• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTS_KLs Oecophylla smaragdina ( weaver ant ) journal [DISCONTINUED]

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#41 Offline SYUTEO - Posted June 1 2021 - 1:57 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Ya I guess so. The first major should be eclosing soon tho!

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk

Wow, they're growing so fast! I should also mention that they will start producing smaller workers soon (I guess they are called minima workers) don't be surprised that they produce more majors than minors or minima workers, this is normal for this species.

• Antkeeper01, ashley1505 and Bugging3out like this

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#42 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted June 1 2021 - 3:22 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Ya I guess so. The first major should be eclosing soon tho!

Wow, they're growing so fast! I should also mention that they will start producing smaller workers soon (I guess they are called minima workers) don't be surprised that they produce more majors than minors or minima workers, this is normal for this species.
Yep! Minors eclose 1 month after the first major.

Edited by ANTS_KL, June 1 2021 - 3:23 AM.

• Bugging3out likes this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#43 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted June 3 2021 - 4:53 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Weavers killing mealworm and pics of the colony.

IMG20210603205139
IMG20210603205145

• Kaelwizard, DDD101DDD, Miketheawesome and 2 others like this

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#44 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 3 2021 - 4:56 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I remember these being my favorite ants when I was little. 

• Antkeeper01, ANTS_KL and Bugging3out like this

#45 Offline SYUTEO - Posted June 3 2021 - 5:10 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Yesterday I caught one too! I found her on a small tree in my garden and she already has eggs. Currently, she is in a small plastic box with some wet tissue papers and the original leaves she came in, any tips for raising her? I've had many failed attempts in the past.

• Antkeeper01, ANTS_KL and Bugging3out like this

#46 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted June 3 2021 - 5:12 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Yesterday I caught one too! I found her on a small tree in my garden and she already has eggs. Currently, she is in a small plastic box with some wet tissue papers and the original leaves she came in, any tips for raising her? I've had many failed attempts in the past.

I'll post a small bit of tips tmrw. Oh and btw eggs hatch in 4 days. Larvae take around a week to pupate. Pupa take 24 days to eclose. Pretty fast

Edited by ANTS_KL, June 3 2021 - 5:14 AM.

• SYUTEO and Bugging3out like this

#47 Offline SYUTEO - Posted June 3 2021 - 5:18 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I'll post a small bit of tips tmrw. Oh and btw eggs hatch in 4 days. Larvae take around a week to pupate. Pupa take 24 days to eclose. Pretty fast

Ok, thanks!

• Bugging3out likes this

#48 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted June 3 2021 - 6:07 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Ok here are some tips to raise a weaver ant queen through founding. So you want a clean container with wet paper towels at the bottom. Make sure to add air holes! After done setting up, just add the queen in and that's all you will need actually. Pics provided on the finished setup. This is byfar the most successful method for me. Hope this helps!

IMG20210604100004
IMG20210604100007
IMG20210604100009
After around 5 workers eclosed, open the lid and move them into a naturalistic setup. It is okay if you damage the silken tent as in the wild the silk tents are broken anyway. After opening the lid, place the container in the setup. They will move out eventually. Alternatively, you could use the setup that Indonesians use to breed them as food. Essentially a plastic bottle (or a few) suspended from a stick.

That's all I have to provide.

Btw update, major coming real soon! Can't wait!!!

Edited by ANTS_KL, June 3 2021 - 6:07 PM.

• Antkeeper01, TacticalHandleGaming, SYUTEO and 2 others like this

#49 Offline SYUTEO - Posted June 3 2021 - 6:56 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Thanks!

