• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is this a good ant nest?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 25 2021 - 7:04 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

I was thinking of getting the Ac hybrid nest mini 2.0, and I wanted some advice if it's good or not. Have any of you had any experience with this nest? Should I get it? And this would be for smaller speices like nylanderia or lasius. Or pheidole.

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted March 25 2021 - 7:25 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I would get a tar heel ants nest instead of an AC nest. They are generally a lot better and higher quality.

Edited by Manitobant, March 25 2021 - 7:25 AM.

• Skwiggledork and Chickalo like this

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 25 2021 - 7:31 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Yeah, I second THA.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 25 2021 - 8:02 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Ok. I can get a mini hearth.

#5 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted March 25 2021 - 8:17 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

I agree with Manitobant and ANTdrew. 

#6 Offline Chickalo - Posted March 25 2021 - 9:33 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

AntsCanada's products are good imo, but expensive.  THA is definitely better, plus they check for gaps if you have ants that are escape often.  The minihearth is also better for ants that like to hang on ceilings, and ants with specialized repletes will definitely appreciate the roof.  The minihearth also comes with an outworld, which is a plus, they also can either house a colony of small ants, or found a large queen :D

シグナチャーです。예.

#7 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 25 2021 - 11:35 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

that's good I'll get the mini hearth.

#8 Offline gs5248 - Posted March 25 2021 - 5:55 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

When I first got into ant keeping, I got a hybrid nest started pack, and let me tell you, that was one heck of a waste. Though I will say that the one I got was a hybrid nest version 1. First of all the outworld was the new version, so it got scratched REALLY easily, and and it got very opaque in no time. And the hybrid nest itself was also very bad. I hate the fact that you have to glue it on yourself, making the glass hard to remove. Also, the water went through the 3-d printing, causing water to pool under the nest, making a TON of mold. Then the second formicarium a got, a mini hearth, was a lot better. It has removable glass, a good watering system, and a nice outworld, All for only 35 bucks. That is 145 less than a hyrbid nest starter pack.

Edited by gs5248, March 26 2021 - 11:19 AM.

#9 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 26 2021 - 5:23 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

That sounds a lot better. I ordered it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users