• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Common mistakes?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 Offline NPLT - Posted April 12 2021 - 7:31 AM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationPiaseczno, Poland

You don't need to keep any feeders alive, so chirping is a non-issue. Pop the box/ bag right in the freezer as soon as they get home. Thaw as needed.

Also, don't feed Formica during the founding stage, only after she has workers.

Wait I thought founding stage refered to any point in colony development while they are below ~10-20 workers, ok, so, aside from me using wrong terminology, what I meant is: "is 10 D.hydei every day or two enough for a small colony?". 

Um, uh, Ants!

link to journal: https://www.formicul...lt-ant-journal/

#22 Online ANTdrew - Posted April 12 2021 - 7:50 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
10 fruit flies is a good amount.
  • NPLT likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#23 Offline NPLT - Posted April 12 2021 - 8:18 AM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

10 fruit flies is a good amount.

Alright, thanks! Another question: I know all polish ants can be kept in house temperature, but will they enjoy higher temperatures? Also, how much will a 15 volt heating cable increase the temperature?

Um, uh, Ants!

#24 Online ANTdrew - Posted April 12 2021 - 8:34 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
15 watt cables increase the temperature about 20 degrees F higher than the surrounding area.
  • NPLT likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#25 Offline NPLT - Posted April 12 2021 - 9:01 AM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

15 watt cables increase the temperature about 20 degrees F higher than the surrounding area.

I'm bad at math, but I think I'll give up on the heating cable, since there's no 5 watt cable, and heating with a heating mat is a no go for the species I'll keep, and +6 Celcius I fear will heat the ants up too much...

Edited by NPLT, April 12 2021 - 9:47 AM.

Um, uh, Ants!

#26 Offline NPLT - Posted April 13 2021 - 8:46 AM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Cricket's are pretty annoying at night tbh.  Try telling your parents the pluses about dubias, like how they cannot climb smooth surfaces nor can they fly.  If they still say no, it's alright, since there's still plenty other kinds of feeders.  Also about the mealworms, the same thing is happening to me.  Someone told me they inbred too much, so I'll throw in another colony of them soon to widen the gene pool soon.  Maybe that'll work for you, too?

Dubias along with Crickets have been unfortunately unconditionally vetoed by my parents, ants will need to have a purely fruit fly diet, maybe I'll try to differentiate it by alternating between D.melanogaster and D.hydei, would that work?

Edit: Nevermind, mom just gave permission for crickets, yay!

Edited by NPLT, April 13 2021 - 10:20 AM.

• mantisgal likes this

Um, uh, Ants!

#27 Online ANTdrew - Posted April 13 2021 - 4:10 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Crickets and fruit flies would be a great diet. You could supplement with some wild insects if you find safe places to collect.
  • NPLT and mantisgal like this

#28 Offline NPLT - Posted April 13 2021 - 10:51 PM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Crickets and fruit flies would be a great diet. You could supplement with some wild insects if you find safe places to collect.

Well, flies of quite large sizes and other invertebrates get stuck between my window and mosquito net quite regularly ( read: whenever the temperature is high enough for insects to come out ), I guess that's as good a place as any. I also have some aphids in a garden plant but I doubt I could make use of that.

• mantisgal likes this

Um, uh, Ants!

#29 Offline mantisgal - Posted April 14 2021 - 10:34 AM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationGolden Horseshoe, Ontario
Aphids are soft, aren't they? Couldn't hurt to try.

#30 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted April 14 2021 - 10:50 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

They don’t eat aphids, they eat their excrement.
  • mantisgal likes this

#31 Offline mantisgal - Posted April 14 2021 - 11:12 AM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Sounds like a ladybird beetle keeping experiment is in store, then

#32 Offline NPLT - Posted April 14 2021 - 11:23 AM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Yeah but as Kael said ants don't eat aphids but farm them and I don't think there's a way to give the ants access to the plant without them escaping.

Um, uh, Ants!

#33 Offline mantisgal - Posted April 14 2021 - 12:27 PM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Huh. I thought for sure some ants ate the flesh of their "cows" - thank you for the clarification, as it has saved me trying to give my ants aphids without them living in a terrarium with live plants. How embarrassing!

#34 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted April 14 2021 - 12:29 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Huh. I thought for sure some ants ate the flesh of their "cows" - thank you for the clarification, as it has saved me trying to give my ants aphids without them living in a terrarium with live plants. How embarrassing!

If you have heard of “honeydew” that is the sugary excrement of aphids that some insects including ants eat.

Edited by Kaelwizard, April 14 2021 - 12:29 PM.

#35 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 14 2021 - 1:17 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Actually I believe some ants do eat their aphids to survive in the winter. I see no reason why an ant would not eat a crushed aphid, or one not producing anything.

• mantisgal likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#36 Offline steelplant - Posted April 14 2021 - 2:23 PM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
My Myrmica ate aphids when i gave her some last year, back before i could face killing the pet crickets. I just put the aphids in live.

Edited by steelplant, April 14 2021 - 2:24 PM.

• mantisgal likes this

#37 Offline mantisgal - Posted April 14 2021 - 3:37 PM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

If you have heard of “honeydew” that is the sugary excrement of aphids that some insects including ants eat.

I have spent many hours watching ants tend their herds on my late grandma's peonies

Actually I believe some ants do eat their aphids to survive in the winter. I see no reason why an ant would not eat a crushed aphid, or one not producing anything.

I figured they might, why waste the food? We eat chickens when they stop laying.

#38 Offline JoeByron - Posted April 17 2021 - 9:30 PM

JoeByron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, Tennessee

I think my biggest mistake was when I first started collecting ants, I got them confused with mice and kept killing them by squishing them into my little test tubes. 

Once I realized mice are not ants, things really took a turn for the better.

Edited by JoeByron, April 17 2021 - 9:31 PM.

• Croux likes this

#39 Online ANTdrew - Posted April 18 2021 - 11:33 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I think my biggest mistake was when I first started collecting ants, I got them confused with mice and kept killing them by squishing them into my little test tubes.

Enough with the spam.
  • Skwiggledork likes this

#40 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted April 18 2021 - 3:50 PM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

Enough with the spam.

I thought this was one of the forums that required 50 posts before you could post in the marketplace and thought he was doing that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users