• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How to fasten glass onto a formicicarium?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline RG_Ants - Posted March 15 2021 - 11:49 AM

RG_Ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

I have recently built a hydrostone formicarium, but I am having difficulty fixing the glass to the actual nest. I have tried screws, but they do not seem to stay in the hydrostone. My other option was magnets, but I could not find adequately sized ones. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to fix this issue? Your help is much appreciated.

-DnD7lY67Tapmjg4rslgbRKSs3Kvu5cp8qFZ0zEYEJerwtNKzk0Uth4x8ZW12Dr_m1sBaZLKzYzCQZNH

#2 Offline FSTP - Posted March 15 2021 - 12:45 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Why couldn't you find the right size magnet? You can literally get them in any shape, size, and strength. I'd go with magnets. 

#3 Offline RG_Ants - Posted March 15 2021 - 12:54 PM

RG_Ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Why couldn't you find the right size magnet? You can literally get them in any shape, size, and strength. I'd go with magnets. 

I could fit them on 3 corners, but one was too small for any sized magnet to fit on.

#4 Offline Manitobant - Posted March 15 2021 - 12:56 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Use screws. Make a hole in the glass and use a screwdriver.

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 15 2021 - 12:57 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,429 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Go with 100% silicone then. It is still technically removable. Loctite brand is a good one.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline RG_Ants - Posted March 15 2021 - 12:58 PM

RG_Ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Use screws. Make a hole in the glass and use a screwdriver.

As I mentioned, screws would not stay in the hydrostone for some reason. I think they could not find traction. Thanks for the reply though.

Go with 100% silicone then. It is still technically removable. Loctite brand is a good one.

Thank you very much. I will try that.

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 15 2021 - 1:25 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,429 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Another option could be drilling larger holes and gluing in some plastic wall anchors to screw into. You’d need to make sure they were totally flush to prevent gaps. Silicone would be way easier, though.
  • B_rad0806 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#8 Offline RG_Ants - Posted March 15 2021 - 4:21 PM

RG_Ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Just a quick question for you guys. Once the formicariums are finished, and are attached to an outworld, would anyone be interested in purchasing one of these for a reasonable price?

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 15 2021 - 4:28 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,429 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Perfect your design and test it out on actual ants before selling.

#10 Offline RG_Ants - Posted March 15 2021 - 4:32 PM

RG_Ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Yes, I will be sure to do that. This is just a prototype.

#11 Offline RG_Ants - Posted March 15 2021 - 5:12 PM

RG_Ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

deleted

Edited by RG_Ants, March 15 2021 - 5:15 PM.

#12 Offline RG_Ants - Posted March 17 2021 - 12:24 PM

RG_Ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

I tried this out and it works great. Thank you.NkJBrfVoGD6IzSlfmHFTbBpULSzcTuyu8q6dYPhT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users