• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Crematogaster (Lillyrose)

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted April 26 2021 - 3:22 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
I think I see an egg or two but I'm not sure
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): β˜… Camponotus irritans inferior, β˜… Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, β˜… Nylanderia sp., β˜… Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), β˜… Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#42 Offline Lillyrose - Posted April 28 2021 - 3:51 AM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
She laid.... she's got a pile about twice the size of her head and she's tending them. That's a good sign!

I didn't take pictures cause she's been so skittish...

Hey .. is brood when she has both eggs and larvae or just any eggs or larvae?
  • Antkeeper01 and TacticalHandleGaming like this

#43 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 28 2021 - 3:56 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

We use the term for both. That's a good sign; just keep leaving her in peace, and she'll be fine.

• Lillyrose likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#44 Offline Lillyrose - Posted May 6 2021 - 12:30 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
20210506_162541.jpg

Someone tell the queen she isn't supposed to go from egg to worker so fast... cause she didn't get the message.

My FIRST workers on my FIRST caught queen ... milestones !!!

I'm going to leave them covered for a while before I give them access to the outworld. Not sure if I should feed right away or let them alone for a little while.

I'm so happy!

#45 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted May 6 2021 - 1:20 PM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOregon

That's great! Can't wait to see how they grow! 

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica, M. ergatogyna.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel.  My ant Etsy store - Millennium Ants

#46 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 6 2021 - 2:00 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Congrats! Definitely get them some sugars ASAP.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#47 Offline Lillyrose - Posted May 6 2021 - 2:28 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Should I use a feeder and open the tube? Or just try to put a drop of the sunburst right in the tube? I don't want anyone to drown but I don't want to scare them ... not sure which way is best.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#48 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 6 2021 - 2:41 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
For now, cut a small square of paper towel and put a few drops of nectar on it. You could put a small insect piece for them, too. Put it right in the tube. I advise getting them an outworld with a nectar feeder ASAP.

#49 Offline Lillyrose - Posted May 6 2021 - 2:47 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

For now, cut a small square of paper towel and put a few drops of nectar on it. You could put a small insect piece for them, too. Put it right in the tube. I advise getting them an outworld with a nectar feeder ASAP.

Awesome .. I do have her in a small tub and tube set up .. she just doesn't have access yet.

I'll give her a feeder and do the square for now.. in case they don't want to explore yet.

Thank you
  • ANTdrew, Antkeeper01 and TacticalHandleGaming like this

#50 Offline Lillyrose - Posted May 6 2021 - 3:55 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
πŸ₯°πŸ₯°πŸ₯°πŸ₯°πŸ₯°πŸ₯°πŸ₯°πŸ₯°πŸ₯°

I did like Antdrew said and put a drop on a paper towel square .. I added a fruit fly too but it fell out of the tube so they might not eat it.

The girls went nuts.

They freaked out running back and forth, grabbing brood and bringing it to the back. Interestingly these girls were as far away from the water as they could.. but in their panic they went back there.

Then, once the brood was safe they started trying to drag her highness back ...and two tiny girls raised their little bums in their air like scorpions and started kinda trying to intimidate the square.

Well one got close and then ran. The queen sniffed her and then headed toward the square. I think she tasted the sugar when the worker got close .. or maybe she just could smell it in the air.

She dropped low on her belly and kinda stretched forward to the square. Like how a dog does when he wants to sniff something but is kinda nervous! It was so cute and so crazy that I could see her hesitation.

Once she got close enough she loved it. Stood up and went over there and started drinking... and SHE WAGGED HER TOOSHIE!!!!

Like .. I'm sure there is a reason .. maybe she's calling the girls or saying it's safe... or maybe like a dove she needs to wag as she eats .. I don't know... but to me it looked like she was wagging her tail happily! Like .. it was so undeniably cute.

I'm totally in love with her!

Please watch her wiggle! It's wonderful 😊
http://imgur.com/a/TaF8J3p
  • Kaelwizard, ANTdrew, Antkeeper01 and 1 other like this

#51 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 6 2021 - 4:13 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yup. The heart-butt waggle has to be the most endearing thing about these ants. You’re going to have a blast with these, I guarantee.
  • Antkeeper01, Lillyrose, Chickalo and 1 other like this

#52 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted May 7 2021 - 12:05 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
I love this thread

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk
  • Antkeeper01 and Lillyrose like this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): β˜… Camponotus irritans inferior, β˜… Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, β˜… Nylanderia sp., β˜… Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), β˜… Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#53 Offline Polyacanthus - Posted May 8 2021 - 8:31 PM

Polyacanthus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA
Wow did they really go from egg to worker in a week? I have a few queens I caught last year when they flew, they have a bunch of eggs but no larvae yet that I can see.

Edited by Polyacanthus, May 8 2021 - 8:32 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#54 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted May 8 2021 - 8:34 PM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOregon

Can't wait to see the next update. I really want to keep this species!

• Antkeeper01 and Lillyrose like this

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica, M. ergatogyna.

Previously kept species

Looking for

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

#55 Offline Lillyrose - Posted May 9 2021 - 9:57 AM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Wow did they really go from egg to worker in a week? I have a few queens I caught last year when they flew, they have a bunch of eggs but no larvae yet that I can see.

No no way... I'm blind as a bat and I had them in a tube that was sitting in white sand... it is much more likely that I simply didn't see them the first time ... especially since I went fast for fear of bugging her.

I do have them at like 85 degrees and that speeds it up though.
  • TacticalHandleGaming likes this

#56 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 9 2021 - 10:25 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Four weeks egg to worker is the fastest these can go. New queens go slower than that.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#57 Offline Lillyrose - Posted May 17 2021 - 6:33 AM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
These girls are so cute.

I think I have 12 workers now.

The thing I love about these girls is their butts. They always have one girl at the edge of the tube ready to fight and 2 or 3 of them walk patrols... up the tube, down the tube ..

They also will just walk upside down on the glass tube.. good climbers.

When I open the lid they run to the edge with their gasters up and pointed like they're ready to fight.

They're small enough to be skittish still and they don't leave the tube often. If food is more than an inch or so from the entrance they ignore it.

I love these girls .. They're so much fun to watch.

They love chicken by the way. 20210517_085213.jpg 20210517_084518.jpg

#58 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted May 17 2021 - 7:05 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOregon

Pretty impressive brood pile too! 

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

#59 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 17 2021 - 7:07 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Looking good!

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#60 Offline Chickalo - Posted May 17 2021 - 7:32 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

Yup. The heart-butt waggle has to be the most endearing thing about these ants. You’re going to have a blast with these, I guarantee.

I saw this with a wild colony, it was pretty amazing!  This thread is awesome, I hope they fly here.  Glad to see your colonies are doing so well!

• Antkeeper01 likes this

γ‚·γ‚°γƒŠγƒγƒ£γƒΌγ§γ™γ€‚μ˜ˆ.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users