• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

JohCastro Colobopsis JTL035

colobopsis

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline johcastro - Posted June 8 2021 - 8:41 PM

johcastro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
2 Eggs 1 Queen
Album: Colobopsis JTL)#%
12 images
0 comments

Hi guys, I just moved to a different part of my country (Costa Rica) about 6 months ago, and when the rainy season started (May) I started noticying colobopsis (that are not supposed to be on my country) showing up, so, I started collecting, so far I got about 10-12, I know I should not catch that many, but I promise I left most of them go, I just kept the ones that took out the wings so I could maximize my chances of starting the colony. The time of catch varies from just a couple of days for some up to 2-3 weeks for others.

I will keep posting photos as they hopefully lay eggs.

reeKGla.jpg

Edited by johcastro, June 8 2021 - 8:55 PM.

• Antkeeper01 and Chickalo like this

#2 Offline johcastro - Posted June 17 2021 - 8:06 PM

johcastro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

First update, feels like forerever since I can't look at the ants at all... but when I did, found that they seem to be evolving in sub aquatic lifeforms? for some reason they are burrowing into the water barrier, I mean, from what I understand these are low humidity wood dwelling ants... 

Sub aquatic Colobopsis

Out of the 12 catched, most have take out their wings, however, almost all of them are dweling into the water barrier for some reason, the others that still have wings also do it from time to time on the half an hour I spend watching them, any advise is appreciated... ANY.

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 18 2021 - 2:47 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Colobopsis need a tighter space to feel comfortable. I think they are tunneling in the wet cotton looking for security. Consider moving them to a much narrower tube. You could even give them some hollow twigs to move into.
  • TennesseeAnts, azzaaazzzz00 and johcastro like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline johcastro - Posted June 18 2021 - 6:34 AM

johcastro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Colobopsis need a tighter space to feel comfortable. I think they are tunneling in the wet cotton looking for security. Consider moving them to a much narrower tube. You could even give them some hollow twigs to move into.

I read something like that on another post... so, I did this: 

Colochamber

Just in case, I put bark on 2 of them, and put cork in other 2, they seem to like to chew at it, and then they go back to digging the cotton, I keep another 2 in the set like the previous picture.

#5 Offline johcastro - Posted June 22 2021 - 8:48 PM

johcastro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Well, there is 1 egg, at least, from all the ants, hopefully, next week when I check there will be more.

Primer huevo

#6 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 23 2021 - 5:29 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Don't expect very many eggs. Being such small queens with such large eggs, they can't produce a whole lot at once. When I found C. impressa and C. obliqua colonies I usually found them in a polygyne setting with anywhere from 3 to 7 queens.

• johcastro likes this

#7 Offline johcastro - Posted June 23 2021 - 10:53 AM

johcastro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Don't expect very many eggs. Being such small queens with such large eggs, they can't produce a whole lot at once. When I found C. impressa and C. obliqua colonies I usually found them in a polygyne setting with anywhere from 3 to 7 queens.

Thanks, that's good to know, as is an unstudied species in costa rica there is really not much information about it, I attempted to leave a couple of queens in a single tube... until next week I will not know if there is any advance

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#8 Offline johcastro - Posted June 26 2021 - 7:04 PM

johcastro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

My first egg laying queen died of aparently no reasons... fortunatelly there is 3 more queens with eggs now, and one with something that I think is a pupa, but I'm being told that is not likely one, but a chewed egg... ill post the video cuz I still have my reserves... the thing has visible eyes, gaster and abdomen, so I'm not buying the chewed egg theory.

This is the possible pupa, let me know what do you think

possible pupa far away
WhatsApp Image 2021 06 26 At 7.42.58 PM
This is a quick video where I try to show all the angles, If you can't see it here, it is also available on the album at the top of the page. Or here 
Possible Pupa video for angles 

And these are the new eggs
New Egg

Surprisingly enough, an alate put 2 eggs at once
2 Eggs 1 Queen

Edited by johcastro, June 26 2021 - 7:12 PM.

• ANTdrew likes this

#9 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted June 27 2021 - 2:25 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

love the noodle eggs

• johcastro likes this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#10 Offline johcastro - Posted June 27 2021 - 2:59 PM

johcastro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

For some reason, one of the ones I put on the cramped space, died, all healthy, just went to sleep... u.u.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#11 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted June 27 2021 - 3:08 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

sorry dude

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#12 Offline johcastro - Posted June 27 2021 - 4:13 PM

johcastro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

sorry dude

It is what it is, at least there is enough queens for me not to worry yet, when I'm on my last 3 and no colony is around... that's when you will see me worry jajajja.

#13 Offline johcastro - Posted July 20 2021 - 6:44 PM

johcastro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

It seems the Colobopsis Sp really dislike me like nothing else I have ever seen, I got everything from queens eating its eggs, just refusing to put eggs, digging the cotton all the way to freedom, drowning on the cotton water after digging all the way to the water... .for some reason they just don't want me to have a functional colony jajajja.

• TestSubjectOne likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: colobopsis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users