• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Experience with these test tubes?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NPLT - Posted April 28 2021 - 12:21 PM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationPiaseczno, Poland

Hello, I've recently been buying the things I need for keeping ants, and my first package arrived, and, well, I've bought some fancy test-tubes that seem to be new on Polish market.

Photo: 

6r3au3uz0zv61.jpg

I wanted to ask if anybody had any experience with those types of tubes? ( I mainly bought them for the funnel that I could use for refilling water, honestly not realising that the red plaster was not an insert ).

Edited by NPLT, April 28 2021 - 12:22 PM.

Um, uh, Ants!

link to journal: https://www.formicul...lt-ant-journal/

#2 Offline ZTYguy - Posted April 28 2021 - 12:28 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

i just buy test tubes cause i figuire they are cheaper but those should be great!

• NPLT likes this
Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#3 Offline ReignofRage - Posted April 28 2021 - 12:28 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • LocationCalif.

They work fine, I've seen a few people use them and have really nice colonies in them.

• NPLT likes this

#4 Offline NPLT - Posted April 28 2021 - 12:32 PM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

i just buy test tubes cause i figuire they are cheaper but those should be great!

I've also bought 10 normal test tubes, but I've never seen these previously and that piqued my curiosity, but good to know these test tubes work!

They work fine, I've seen a few people use them and have really nice colonies in them.

That's great!

Um, uh, Ants!

#5 Offline Manitobant - Posted April 28 2021 - 12:35 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I absolutely love these, one of the best nests available in my opinion (besides tar heel ants of course). They have a lot of space and can hold more ants than you expect, and the hydration/humidity levels is also great. They are also very resistant to mold and dirt, making them ideal for destructive and dirty species. I successfully raised raptiformica in them, which are notoriously dirty ants.
  • NPLT likes this

#6 Offline NPLT - Posted April 28 2021 - 12:44 PM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

I absolutely love these, one of the best nests available in my opinion (besides tar heel ants of course). They have a lot of space and can hold more ants than you expect, and the hydration/humidity levels is also great. They are also very resistant to mold and dirt, making them ideal for destructive and dirty species. I successfully raised raptiformica in them, which are notoriously dirty ants.

Good to know. I don't think there are any destructive or messy species in my area ( though, I'm yet to check the local forest, over the course of the weekend I'll probably have a couple id threads ), but it is good to know that that nest is great for humidity, would you describe it as something for more dry-loving ants or humidity lovers?

Um, uh, Ants!

#7 Offline Manitobant - Posted April 28 2021 - 5:51 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts

Good to know. I don't think there are any destructive or messy species in my area ( though, I'm yet to check the local forest, over the course of the weekend I'll probably have a couple id threads ), but it is good to know that that nest is great for humidity, would you describe it as something for more dry-loving ants or humidity lovers?
its kinda good for both, though coco fiber in the tube may be required for extremely high humidity stuff.
  • NPLT likes this

#8 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 28 2021 - 5:56 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I'm' curious, how would one move stubborn ants out of these? it does not look to me as if one could simply dump them out.

• JoeByron likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#9 Offline Manitobant - Posted April 28 2021 - 6:27 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts

I'm' curious, how would one move stubborn ants out of these? it does not look to me as if one could simply dump them out.

dumping is actually quite easy, albeit harder than a normal tube. I simply slap the side of the tube and it knocks em out.
  • JoeByron and NPLT like this

#10 Offline NPLT - Posted April 29 2021 - 1:18 AM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

its kinda good for both, though coco fiber in the tube may be required for extremely high humidity stuff.

Understood, I guess Myrmica is off the table then.

Um, uh, Ants!

#11 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted April 29 2021 - 5:16 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I don't think Myrmica would have a problem in this nest. They would probably primarily use the chambers by the reservoir.

• NPLT likes this

#12 Offline NPLT - Posted April 29 2021 - 5:35 AM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

I don't think Myrmica would have a problem in this nest. They would probably primarily use the chambers by the reservoir.

Huh? I thought Myrmica needed 90 - 95% humidity, according to Manitobant, I'd need coco fiber for them.

Um, uh, Ants!

#13 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted April 29 2021 - 5:41 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I'm not sure about species in Poland, but the species I have observed in Michigan don't seem to need nearly that high humidity.

• NPLT likes this

#14 Offline NPLT - Posted April 29 2021 - 6:48 AM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

I'm not sure about species in Poland, but the species I have observed in Michigan don't seem to need nearly that high humidity.

Most common is Myrmica rubra, others include Myrmica lobicornis, Myrmica ruginodis, Myrmica sabuleti, Myrmica rugulosa, Myrmica scabrinodis, Myrmica vandeli, Myrmica tulinae, Myrmica sulcinodis, Myrmica specioides, Myrmica lonae, Myrmica karavajevi (though, this one is an inquiline without workers ), Myrmica gallienii, Myrmica deplanata, Myrmica curvithorax, Myrmica constricta, and Myrmica schencki

Edited by NPLT, April 29 2021 - 9:07 AM.

Um, uh, Ants!

#15 Offline Manitobant - Posted April 29 2021 - 7:54 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
Myrmica would probably be fine in one tbh. If it doesn’t work out you could always move em.
  • NPLT likes this

#16 Offline NPLT - Posted April 29 2021 - 10:12 AM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Myrmica would probably be fine in one tbh. If it doesn’t work out you could always move em.

Huh? Good to know, I doubt I'll find any this season ( nor do I think I have the skills to keep them ), but who knows what my local forest holds.

Um, uh, Ants!

#17 Offline Barristan - Posted April 29 2021 - 1:23 PM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany
I prefer regular test tubes with a water chamber. You can easily see if there is no water inside the chamber while with the ones you posted it is hard to tell when it is dried out.
  • NPLT likes this

#18 Offline Manitobant - Posted April 29 2021 - 1:33 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts

I prefer regular test tubes with a water chamber. You can easily see if there is no water inside the chamber while with the ones you posted it is hard to tell when it is dried out.

true, but I usually water them every week when i feed, so it doesn’t matter that much
  • NPLT likes this

#19 Offline NPLT - Posted April 30 2021 - 5:54 AM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

true, but I usually water them every week when i feed, so it doesn’t matter that much

Alright, so, I just need to water it regularly? That should be easy enough since I'd need to do this with other non-test tube nests.

Edited by NPLT, April 30 2021 - 5:54 AM.

Um, uh, Ants!

#20 Offline AleeGuy - Posted April 30 2021 - 6:01 AM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
Bamboo tubes are great! You just have to pour warm(so the medium would absorb it quicker) water through the small tube that has a black cap on at the end of the test tube using a syringe or pipette, it absorbs water fairly slowly(in my experience) so it might take you some time.

Edited by AleeGuy, April 30 2021 - 6:04 AM.

• Manitobant, NPLT and TacticalHandleGaming like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users