• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Brood bosting

brood boosting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntTitan - Posted April 9 2021 - 3:44 PM

AntTitan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationKuna, Idaho, USA

What are all of your guy's opinions on brood boosting small colonies? Also can you brood boost a small colony with brood from a different colony of a different species even if you queen is not parasitic?

The colony i'm thinking of brood boosting is a small Crematogaster colony with a queen, four workers and some brood in a test tube setup. I caught her late last year and almost all her workers died (probably 4-5 in total) during hibernation, now with the new year she is getting back on her feet and is doing ok, like mentioned above she now has 4 workers and some brood, but i'm wondering if I should brood boost to take some of her stress away and to help the colony grow and get put in a formicarium. Thoughts?

#2 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted April 9 2021 - 5:15 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
There is no need to brood boost her. They know how much brood they can care for and they will cull workers/alates/brood as needed. Crematogaster grow really fast anyway.

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 9 2021 - 5:51 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yes, I’ve never felt the need to brood boost Crematogaster. Provide optimum temperatures and lots of protein, and they should grow like our national debt.
  • ZTYguy, UtahAnts and AntTitan like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline AntTitan - Posted April 10 2021 - 6:53 AM

AntTitan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationKuna, Idaho, USA

ok, good to know, thank you guys.

#5 Offline Canadant - Posted April 14 2021 - 5:10 AM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
I brood boosted my crematogaster colony. I had no issues.
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brood boosting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users