• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

has any one had luck brood boosting Pogonomyrmex subdentatus queens?

brood boosting pogo subdentatus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Vern530 - Posted November 1 2019 - 1:22 PM

Vern530

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationTexas

Today i found a colony that had been dug up due to some maintenance at a base ball field(where i recently caught 20 plus Pogonomyrmex subdentatus queens) and there was tons of pupae that were near ready to eclose and i took 15 or so and distributed to my queens>has any one tried this and does it matter if when brood boosting if you use eggs vs larvae vs pupae????any info or tips and hints on the subject would be helpful ...also if any one has had success with this species and what were the secrets cause so far this is my second attempt after complete failure of all the queens first go around earlier this summer.i had them all in test tubes then and now most all are in dirt set ups and seem to be doing OK but no eggs after a week and a half to two weeks.thanks for the input in advance 

#2 Offline AntTitan - Posted April 9 2021 - 5:06 PM

AntTitan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationKuna, Idaho, USA

I don't know a lot about brood boosting but I do know that if you can, try and brood boost with pupae or the older/bigger larve. That way it takes less work and less resources for you colony to use on the brood.

#3 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted April 9 2021 - 5:12 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Pupae is the only one I ever see used for brood boosting.

#4 Offline UtahAnts - Posted April 9 2021 - 5:25 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

Be careful about brood boosting founding queens, established colony's usually receive any pupae and larvae well, but I've had one to many queens fail because she could not successfully raise her own workers after brood boosting. My year old tetra colony for example is still at four workers when they should easily be in the hundreds, along with a stagnant pile of eggs that never grow, or get eaten before they can do so. The queen of this colony was the only one I boosted before nanitics, all 9 other colonies I raised normally last season have exploded in number and are all sold off by now. I use larvae and very new pupae for my colonies, but maybe you will find a better way. Be sure to update how it goes, or how it went as this thread was from November.

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

DIY Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Honeypot Ant Journal --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brood boosting, pogo subdentatus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users