• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Which ants, if orphaned, accept a new queen?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted May 13 2021 - 4:47 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

I know Myrmecocystus mexicanus workers will readily accept new queens when they are orphaned.

I just lost the queen of a growing, apparently healthy Novomessor colony (grrrrr) and was just told orphaned Novomessors may just simply kill new queens.

I've seen a Camponotus vicinus queen welcome what MIGHT have been someone else's long-lost worker. (OTOH could've been hers. Not sure.)

I heard of Tetramorium boosted brood turning on their foster queen, so that clearly would not be a good ant to try this with.

Just wondering what ants do / don't adopt queens when they get orphaned, from what you've seen/heard.

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, May 13 2021 - 4:51 PM.

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#2 Offline ZTYguy - Posted May 13 2021 - 4:51 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Well, in my opinion most polygonous ants will accept new queens but if you want to introduce new workers you can keep a queen in a test tube sealed off by mesh and I believe after a while they will get used to the queen and accept her. Sorry in advance if any info is wrong.

• Barristan likes this
Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#3 Offline PetsNotPests - Posted May 13 2021 - 4:53 PM

PetsNotPests

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • LocationSouthern LA County, California

So far, the only other species that will take queens are Linepithema humillie, and some Pheidole. I'm not sure about Novo's though. Sorry about that. Good luck!

Ants are Pets, not Pests. 

-Camponotus sansabeanus

-Camponotus US-CA02

-Camponotus vicinus

-Formica podzolica

-Monomorium spp.

-Pogonomyrmex californicus

-Solenopsis spp. 

#4 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 13 2021 - 4:57 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I'm sure any species will if you use vinegar.

#5 Offline ReignofRage - Posted May 13 2021 - 5:41 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • LocationCalif.

I'm sure any species will if you use vinegar.

This lasts for very short periods of time, it temporary washes off the cuticularhydrocarbons; but the ant will continue to produce it's CHCs and the colony will react to them.

#6 Offline Abdul - Posted May 14 2021 - 10:51 PM

Abdul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Try freezer. I use this trick for technomyrmex, nylanderia, solenopsis and camponotus (New/young colony under 5-30 workers). So far, it only failed me one time on my techomyrmex.

#7 Offline steelplant - Posted May 15 2021 - 12:18 AM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Try freezer. I use this trick for technomyrmex, nylanderia, solenopsis and camponotus (New/young colony under 5-30 workers). So far, it only failed me one time on my techomyrmex.

Do you mean fridge rather than freezer? Don't put insects in the freezer unless you want to kill them.
  • Swirlysnowflake and NPLT like this

#8 Offline Queen - Posted May 15 2021 - 9:49 PM

Queen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSan Gabriel Valley

I know Myrmecocystus mexicanus workers will readily accept new queens when they are orphaned.

I just lost the queen of a growing, apparently healthy Novomessor colony (grrrrr) and was just told orphaned Novomessors may just simply kill new queens.

I've seen a Camponotus vicinus queen welcome what MIGHT have been someone else's long-lost worker. (OTOH could've been hers. Not sure.)

I heard of Tetramorium boosted brood turning on their foster queen, so that clearly would not be a good ant to try this with.

Just wondering what ants do / don't adopt queens when they get orphaned, from what you've seen/heard.

I didn't know that M mexicanus accepts new queens when the previous one dies. Pretty cool.

#9 Offline Queen - Posted May 15 2021 - 11:32 PM

Queen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSan Gabriel Valley

I didn't know that M mexicanus accepts new queens when the previous one dies. Pretty cool.

Forgot to add. I had a V. andrei queen that died, and I introduced the old workers to a new queen slowly (couple a day for a week). I want to say about half made it and the other half were killed. Don't know if you want to call that success, though.

• OhNoNotAgain likes this

#10 Offline Chickalo - Posted May 16 2021 - 4:17 PM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

Well, in my opinion most polygonous ants will accept new queens but if you want to introduce new workers you can keep a queen in a test tube sealed off by mesh and I believe after a while they will get used to the queen and accept her. Sorry in advance if any info is wrong.

Do you think this will work with two colonies?

シグナチャーです。예.

#11 Offline ZTYguy - Posted May 16 2021 - 4:58 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

If they are polygonous species then probably. Like my Acromyrmex have no problem taking in new workers

• OhNoNotAgain likes this
Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#12 Offline smares - Posted May 17 2021 - 12:24 AM

smares

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLakewood, Colorado
Is it really true that boosted tetramorium will turn against the queen that's not there mom? I'd love to know more about this.

#13 Offline Chickalo - Posted May 17 2021 - 1:59 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

If they are polygonous species then probably. Like my Acromyrmex have no problem taking in new workers

Might try this with Myrmica rubra

シグナチャーです。예.

#14 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted May 17 2021 - 3:15 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Might try this with Myrmica rubra

I never knew they had spread to some parts of the US  :o

• ZTYguy and Chickalo like this

#15 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted May 17 2021 - 4:59 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

Most Pheidole do this. I've personally seen this in Pheidole dentata.

We don’t talk about that

#16 Offline gs5248 - Posted May 17 2021 - 7:53 AM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

That is good to know, I think my Pheidole Californica single queen colony has reached it's peak, so I would like to add another queen to boost population and production.

#17 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted May 17 2021 - 7:59 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

That is good to know, I think my Pheidole Californica single queen colony has reached it's peak, so I would like to add another queen to boost population and production.

I think you misunderstood. The meaning of this post is a colony`s queen died and we are discussing which species except a new queen. Edit: It wouldn't hurt to try to put in a new queen if you have more.

Edited by KitsAntVa, May 17 2021 - 7:59 AM.

We don’t talk about that

#18 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted May 17 2021 - 8:35 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

How large are they? It's probably more about temperature and food intake rather than the queen's limit depending on how big they are.

Edited by Kaelwizard, May 17 2021 - 8:36 AM.

#19 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted May 18 2021 - 9:36 AM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Is it really true that boosted tetramorium will turn against the queen that's not there mom? I'd love to know more about this.

Long story short, but someone was selling me an ant colony and he said it was (different ant genera/species), but in retrospect it was Tetramorium (not that he realized this).

Anyway he said he had brood boosted the queen. The day I met him to buy the colony, he said that the queen was now missing legs because the boosted workers had abruptly turned on the queen! The workers thereafter seemed to calm down, but heck would you trust them after such a thing happened?

I didn't buy that colony (thank goodness), though I did buy his second smaller colony for way too much money for what turned out to be Tetramorium.

(Anyway I was a newb to modern ant-keeping then, which is why I didn't realize what those ants were, though I was puzzled because the workers didn't look like (stated genera/species). And that Tetra colony did get traded later so it kinda worked out.)

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, May 18 2021 - 9:53 AM.

• smares likes this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users