• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Drainage in Vivarium

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline johndoe224 - Posted March 21 2021 - 7:08 AM

johndoe224

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Is pea gravel a good option for a drainage layer in a bioactive vivarium?

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 21 2021 - 7:27 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,427 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Yes, also put some small charcoal chunks on top of that for filtration. You can buy natural wood charcoal at the hardware store and break it up with a hammer. Or just look in the ashes where there's been a fire. You don't want anything with lighter fluid in it, obviously.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 21 2021 - 10:41 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Yes, also put some small charcoal chunks on top of that for filtration. You can buy natural wood charcoal at the hardware store and break it up with a hammer. Or just look in the ashes where there's been a fire. You don't want anything with lighter fluid in it, obviously.

What does charcoal do?  does it absorb waste?  If yes, does it eventually get removed, or transformed some how?  or does the charcoal somehow neutralize the waste  somehow?  or does it do something else?

Edited by BugFinder, March 21 2021 - 10:41 AM.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 21 2021 - 10:59 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,427 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’m not sure exactly, but it is a natural filter and probably neutralizes any toxins that may build up overtime.
  • BugFinder likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline justanotheramy - Posted March 21 2021 - 8:50 PM

justanotheramy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

I used filter charcoal from an aquarium shop in mine, because fish are very easily poisoned so I felt confident it would be safe from contaminates.
Charcoal works as a rough carbon filter; adsorption traps pollutants inside the pore structure.

#6 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted March 22 2021 - 4:05 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
I use a layer of gravel, put a mesh on top and then a layer of active carbon filter media.
Also if you make sure you have shallow, dry parts of soil the drainage has an easier time drying if you don't allow that it could mold.
Ants are gonna get in the drainage eventually and bacteria will get in there so better make sure the air can move around peoperly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users