• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Trying to buy Linepithema Humile queens

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Offline KadinB - Posted June 5 2021 - 5:18 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

aren't they compared to fire ants?

The USDA has given up on Linepithema Humile. With fire ants they have quarantine zones for them and are still trying to get rid of them as they are more of a threat to agriculture and much more.
that's terrible. They shouldn't have given up on the argentines. If we don't do anything, most over ants will be either extremely rare or extinct within the next few decades.
I agree with you I really wish they didn’t stop but because they stopped I would say it’s to late at this point because they stopped trying to fight them. They could try to fight them again but there are so many and would take decades to just make there numbers go down a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#22 Offline KadinB - Posted June 5 2021 - 5:20 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts

The USDA has given up on Linepithema Humile. With fire ants they have quarantine zones for them and are still trying to get rid of them as they are more of a threat to agriculture and much more.
that's terrible. They shouldn't have given up on the argentines. If we don't do anything, most over ants will be either extremely rare or extinct within the next few decades.
I agree, but there’s almost no way they can kill them. Invicta are more of a threat though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Plus they can still kill them and they are like a fire. They are containing them slowly and there expanding out slowly more and more.

#23 Offline Broncos - Posted June 5 2021 - 5:22 PM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California

I agree, but there’s almost no way they can kill them. Invicta are more of a threat though.

Plus they can still kill them and they are like a fire. They are containing them slowly and there expanding out slowly more and more.

I hope you’re right.

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#24 Offline KadinB - Posted June 5 2021 - 5:22 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts

I'm going to respectfully disagree with the invicta stetement. At least where I live, argentine ants are all over. I can't find other ants unless i drive like 40 minutes towards the desert or a remote hiking spot. I don't see many invicta. But it could be a different story where you live.

Where we live there are none. There in like almost all the way down so cal and are kinda being contained. The usda told me they spend millions of dollars trying to kill them every year. Which is a stupid amount of money they are spending just to kill some ants.

#25 Offline Broncos - Posted June 5 2021 - 5:24 PM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California

I'm going to respectfully disagree with the invicta stetement. At least where I live, argentine ants are all over. I can't find other ants unless i drive like 40 minutes towards the desert or a remote hiking spot. I don't see many invicta. But it could be a different story where you live.

Where we live there are none. There in like almost all the way down so cal and are kinda being contained. The usda told me they spend millions of dollars trying to kill them every year. Which is a stupid amount of money they are spending just to kill some ants.

I wish they used it better. I think it would have been worth it if they made progress.

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#26 Offline KadinB - Posted June 5 2021 - 5:25 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts
The usda came to my house and told me a ton of info on invicta. They came to my house a few months back because I got a invicta queen out of a quarantine zone. I didn’t know the laws for invicta at the time I only had a warning.

I wish they used it better. I think it would have been worth it if they made progress.

Yes I agree

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users