• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

THG's first Lasius neoniger colony

109 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted April 20 2021 - 7:22 PM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationOregon

I managed to get a Lasius neoniger Queen with some workers from a buddy, and this will be my little journal of their growth journey. I received them today and they were all happy and had a nice brood pile going. Tomorrow they will be moving into a THA mini hearth for their first proper home.

Arrival day

• MrPurpleB, AntsDakota, AntBoi3030 and 2 others like this

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus semirufus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole californica, Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel. 

#2 Offline Lillyrose - Posted April 21 2021 - 5:31 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
I'm not sure how big the mini hearth is ... but you could keep them in the tube for a bit. Their numbers are so low.

They sure are neat :-)

Can't wait for your next update.
  • TacticalHandleGaming likes this

#3 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted April 21 2021 - 5:57 PM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationOregon

I'm not sure how big the mini hearth is ... but you could keep them in the tube for a bit. Their numbers are so low.

There's over 20 workers and have at least 8 more that should be emerging any day now. As well as a pretty decent pile of eggs and larvae. I'm hoping they'll do well. Only time will tell. They are currently chomping down on a small moth I caught and froze for them.

Edited by TacticalHandleGaming, April 21 2021 - 5:58 PM.

• Lillyrose likes this

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi.

Previously kept species

Looking for

Pheidole californica, Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel. 

#4 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted April 23 2021 - 7:09 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationOregon

There's over 20 workers and have at least 8 more that should be emerging any day now. As well as a pretty decent pile of eggs and larvae. I'm hoping they'll do well. Only time will tell. They are currently chomping down on a small moth I caught and froze for them.

Well, apparently the colony agrees with you. They've moved some of the brood back and forth between the test tube and the mini hearth a few times, but they seem to be doing it for the humidity. Just going to wait and see what they do, as I'd rather not dump them in.

So far they've consumed a very small cricket and a bunch of sunburst ant nectar. The Queen is happily laying more eggs, and I even saw a larva enclose this morning! 

• Lillyrose likes this

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

My youtube channel. 

#5 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted April 24 2021 - 12:51 PM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationOregon

Quick little update. The workers have now moved most of the enclosed brood to the mini hearth. The rest are chilling in the test tube with the Queen still. Here's a slightly crummy photo from my cheap microscope.

med_gallery_5988_2003_2462.jpg

Edited by TacticalHandleGaming, April 24 2021 - 12:52 PM.

• Canadant, Antkeeper01, mantisgal and 2 others like this

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

My youtube channel. 

#6 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted April 24 2021 - 1:02 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Looks like a healthy colony. Cool pictures, hope to see the colony grow more. 

Nice!

#7 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted April 26 2021 - 7:53 PM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationOregon

Made a little video for some of the workers collecting fruit flies today. They sure seem to love them. They've also drank an unbelievable amount of sunburst too!

Youtube video

• Antkeeper01, AntBoi3030, futurebird and 1 other like this

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

My youtube channel. 

#8 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted April 27 2021 - 8:14 PM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationOregon

Well, they moved into the mini hearth sometime last night. They have happily set up shop on the water tower.

med_gallery_5988_2003_1122816.jpg

• Antkeeper01, AntBoi3030 and m99 like this

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

My youtube channel. 

#9 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted May 7 2021 - 4:50 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationOregon

Update on the colony. The Queen seems like she is still laying like crazy, and I think we have several new workers.

med_gallery_5988_2003_835764.jpg

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

My youtube channel. 

#10 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted May 10 2021 - 6:38 PM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationOregon

Minor update. I counted at least 32 pupa, 5 larva, and two clusters of eggs that I can see currently. It's hard to tell as they like to stash eggs and larva in the hole next to the water tower. Also they are now way more active with removing trash from the nest area to the "outworld".

Another blurry photo, but you get the idea of how many eggs I can see. One of these days I'll clean the glass so I can take better photos.

med_gallery_5988_2003_1277896.jpg

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

My youtube channel. 

#11 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted May 16 2021 - 5:49 PM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationOregon

Managed to get a photo of the brood pile today, not the best... However look at all that brood! Holy molly has the Queen been laying this week!

med_gallery_5988_2003_856552.jpg

Might try and clean the glass next week. As it's pretty hard to take a photo of the water tower area.

• m99 likes this

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

My youtube channel. 

#12 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted May 21 2021 - 6:04 PM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationOregon

A bunch of new workers enclosed this week, not sure exactly how many. But I counted 4 translucent workers, and at least 4 more semi-translucent workers. Queen is still laying a ton of eggs, and they keep stashing them in the hole by the water tower. :lol:

med_gallery_5988_2003_220211.jpg

med_gallery_5988_2003_1880351.jpg

Edited by TacticalHandleGaming, May 21 2021 - 6:04 PM.

• m99 likes this

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

My youtube channel. 

#13 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted May 24 2021 - 9:42 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I've heard these colony's can explode in numbers check this out:  of course this is niger not neoniger but they are pretty much the same

• TacticalHandleGaming and AntsCali098 like this

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#14 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted May 24 2021 - 9:57 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationOregon

Allegedly from what I read before getting them, Neoniger colonies don't grow quite as large. Niger can reach 50k workers, where as Neoniger only gets up to 20k or so. I think they'll most likely outgrow the XL mini hearth in the next few months. I'm looking at maybe upgrading them to a Casita or Nucleus nest. It'll be based off their growth, and I expect the Casita should be enough of an upgrade... 

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

My youtube channel. 

#15 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted May 24 2021 - 10:07 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Maybe a fortress or a labyrinth mini

• Antkeeper01 and TacticalHandleGaming like this

Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#16 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted May 25 2021 - 5:33 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationOregon

Got a rough count of the workers, and we have somewhere in the number of 50-60 workers. (Hard to tell exactly. They huddle together and move quick.) There is 3 big clusters of eggs, and huge pile of larvae. Somewhere around 30+. There still is a handful of pupae that haven't enclosed yet. I'd expect the amount of workers will likely double in just a few weeks.

• AntBoi3030 likes this

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

My youtube channel. 

#17 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted May 25 2021 - 6:03 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Holy moly by this point they will out grow the mini hearth in a few months! what have you been feeding them to grow so much?

• Chickalo and TacticalHandleGaming like this

#18 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted May 25 2021 - 6:43 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationOregon

Holy moly by this point they will out grow the mini hearth in a few months! what have you been feeding them to grow so much?

Mostly flightless fruit flies and byformica ant nectar. The occasional small cricket here and there. They really like the fruit flies.

Edited by TacticalHandleGaming, May 25 2021 - 6:45 AM.

• Chickalo and AntBoi3030 like this

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

My youtube channel. 

#19 Offline Chickalo - Posted May 25 2021 - 6:58 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

Made a little video for some of the workers collecting fruit flies today. They sure seem to love them. They've also drank an unbelievable amount of sunburst too!

Youtube video

Screenshot 2021-05-25 10.56.14 AM.png

Stupid GoGuardian  :facepalm:

Anyways, glad to see your colony doing well!  Will be checking on the journal for updates!

シグナチャーです。예.

#20 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted May 25 2021 - 7:10 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationOregon

Wow, sorry about that. I changed the category to pets & animals. Hopefully that fixes that issue. 

I'll be sure to update you all when I do my normal water/cleaning routine on Friday. (I normally check on all my water towers/nestmates that day, and remove any trash from the colonies.) 

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

My youtube channel. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users