• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen ant ID?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 19 2021 - 4:09 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Lasius interjectus.

• VoidElecent likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#22 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 19 2021 - 4:22 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Yeah that's 100% interjectus. She probably just flew. Get her some lasius callows.
  • VoidElecent likes this

#23 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted May 19 2021 - 5:34 PM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland

i'll try,how long will she last without them i fed her some sugar water btw

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#24 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted May 20 2021 - 3:11 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

i'll try,how long will she last without them i fed her some sugar water btw

I know someone with L. aphidicola who had them without hosts for months after feeding them.

#25 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 20 2021 - 3:59 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Huh, yeah, that's L. interjectus alright. I guess the lighting and the noise of the image made me think it was L. aphidicola.

• Manitobant and KitsAntVa like this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#26 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted May 20 2021 - 5:47 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland

yea I found another like a month ago under a rock and she has been in need of hosts for a while. i'm thinking about getting some claviger callows and using them instead of neo niger.

Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#27 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 20 2021 - 6:41 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

yea I found another like a month ago under a rock and she has been in need of hosts for a while. i'm thinking about getting some claviger callows and using them instead of neo niger.

Yeah, I actually don't think they even use L. neoniger.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#28 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted May 20 2021 - 8:00 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Oh great

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users