• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ants hunting morning vs night ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline manik - Posted April 10 2021 - 9:56 AM

manik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationNYC

hows everyone doing this beautiful Saturday? since is getting pretty nice here in New York City i was wondering,  what would be the best time to go ant hunting in this concrete jungle? as always thanks for the help!

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 10 2021 - 11:01 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Answer is: it depends on the species.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline manik - Posted April 10 2021 - 12:11 PM

manik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationNYC

oh anything to be honest, lets say around 6 in the morning is it a good time? 

#4 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted April 10 2021 - 12:57 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

oh anything to be honest, lets say around 6 in the morning is it a good time?

Well it’s like he said. It depends on the species. The afternoon and evening are generally the times that most species fly. At least in Michigan.

Edited by Kaelwizard, April 10 2021 - 12:57 PM.

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 10 2021 - 1:30 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

In the deserts and foothills here in Southern California, it's dawn and dusk--mostly dusk.

#6 Offline steelplant - Posted April 10 2021 - 3:05 PM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Some fly at night and gather around street lights. Always pack a tube as you can find them when you're least expecting it.

#7 Offline Mdrogun - Posted April 10 2021 - 3:20 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Alright, since we have no idea what spp. are in your area, I'm gonna give you as much info on this as I possibly can for you to be able to figure things out yourself :)

Generally speaking, it needs to be at least 68-70F for ants to consider flying. There are exceptions to this rule, but the vastttt majority of ants comply with it in a place like NYC especially.

Rain does trigger ant flights to some extent but it's not as important in a place like NYC as it is in the more arid climates. Many ants can and will fly days or weeks after the last rainfall. 

Here is some general info on spp. I expect to be quite common in your area:

Camponotus pennsylvanicus and the species similar to them will fly roughly at nightfall a little bit farther into the warm season. Probably early May or very late April is when you'll see the heaviest flights from them. They fly all year in tiny quantities, but 95%+ of the queens fly at that time. The Camponotus species in the subgenus Myrmentoma, seem to fly roughly 1 week give or take before their larger cousins. Although, with that in mind, I have caught them alongside the other Camponotus spp. 

Tetramorium immigrans is one of the most abundant ants in the urban and surbaban environment for the majority of the temperate United States. They will typically fly sometime between June and August, and will most abundantly fly in July. In the very extreme I have seen them fly in May and September but I would guess that's quite rare. They fly at the break of dawn. I watch for days where the temperature is going to be ~68F+ at dawn, and then check on the colonies outside at like 1-3am. They will begin posting up with alates and widening the nest entrance so you can tell when they're gonna fly in the morning at dawn. These guys will have many, many flight days throughout the season so if you miss a few, don't worry about it. One last thing to mention, it seems like randomly in some areas this species will fly in the late afternoon. It's always a much smaller flight than the ones at dawn, but it does happen :) .

That's probably enough to get you started. As you figure out what is in your area, you can start to figure out when they fly and be ready for them. Also, keep in mind, there will be spp. having nuptial flights in your area that you don't see out and about. They might be active when you're not, the colonies might be in areas you don't/can't visit, or they might be cryptic and very hard to notice. Typically speaking, while it is useful to know what you're hunting for, it's kind of a numbers game. Just try to spend as much time keeping an eye out for queens and eventually more and more will fall into your lap.

• ConcordAntman, Lillyrose and manik like this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#8 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted April 10 2021 - 3:53 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

In Malaysia the semi-claustral spp mostly fly at dawn and in the afternoon. Camponotus fly at dawn and dusk. And the majority of the fully-claustral spp as well as a handful of semi-claustral spp fly in the late night.

Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users