• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How to ID our own

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ooper - Posted June 11 2015 - 7:10 PM

ooper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Just wondering the process you ant ID folks go through to help us ID our ants. Are there sites you use to compare photos? Can you provide a list of steps you go through when you receive an ant ID request here?

Thanks!

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 11 2015 - 7:24 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Identification of ants is based on a thorough understanding of ant anatomy, including an abundance of technical terms.

There are written and visual descriptions, or keys, that guide one to properly identifying species of ants based on the inclusion or exclusion of one or more anatomical features, most of which may only be visible with high magnification.

• James C. Trager likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline ooper - Posted June 11 2015 - 8:42 PM

ooper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

So where would one find the written and visual descriptions. Is it just a simple matter of Googling, or can you provide some sites that are used frequently?

#4 Offline Subverted - Posted June 11 2015 - 9:33 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Try here, I think that will help you out.

• jeffpbalderston likes this

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#5 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 11 2015 - 9:35 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Taxonomy is not my area of interest. Drew and others may be able to point you to some keys they use.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#6 Offline James C. Trager - Posted June 12 2015 - 5:22 AM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Useful links, for ID and more:
http://www.formicult...of-handy-links/

• dspdrew and Crystals like this

#7 Offline Crystals - Posted June 12 2015 - 6:23 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

For IDs, I first look at location.  I often use antweb.org (they have great pictures from face, sides and top).  This can help you narrow down the species.

Or use an ID guide for your location.

It is also a matter of familiarity.

That being said, I am not very good with IDs, especially for species that are not in my location.  :D

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#8 Offline WeatherAnt - Posted June 12 2015 - 10:16 AM

WeatherAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationWashington State

I don't know where in the world you live, but for me in the USA I find this book helpful for at least narrowing down to the genus: 

http://www.amazon.co...a/dp/0520254228

Once I got the genus down, I will search online for ants of that genus in my local area. 

If that fails to produce any results, I'll post an ID thread for more ideas and answers. 

#9 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 12 2015 - 10:20 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

If you really want to ID ants on your own, you're going to need a zoom microscope. Without a microscope, you're doing a lot of guessing.

#10 Offline Trailandstreet - Posted June 18 2015 - 3:03 AM

Trailandstreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

If you have such a key, you can use it. But this only works for euroean ants. But the procedure is nearly the same.

If you have a little bit more experience, you will find at least the generic group immediately.

:hi: Franz

if you find any mistakes, it's my autocorrection. it doesn't speak english.

#11 Offline PTAntFan - Posted June 30 2015 - 9:40 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

If you really want to ID ants on your own, you're going to need a zoom microscope. Without a microscope, you're doing a lot of guessing.

I've seen a picture of your setup but not which scope and other tools you have.  Have you posted here about that? Please share a link.  Thanks!

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#12 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 1 2015 - 8:34 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

http://www.formicult...zoom-microscope

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users