• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Myrmica sp. colony struggling

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Am3ricanBanana - Posted April 29 2021 - 10:11 AM

Am3ricanBanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California

Hey everyone, it's been a while.

So the issue I have right now started around the end of February when I took all of my colonies out of hibernation. I had my Camponotus, Formica, and Myrmica species in my fridge at around 35 degrees from November to February. When I took everyone out, the Camponotus and Formica started laying eggs within a couple weeks. However, the Myrmica queen has still been refusing to produce eggs. The colony had a couple workers and almost no brood before they went into hibernation. Has anyone experienced this stubbornness before or have any ideas on what to change.

Thanks!

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted April 29 2021 - 10:13 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Have you heated them or given then protein? That usually helps.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#3 Offline steelplant - Posted April 29 2021 - 12:28 PM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
One of my Myrmica queens sometimes refuses to eat anything but flies if that helps.

#4 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted April 29 2021 - 1:11 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

My problem is that I don't even know what ants my colony is made up of, I don't have a picture but I can explain the details: So, their golden in color, small (about the size of 1/20-1/30 of a penny), they also seem to tolerate more than one queen. I was thinking the were S. Molesta ants but I really don't know

Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#5 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted April 29 2021 - 1:57 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

My problem is that I don't even know what ants my colony is made up of, I don't have a picture but I can explain the details: So, their golden in color, small (about the size of 1/20-1/30 of a penny), they also seem to tolerate more than one queen. I was thinking the were S. Molesta ants but I really don't know

Why would you use someone else's thread for this. The way you describe them makes me believe they are some thief and Solenopsis like molesta. Please make your own ID thread and don't use someone else's for you questions, especially since it has nothing to do with the OP's thread.

To the OP, have you been feeding her? Myrmica are semi-claustral so she will not lay without protein.

#6 Offline Am3ricanBanana - Posted May 1 2021 - 2:30 PM

Am3ricanBanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California

I have been heating and feeding her sliced mealworms but it is hard to tell if they are eating it. I might try some fruit flies so the workers can grab them easier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users