• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Myrmecocystus mexicanus Journal [124] (Updated 2-4-2024)

myrmecocystus dspdrew journal

• Please log in to reply
245 replies to this topic

#141 Offline Nexus - Posted July 28 2016 - 1:09 AM

Nexus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

This is definitely the coolest genus in the world.

#142 Offline SirAnticus - Posted October 16 2016 - 8:01 PM

SirAnticus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSoCal

do the repletes absolutely require hanging space

#143 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 16 2016 - 9:53 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

do the repletes absolutely require hanging space

Yes.

#144 Offline Leo - Posted October 17 2016 - 1:54 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

repletes are obese :D

#145 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 10 2016 - 8:19 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 12-10-2016

The colonies are almost all doing great for the most part.

The colony in the giant vase is the only one that's not doing all that great. They started off with quite a few workers, but now are down to only about twenty. The last colony I had in this thing slowly died off, and now it looks like this one might be doing the same. I really have no idea why either. I will say, lately I haven't seen many new dead ants in the out world, so I don't know... maybe it was just an initial die-off. I do suspect that a lot of the ants get so dehydrated before finally moving to a new nest, that they end up dying. I've seen quite a bit of evidence of this.

I recently added some plants to this setup. We'll see how long I can keep them alive.  :P  Also, the colony's mound is starting to get pretty rocky like they are in the wild.

med_gallery_2_43_578255.jpg

Chambers haven't really changed much.

med_gallery_2_43_166686.jpg

med_gallery_2_43_634.jpg

med_gallery_2_43_182090.jpg

Right now the queen is staying in the middle chamber, about half way down.

med_gallery_2_43_85301.jpg

The colony in the prototype resin Boxbox nest was starting to do really well until it ran out of water without me noticing, and half the colony dehydrated and died. They are now making a recovery, and already growing in size again pretty quickly; I counted about 75 workers. Almost every time I look at this queen she's laying another egg.

med_gallery_2_43_487619.jpg

med_gallery_2_43_135557.jpg

med_gallery_2_43_412199.jpg

med_gallery_2_43_238617.jpg

med_gallery_2_43_106527.jpg

The largest colony is still the one in the larger-sized "dirt box". I did a rough count of about 500 workers, 200 cocoons, 500 larvae, and a huge pile of freshly laid eggs. This colony is actually producing some full-sized workers now. I saw a few huge repletes with heads almost as big as the queen's. I'm going to have to move them into something larger very soon, but I'm afraid to because they're doing so well in what they're in now.

med_gallery_2_43_803602.jpg

med_gallery_2_43_1170837.jpg

med_gallery_2_43_898823.jpg

med_gallery_2_43_1175948.jpg

med_gallery_2_43_602969.jpg

Last but not least, are the two colonies in the small "dirt boxes". One of those I'm not including in this journal anymore because someone finally convinced me to sell it to them. Last I checked it had about 50 workers. The colony I still have is up to about 175 workers and will also probably need to be moved to something larger soon. I didn't get any pictures of it, but I did get some video. At the end of the video you can see my method of moving my ants around during feeding or cleaning.

• drtrmiller, Salmon and ryanp347 like this

#146 Offline gcsnelling - Posted December 10 2016 - 8:26 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Looking good.

#147 Offline FSTP - Posted December 10 2016 - 8:44 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Has to be my favorite Journal of yours...

Really nice colonies.

#148 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted December 10 2016 - 10:51 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado
Amazing

YJK

#149 Offline Miles - Posted December 10 2016 - 12:22 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

What have you been feeding these colonies? I'm trying to get my Myrmecocystus navajo back into significant brood production.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#150 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 10 2016 - 2:16 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Formula Blue 100, chicken, fish, crickets, spiders, termites, humingbird nectar, and Sunburst.

• Miles likes this

#151 Offline FSTP - Posted December 10 2016 - 3:46 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

When you say chicken and fish, is it cooked or raw?

