than the outworld.

Yes, it is covered.

#6 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 15 2021 - 8:16 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

that hurts I was diagnosed with ASD in February.

I hate when people throw around that term like it means stupid or something. I've worked with kids who have autism and they are not stupid, they are just like anyone else. I'm really disappointed to see a member of this forum use it like that. I'm sorry that you had to deal with this Antkeeper01.

Edited by Kaelwizard, June 15 2021 - 8:21 AM.

• AntsMaryland, Swirlysnowflake, Antkeeper01 and 1 other like this

#7 Offline NPLT - Posted June 15 2021 - 8:39 AM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationPiaseczno, Poland

I have Asperger's, which is on the autistic spectrum, it's really hurtful to use autism as a byword of idiotic.

• Swirlysnowflake, yaboiseth and Antkeeper01 like this

Um, uh, Ants!

link to journal: https://www.formicul...lt-ant-journal/

#8 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted June 15 2021 - 8:59 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

I have Asperger's, which is on the autistic spectrum, it's really hurtful to use autism as a byword of idiotic.

yeah me to thankfully i don't have level 2 or 3

• yaboiseth and NPLT like this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#9 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 15 2021 - 9:06 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Also have asperger’s here. Many antkeepers are autistic, so using that term is just insulting.
  • Swirlysnowflake, Antkeeper01 and NPLT like this

#10 Offline Queen - Posted June 15 2021 - 9:12 AM

Queen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

I am sorry you all feel that way. I can only imagine what you are all going through.

I check on this forum, specifically, my questions posted whenever I have find time and generally get excited when I receive an answer, observation, or experience to my question(s). While you can post whatever you want (I think?), I encourage you all to report those, if you haven't already done so, whom you may believe have either violated rules of this forum and/or have offended you in some way so the admins can take appropriate actions. At the same time, I also appreciate it greatly if we can keep the posts related to the original my question or topic asked. So, if you have any answer, observation, experience, and/or opinion to the question I asked, I would really like to read from you. Thank you.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#11 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 15 2021 - 9:18 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Sorry for the hijack and to answer your question, it happens a lot. You can try to make the conditions in the outworld inhospitable in the hopes that they move.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#12 Offline NPLT - Posted June 15 2021 - 9:26 AM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

I am sorry you all feel that way. I can only imagine what you are all going through.

I check on this forum, specifically, my questions posted whenever I have find time and generally get excited when I receive an answer, observation, or experience to my question(s). While you can post whatever you want (I think?), I encourage you all to report those, if you haven't already done so, whom you may believe have either violated rules of this forum and/or have offended you in some way so the admins can take appropriate actions. At the same time, I also appreciate it greatly if we can keep the posts related to the original my question or topic asked. So, if you have any answer, observation, experience, and/or opinion to the question I asked, I would really like to read from you. Thank you.

Honestly, I'd just wait, as it appears to me you've already done what should be done, so, they will move in given time.

Um, uh, Ants!

#13 Offline Queen - Posted June 15 2021 - 9:33 AM

Queen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Thank you! I actually was just thinking about adding a light to make the outworld super bright and uncomfortable for them. I also thought of manually moving the queen into the nest and maybe the workers will follow

#14 Offline PetsNotPests - Posted June 15 2021 - 9:48 AM

PetsNotPests

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • LocationSouthern LA County, California

Only manually move a queen ant if it's a last resort. Doing so can stress out the said queen, and stress leads to no egg-laying, the consumption of any left over brood, or death in some cases. I would just suggest covering up the nest portion, while shining a light on the outworld, which you seem to be doing. Good luck.

Edited by PetsNotPests, June 15 2021 - 9:49 AM.

• cap_backfire likes this

Ants are Pets, not Pests. 

-Camponotus sansabeanus

-Camponotus US-CA02

-Camponotus vicinus

-Formica podzolica

-Monomorium spp.

-Pogonomyrmex californicus

-Solenopsis spp. 

#15 Offline Subverted - Posted June 15 2021 - 1:40 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

I hate when people throw around that term like it means stupid or something. I've worked with kids who have autism and they are not stupid, they are just like anyone else. I'm really disappointed to see a member of this forum use it like that. I'm sorry that you had to deal with this Antkeeper01.

The only person who is even implying that it ever is used "like it means stupid or something" in this thread is you Kaelwizard...
  • Somethinghmm and DDD101DDD like this

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#16 Offline GeorgeK - Posted June 15 2021 - 1:51 PM

GeorgeK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSiberia

I apologize that you all have taken offence to my statement. I understand that your internal bias has led you to believe that autism is a reflection of someone's intelligence. However, what I actually meant, was they exhibit behaviours which differentiate from the neurotypical.

• NickAnter, Antkeeper01 and drawpositive like this

#17 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 15 2021 - 1:55 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

The only person who is even implying that it ever is used "like it means stupid or something" in this thread is you Kaelwizard...

It was a general statement based on the way I often hear it used and the point is that it has offended people on the forum. Even if it was not intended to mean that, it can be interpreted as such and people took offense.

• Swirlysnowflake and Antkeeper01 like this

#18 Offline Subverted - Posted June 15 2021 - 1:59 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

It was a general statement based on the way I often hear it used and the point is that it has offended people on the forum. Even if it was not intended to mean that, it can be interpreted as such and people took offense.

When I read "autistic" I thought "different than average needs"... When you read "autistic" you thought "stupid or something".
  • Antkeeper01 and drawpositive like this

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#19 Offline NPLT - Posted June 15 2021 - 2:04 PM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

When I read "autistic" I thought "different than average needs"... When you read "autistic" you thought "stupid or something".

As another person who tought that, and is autistic, we've heard used as an insult so much, that many just assume it to be used as such.

Edited by NPLT, June 15 2021 - 4:43 PM.

• Swirlysnowflake and Antkeeper01 like this

Um, uh, Ants!

#20 Offline Queen - Posted June 15 2021 - 2:26 PM

Queen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

I added a light over the outworld, hopefully they'll move. Otherwise not sure... maybe just wait...? but it doesn't make sense for the queen lay eggs in the outworld and the workers come and take it back to the nest.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users