• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

S. molesta colony on the brink of death.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted May 4 2021 - 12:23 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ
I have this S. Molesta colony that used to have several queens but now they only have one. I'm afraid the last one will die and that'll be the end of my colony. I was thinking about it when I came to this question: will a S. molesta colony eccept a queen that was not orriginally from its colony? Because if they do it may just save my colony from death for a while...

Edited by azzaaazzzz00, May 4 2021 - 12:27 PM.

• The_Gaming-gate likes this
Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#2 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted May 5 2021 - 4:53 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I have this S. Molesta colony that used to have several queens but now they only have one. I'm afraid the last one will die and that'll be the end of my colony. I was thinking about it when I came to this question: will a S. molesta colony eccept a queen that was not orriginally from its colony? Because if they do it may just save my colony from death for a while...

Well before you start taking wild queens and adding them to your colony, you should probably find the cause of death. We need more information, however.

• Chickalo likes this

#3 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted May 5 2021 - 10:46 AM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Well...I don't really know what's killing them. I moved them because maybe it was something in their outworld or something. But that didn't work so now I don't know what to do. I feed them 2-3 times a week, mostly fruit flies (store bought ones and wild ones that have been frozen and boild).

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#4 Offline ZTYguy - Posted May 5 2021 - 11:02 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Maybe you are under feeding them and they are resorting to cannibalism.

• azzaaazzzz00 likes this
Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#5 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted May 5 2021 - 1:18 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Ok, I'll try to feed them more often, thanks!

#6 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted May 5 2021 - 1:37 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I assume they get plenty of sugar? If not they need that NOW.

• ZTYguy likes this

#7 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted May 5 2021 - 2:15 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

I have been putting in sugar water...or do I need to use something else?

#8 Offline ReignofRage - Posted May 5 2021 - 2:24 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationCalif.

I have been putting in sugar water...or do I need to use something else?

Sugar water works, what I found is offering a few different types of sugar sources can be of benefit. Sugar water, honey, and some syrup should work well. May I ask how many fruit flies you are feeding per time and how large is your colony? Feeding other protein sources may benefit them as well.

#9 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted May 5 2021 - 3:36 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

I usually go for 1-3, usually depending how much my ants are willing to take in (I have about at least 35 workers in the colony). And what other protein scorces can I feed my S. molesta colony?

#10 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 5 2021 - 4:36 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Please read this carefully: https://www.formicul...rs/#entry177954
  • Lillyrose and ReignofRage like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#11 Offline Daniel - Posted May 22 2021 - 9:14 AM

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationFort Mohave, Arizona
Just a thought, perhaps this is not a polygynous species and the workers are killing the other queens. As has been pointed out here before, Solenopsis molesta complex spp. can be polygynous in some parts of their range, while not in others. And being certain of which species you have can be very difficult in this group. So it may be that you had a monogynous colony displaying pleometrosis during the early stages of the colony's life, and the remaining queen will be just fine. It's possible that additional queens now will just be killed and adding new queens will only stress the colony.

I observed this with a Solenopsis cf. molesta colony that I have. The colony was founded with 5 queens, then over the course of about 6-7 months, all but one queen were killed off. The remaining queen has been going strong for a couple of years now.

Daniel
  • Mettcollsuss and Canadant like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users