#152 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 10 2016 - 4:17 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Cooked.

#153 Offline Leo - Posted December 10 2016 - 6:28 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

envious 101

#154 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 17 2017 - 9:30 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Here's a video of some of the Myrmecocystus mexicanus larvae. You can see how fast they like to crawl around.

• Martialis, Ants_Texas and charliebynar like this

#155 Offline NZAntKeeper - Posted February 17 2017 - 9:33 PM

NZAntKeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
They are more like worms than larvae lol
  • Martialis likes this

My Youtube Channel
https://m.youtube.co...R--GtDfJdaJjWpQ

Species I have kept or are keeping
-Nylanderia sp?
-Pheidole sp
-Pachycondyla Castanea (I didn't catch the queen sadly)
-Monomorium Antarcticum
-Iridomyrmex sp
-Ochetellus Glaber

-Amblyopone Australis

#156 Offline Superant33 - Posted February 19 2017 - 8:43 AM

Superant33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Drew, do you have any substrate or sand in your box box formicaria? Your colony looks like it is doing great in the Boxbox. I have a colony in a ytong THA formicarium and it is in a slow and steady decline. Without substrate, they are not forming pupae. It is very distressing to watch naked pupae get torn apart. I wish I would have sand coated my THA ant farm. The Box box and your colony are both impressive.

#157 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 19 2017 - 9:54 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Drew, do you have any substrate or sand in your box box formicaria? Your colony looks like it is doing great in the Boxbox. I have a colony in a ytong THA formicarium and it is in a slow and steady decline. Without substrate, they are not forming pupae. It is very distressing to watch naked pupae get torn apart. I wish I would have sand coated my THA ant farm. The Box box and your colony are both impressive.

No there is no sand in that formicarium, but it was cast with a sand-like texture. Is it an M. mexicanus you have?

#158 Offline Superant33 - Posted February 19 2017 - 12:05 PM

Superant33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I have M. mimicus. Two are going strong. I have the previously mentioned one that is in a steady decline. And one that is recovering from being flooded by their stupid owner. Good job with the M. mexicanus. I have never seen that species. And I heard they were difficult to rear.

#159 Offline Goldsystem - Posted February 22 2017 - 2:25 PM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas
I didn't know that ant larvae could even move around like that :D
  • Martialis likes this

#160 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 9 2017 - 1:34 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 3-9-2017

The colony in the large "dirt box" is getting so large, that they are starting to need constant feeding. I normally go at least a week in between feeding my ants, but the last time I did that, I killed a large portion of this colony. They were up to well over 500 workers, but now have lost what looks like about 100 or so. I noticed the other day that all the repletes were gone, and the ants were streaming up the sides of the out world. When ants do this, it usually means they are in desperate need of something. What happened is their two feeders ran out. I never realized they were eating so much, that without those feeders they would begin starving to death waiting a week for food.

This colony is also starting to destroy the setup they are in. They dug so much dirt away, that it's almost just nothing but two panes of plastic now. The deadbeat colony in the giant vase setup finally lost their queen the other day, so I decided to move the large "dirt box" colony into it.

I quickly designed a little table-like stand and printed it out. I set the "dirt box" on it and coated the sides in Fluon. Since I can't get the ants out of these giant vase setups immediately, I just let the large colony decide what to do with them. There were probably about 15 workers left in the old colony.

When I got home from work, the nest in the vase was completely raided by the large colony. There were tons of workers in every chamber, working away customizing them and dragging rocks out.

I set the entire thing in a Fluon-coated tub just in case they found a way out while temporarily setup this way.

med_gallery_2_43_44360.jpg

med_gallery_2_43_805159.jpg

Like always, I gave them a little wooden ramp.

med_gallery_2_43_259526.jpg

med_gallery_2_43_881692.jpg

• charliebynar, UtahAnts and ryanp347 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: myrmecocystus, dspdrew, journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users