• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

THG's first Lasius neoniger colony

109 replies to this topic

#21 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted May 25 2021 - 7:37 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Made a little video for some of the workers collecting fruit flies today. They sure seem to love them. They've also drank an unbelievable amount of sunburst too!

Youtube video

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2021-05-25 10.56.14 AM.png

Stupid GoGuardian  :facepalm:

Anyways, glad to see your colony doing well!  Will be checking on the journal for updates!

Dude got wrecked by goguardian teacher lol

• TacticalHandleGaming likes this

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#22 Online TacticalHandleGaming - Posted May 29 2021 - 5:39 PM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationOregon

Started feeding the Lasius neonigers some of the bigger flightless fruit flies. They are still growing very quickly, and there's almost always 3 - 5 workers foraging in the out world now.

Slightly blurry picture, but you can see that they are stashing a lot of the brood where the plug is by the water tower. They are also doing a fantastic job of bringing their garbage up to the out world for me to remove.

med_gallery_5988_2003_14795.jpg

• AntBoi3030 and m99 like this

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus semirufus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole californica, Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel. 

#23 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted May 29 2021 - 7:30 PM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland

looks like a healthy colony! there is going to be a big boom in population soon :D

Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#24 Online TacticalHandleGaming - Posted June 4 2021 - 7:25 PM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationOregon

Remember how everyone says Lasius neonigers can grow fast? They are right. This is the brood pile after I just gave them some fruit flies. (These pictures aren't even all of the brood, just most of it.)

med_gallery_5988_2003_890831.jpg

med_gallery_5988_2003_593064.jpg

• AntBoi3030 and m99 like this

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi.

Previously kept species

Looking for

Pheidole californica, Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel. 

#25 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted June 5 2021 - 8:52 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
Quite the amount of brood.

#26 Online TacticalHandleGaming - Posted June 21 2021 - 1:26 PM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationOregon

This colony continues to grow, with seemingly no signs of stopping. Really glad I opted for putting them in a XL Mini hearth.

med_gallery_5988_2003_239997.jpg

• Antkeeper01, AntBoi3030 and PetsNotPests like this

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

My youtube channel. 

#27 Online TacticalHandleGaming - Posted June 30 2021 - 7:11 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationOregon

Snapped a photo last night to try and get a good idea on population. After talking with some people in the Tarheel group, I think I'm going to order them a Casita soon. Since I know it'll take about a month to arrive, I feel like the timing will be about perfect. My guess is they are somewhere around the 200 worker mark. It's kinda hard to tell with how fast they move around. 

med_gallery_5988_2003_1685521.jpg

• DDD101DDD, Antkeeper01, AntBoi3030 and 1 other like this

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

My youtube channel. 

#28 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted June 30 2021 - 7:25 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
You can also try a buckeye myrmecology meduim rock nest check it out it cost 45$ And has free shipping https://buckeyemyrme...ck-nest-medium/

Edited by AntBoi3030, June 30 2021 - 7:26 AM.

• Antkeeper01 and TacticalHandleGaming like this

#29 Online TacticalHandleGaming - Posted June 30 2021 - 7:30 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationOregon

You can also try a buckeye myrmecology meduim rock nest check it out it cost 45$ And has free shipping https://buckeyemyrme...ck-nest-medium/

Not really a fan of acrylic nests, and I prefer THA's all in one design. I don't mind the price point, since the quality is so nice. 

• Antkeeper01, OiledOlives and AntBoi3030 like this

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

My youtube channel. 

#30 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted June 30 2021 - 7:30 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
Alright

#31 Online TacticalHandleGaming - Posted July 14 2021 - 7:18 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationOregon

Not the greatest photo, but I checked closer on this colony last night. They seem to be growing still, although we don't have a ton of pupae at the moment. There's a bunch of larvae and eggs. So I think they must have had a batch of workers enclose recently. 

med_gallery_5988_2003_1496089.jpg

• Antkeeper01, AntBoi3030 and futurebird like this

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

My youtube channel. 

#32 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted July 14 2021 - 7:29 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
I caught some what I think are lasius americanus queens last night (blacklight) so I’m exited to see how they do!

#33 Online TacticalHandleGaming - Posted July 23 2021 - 8:25 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationOregon

Seems like the colony is slowing down a touch. I think they'll be okay a while longer in their XL mini hearth. 

med_gallery_5988_2003_449988.jpg

• TestSubjectOne, Antkeeper01 and AntBoi3030 like this

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

My youtube channel. 

#34 Online TacticalHandleGaming - Posted August 3 2021 - 7:25 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationOregon

This colony is still growing, but the rate of growth has reduced. Not sure why. But there's a rather large pile of eggs and new larvae. They don't quite seem like they will outgrow the XL mini hearth as quickly as I thought. However I may order them something new soon to see if space is why they have slowed their growth. 

med_gallery_5988_2003_755872.jpgmed_gallery_5988_2003_242568.jpg

• Antkeeper01, AntBoi3030 and m99 like this

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

My youtube channel. 

#35 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted August 3 2021 - 3:25 PM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
The queen needed a break!

#36 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted August 3 2021 - 3:40 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

I would guess they're slowing down because we're approaching the end of the growth season. It's normal for colonies to slow down or even stop brood production before hibernation, and since brood can take a month or two to develop, ants often start to slow down well before winter hits. Formica, for example, take this pretty far and will often stop laying eggs halfway through the year.

• DDD101DDD and TacticalHandleGaming like this

#37 Online TacticalHandleGaming - Posted August 13 2021 - 6:56 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationOregon

This colony has slowed growth for sure. I imagine they'll be ready for diapause in October. In the meantime, I'm going to feed them very well so they have plenty of food in their social stomachs.  

med_gallery_5988_2003_255767.jpg

• mantisgal, AntBoi3030, eea and 1 other like this

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

My youtube channel. 

#38 Online TacticalHandleGaming - Posted August 18 2021 - 7:15 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationOregon

Well, I think maybe the colony slowed a bit due to a few 100+ degree days we had here. I had a hard time keeping the house cool and I think it affected them. 

med_gallery_5988_2003_268140.jpg

Edited by TacticalHandleGaming, August 18 2021 - 7:16 AM.

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

My youtube channel. 

#39 Online TacticalHandleGaming - Posted August 24 2021 - 4:36 PM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationOregon

Still got some brood, pupae, larvae, and eggs. Saw a few new workers too. The whole ceiling of the nest near the water tower is covered with workers.

med_gallery_5988_2003_381451.jpg

• AntBoi3030, PetsNotPests and m99 like this

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

My youtube channel. 

#40 Online TacticalHandleGaming - Posted September 2 2021 - 7:04 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationOregon

No major changes, a few new workers here and there. I think this colony is slowing down for diapause. I'll likely start prepping them for such the first week of October. 

med_gallery_5988_2003_2236274.jpg

• Antkeeper01 and m99 like this

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

My youtube channel. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users