• ANTS_KL and Bugging3out like this

#50 Offline ashley1505 - Posted June 26 2021 - 8:16 PM

ashley1505

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi Ants KL, I found your post about keeping weaver brood so it's very helpful! How are they doing so far?
  • Bugging3out likes this

#51 Offline ashley1505 - Posted June 26 2021 - 8:56 PM

ashley1505

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Can I know how frequently you added water in the plastic container? Did u provide sugar water or live insects to queen during founding stage?
Can I know how frequently you added water in the plastic container? Did u provide sugar water or live insects to queen during founding stage?
  • Bugging3out likes this

#52 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted June 26 2021 - 10:10 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I did not provide any sustenance to the queen. Before she founded I placed a drop of honey on the wall of the container. She happily drank it up. Throughout the founding stage I added water only twice after she was placed in. When I saw she started weaving, I halted the addition of water. Hope I could help!

• Bugging3out likes this

#53 Offline ashley1505 - Posted June 27 2021 - 11:58 PM

ashley1505

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
I took a peek at the queen today and she's kind of still walking all over the container, no eggs sighted. Any idea why? She's kept in a dark place. How long before she will settle down n lay eggs? Her wings were already gone when we found her.
  • Bugging3out likes this

#54 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted June 28 2021 - 2:57 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I took a peek at the queen today and she's kind of still walking all over the container, no eggs sighted. Any idea why? She's kept in a dark place. How long before she will settle down n lay eggs? Her wings were already gone when we found her.

There's what's wrong. They can't found in the dark from my experience. You can shine them under bright lights and leave them in the light and they won't care. They typically found under leaves therefore being totally used to light.

• Bugging3out likes this

#55 Offline ashley1505 - Posted June 28 2021 - 5:43 AM

ashley1505

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Oic ok, where did you place yours? In a quiet place? Should I place her near my plants though the West sun will be pretty hot

Edited by ashley1505, June 28 2021 - 5:44 AM.

• Bugging3out likes this

#56 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted June 28 2021 - 10:55 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Oic ok, where did you place yours? In a quiet place? Should I place her near my plants though the West sun will be pretty hot

I just put her on my desk so I could watch her while doing my homework. Honestly she wouldn't care no matter how much you observe her.

• Bugging3out likes this

#57 Offline ashley1505 - Posted June 29 2021 - 1:01 AM

ashley1505

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
The ant shop and museum folks here tell us that queens r super sensitive at this stage so best to leave them alone n in the dark, just check every 4 to 5 days max so we were cautious. But this may not apply to weavers completely I guess.. Our current queen was pretty restless in the day and looked like she's trying to find a way out so I placed some rolled leaves in and she went inside immediately, hopefully she feels more settled now and start laying eggs. She seems to freeze when we look at her, feels like she's looking right back.. Lol..think we have done what we can to let her feel comfy... fingers crossed from now.

Attached Images

• 16249572153592708195353512696589.jpg

• Bugging3out likes this

#58 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted June 29 2021 - 2:58 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

The ant shop and museum folks here tell us that queens r super sensitive at this stage so best to leave them alone n in the dark, just check every 4 to 5 days max so we were cautious. But this may not apply to weavers completely I guess.. Our current queen was pretty restless in the day and looked like she's trying to find a way out so I placed some rolled leaves in and she went inside immediately, hopefully she feels more settled now and start laying eggs. She seems to freeze when we look at her, feels like she's looking right back.. Lol..think we have done what we can to let her feel comfy... fingers crossed from now.

She does look at you. She thinks you are a predator. But that's normal. Perfect setup. Just leave her where she is and don't cover her.

• Bugging3out likes this

#59 Offline ashley1505 - Posted July 1 2021 - 5:35 PM

ashley1505

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
I took a peek at her today, she doesn't seem to have laid any eggs in the leaf. Sad
  • ANTS_KL and Bugging3out like this

#60 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 1 2021 - 5:45 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I took a peek at her today, she doesn't seem to have laid any eggs in the leaf. Sad

It's ok it will take a while for her to get settled
Also try adding some wet tissue papers to the bottom. Like cover the whole bottom. That will give her humidity which may be the reason she isn't laying

Edited by ANTS_KL, July 1 2021 - 5:47 PM.

• ZTYguy and Bugging3out like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users