• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Random question that paranoids me

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted June 7 2021 - 10:04 AM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

So I was checking on my newley caught Camponyus Pennsylvanicus queen (for some reason there are like swarms of them outside where I live), I was watching her care and hover over the eggs when I came to this random questions: what if her wing muscle stores weren't enough? How would I now this? And what could I do about?

Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#2 Offline Crazycow - Posted June 7 2021 - 10:05 AM

Crazycow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWashinton
They are and if they aren’t she will eat some of her eggs for more energy. Do not feed her before she has her first gen because this could stress her and cause her to eat her eggs or worse die.

#3 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted June 7 2021 - 10:08 AM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Oh ok, thank! These random questions keep poppin up for some reason lol.

• Antkeeper01 and ColAnt735 like this

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#4 Offline NPLT - Posted June 7 2021 - 10:09 AM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationPiaseczno, Poland

So I was checking on my newley caught Camponyus Pennsylvanicus queen (for some reason there are like swarms of them outside where I live), I was watching her care and hover over the eggs when I came to this random questions: what if her wing muscle stores weren't enough? How would I now this? And what could I do about?

Nothin' really, I doubt a claustral queen would accept food, a queen like that would probably get removed from the gene pool in nature unless she got real lucky, same goes for test tubes, but she shouldn't have not enough food to produce nanitics.

Edited by NPLT, June 7 2021 - 10:10 AM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Um, uh, Ants!

link to journal: https://www.formicul...lt-ant-journal/

#5 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted June 7 2021 - 10:12 AM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Ok, good that's a relief!

• Antkeeper01 and ColAnt735 like this

#6 Offline ReignofRage - Posted June 7 2021 - 10:17 AM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationCalif.

They are and if they aren’t she will eat some of her eggs for more energy. Do not feed her before she has her first gen because this could stress her and cause her to eat her eggs or worse die.

Feeding queens a little sugar when you tube them can be helpful, it's no more stress than they already are in. After that I only feed queens if they look sickly or if a dealate won't produce.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 7 2021 - 11:49 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Ants dominate planet earth for a reason. They are incredibly tough and resilient. I’d bet on their ability to survive every time. Don’t worry about your queen too much.
  • PetsNotPests likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#8 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 7 2021 - 12:22 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Nothin' really, I doubt a claustral queen would accept food, a queen like that would probably get removed from the gene pool in nature unless she got real lucky, same goes for test tubes, but she shouldn't have not enough food to produce nanitics.
Claustral doesn’t mean they won’t eat while founding, it just means they don’t need to.

Edit: typo

Edited by Kaelwizard, June 7 2021 - 12:23 PM.

• MrPurpleB likes this

#9 Offline CreepHazard - Posted June 9 2021 - 4:52 AM

CreepHazard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationKerala, India

I guess that's nothing much to worry about. Her wing muscle stores should be enough for a handful of first gen workers. If you're still paranoid feeding her a small drop of hone once she lays eggs is a good option, it kind of energises the queen so she should be doing better

• Chickalo likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users