• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Formica rufibarbis care

formica rufibarbis

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NPLT - Posted April 5 2021 - 3:46 AM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationPiaseczno, Poland

Hello, my garden is shared  between a huge colony of Lasius niger and a colony of Formica rufibarbis, I plan on catching a F.rufibarbis queen in June or buying it after the month because one of the ant stores in Poland will probably have one, and naturally I've been researching the topic and I think I got most of the necessary information, however I wanted to ask, about personal experiences raising this species or a cousin of theirs.

Um, uh, Ants!

link to journal: https://www.formicul...lt-ant-journal/

#2 Offline Barristan - Posted April 5 2021 - 5:56 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

They are not very hard to keep. Several types of nests are fine like dirt nest, ytong nest or plaster of paris nest. I kept mine in a small nest made out of plaster of paris:

IMG_5336.jpg

If you feed them enough insects the colony will grow quite fast.

• ANTdrew likes this

#3 Offline NPLT - Posted April 5 2021 - 1:24 PM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationPiaseczno, Poland

They are not very hard to keep. Several types of nests are fine like dirt nest, ytong nest or plaster of paris nest. I kept mine in a small nest made out of plaster of paris:

IMG_5336.jpg

If you feed them enough insects the colony will grow quite fast.

Thanks, I plan to keep them in a ytong nest ( currently searching for one standing upright because I heard these like to keep their eggs in drier, upper parts of the nest, and the queens in the moistier lower part of the nest ) and to start a D.melanogaster or D.hydei culture ( I can never remeber which one is the bigger one ) to feed them, along anything caught between my window and mosquito net.

Also, I read in one Polish source that these ants can practice polygyny, however this claim was either not supported ( sometimes hinted at ) or not mentioned by other sources, is it true those ants can have multiple queens in the nest?

Edited by NPLT, April 6 2021 - 5:57 AM.

Um, uh, Ants!

link to journal: https://www.formicul...lt-ant-journal/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formica rufibarbis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users